The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

31 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I think that given the way the Orioles are playing right now, and the somewhat soft schedule left, they can do better than .500. The chance of getting to 100 is real, which would be something else.

Expecting .500 to still win the division would be bold, anyway. Tampa’s still only 3 back and have a similar remaining schedule, including obviously the 4 in Baltimore. 

22 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Expecting .500 to still win the division would be bold, anyway. Tampa’s still only 3 back and have a similar remaining schedule, including obviously the 4 in Baltimore. 

Well if that .500 includes splitting those 4 in Baltimore, then we would have the tiebreak and even at 3 back, they would have to make up 4 games in the othhr 44 to beat us for the division. 6-18 They'd have to go 26-18 in their 44 games that aren't against us.   That's do-able for them but certainly not easy.

I think if we go 26-24 including a split with Tampa, that is probably what it takes to win the division.   They'd have to go 27-17 in their other 44 games which is a higher win% then they have had all season.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well if that .500 includes splitting those 4 in Baltimore, then we would have the tiebreak and even at 3 back, they would have to make up 4 games in the othhr 44 to beat us for the division. 6-18 They'd have to go 26-18 in their 44 games that aren't against us.   That's do-able for them but certainly not easy.

I think if we go 26-24 including a split with Tampa, that is probably what it takes to win the division.   They'd have to go 27-17 in their other 44 games which is a higher win% then they have had all season.

Why would you expect them to go 26-24?

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

Why would you expect them to go 26-24?

Wasn't expecting anything.   FlipTheBird said .500 wouldn't be enough to win the division.   I did some math and saw that if we got .500 including a split with TB, TB would have to go 26-18 to beat us.   Which is about what they have done so far this year.

So if we just do one game better than .500 -- 26-24 -- then Tampa would have to go 27-17 which is a higher win% then they have done all year.

So basically my point is that I agree with FlipTheBIrd that .500 doesn't quite win the division -- but just one extra win, assuming it includes a split with Tampa, and our chances would be pretty good.  

We have set ourselves up very well.

31 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wasn't expecting anything.   FlipTheBird said .500 wouldn't be enough to win the division.   I did some math and saw that if we got .500 including a split with TB, TB would have to go 26-18 to beat us.   Which is about what they have done so far this year.

So if we just do one game better than .500 -- 26-24 -- then Tampa would have to go 27-17 which is a higher win% then they have done all year.

So basically my point is that I agree with FlipTheBIrd that .500 doesn't quite win the division -- but just one extra win, assuming it includes a split with Tampa, and our chances would be pretty good.  

We have set ourselves up very well.

I got you. I'm a bit groggy so I missed that. I'm hoping for 28-22 which is very possible.

My apologies for not understanding the full conversation.

36 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 1966 Orioles had a 102 ERA+.  The 2023 Orioles had a 103 going into today, and just pitched a shutout.

The AL league ERA in 1966 was 3.44, and the O's played in a pitcher's park.  McNally had a 3.17, Palmer a 3.46, Bunker a 4.29, John Miller a 4.74, and Eddie Watt a 3.83. I don't know what stonewall pitching is, but the '66 Birds were a bit above average.

True, but the Orioles posted team ERA+ of 126 in 1969, 116 in 1970 and  113 in 1971. The 1971 Orioles had four 20 game winners and were objectively the worst pitching staff of the 1969-71 run.

I wasn't even born yet, but when I think about the 1969 Orioles blowing the World Series it crushes me. I can't imagine what it was like for the fans who can rememeber it. The 1969 is one of the best single season teams of all time even without winning it all.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 1966 Orioles had a 102 ERA+.  The 2023 Orioles had a 103 going into today, and just pitched a shutout.

The AL league ERA in 1966 was 3.44, and the O's played in a pitcher's park.  McNally had a 3.17, Palmer a 3.46, Bunker a 4.29, John Miller a 4.74, and Eddie Watt a 3.83. I don't know what stonewall pitching is, but the '66 Birds were a bit above average.

The 1966 World Series was the championship series of Major League Baseball's (MLB) 1966 season. The 63rd edition of the World Series, it was a best-of-seven playoff between the American League (AL) champion Baltimore Orioles and National League (NL) champion (and defending World Series champion) Los Angeles Dodgers. The Orioles swept the series in four games to capture their first championship in franchise history. It was the last World Series played before MLB introduced the Commissioner's Trophy the following year. The Dodgers suffered record low scoring, accumulating just two runs over the course of the series (both of which were in the first game), the lowest number of runs ever scored by any team in a World Series.

8 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The 1966 World Series was the championship series of Major League Baseball's (MLB) 1966 season. The 63rd edition of the World Series, it was a best-of-seven playoff between the American League (AL) champion Baltimore Orioles and National League (NL) champion (and defending World Series champion) Los Angeles Dodgers. The Orioles swept the series in four games to capture their first championship in franchise history. It was the last World Series played before MLB introduced the Commissioner's Trophy the following year. The Dodgers suffered record low scoring, accumulating just two runs over the course of the series (both of which were in the first game), the lowest number of runs ever scored by any team in a World Series.

Sure, I'm reasonably familiar with what the World Series is and of the history of the Orioles. The 1966 Orioles' staff had a great week. But they won the pennant because they easily had the best offense in the American League.

• Upvote 1