Cade Povich 2023

Getz

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, he threw 32 strikes. so he had a few guys chasing.  Are you aware that in the major leagues, only 42% of pitches are in the strike zone?  

This feels a little like playing devil's advocate just to play devil's advocate. It was an awful outing, period. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, he threw 32 strikes. so he had a few guys chasing.  Are you aware that in the major leagues, only 42% of pitches are in the strike zone?  

Was I aware?  Yes.  But it wasn't at the forefront when I posted.  That's valid and good context. 

I also didn't look at first pitch strikes or how those non-competitive pitches fell into the pitch sequence for each ABs either.  Maybe he fell behind and threw some meat pitches behind the count leading to 5 hard hits out of 10 balls in play?

3 hours ago, interloper said:

This feels a little like playing devil's advocate just to play devil's advocate. It was an awful outing, period. 

I’m just pointing out that it isn’t at all unusual to throw more pitches outside the strike zone than inside the strike zone.  I’m not defending Povich’s outing.  Anyone who’s followed my posts about Povich this year knows that I’m extremely frustrated with his inconsistency from one game to the next, this one being an extreme example.  

@btdart20had a very good point that a lot of the pitches off the plate weren’t competitive.  The reason major league pitchers throw less than half their pitches in the strike zone is they’re trying to get hitters to swing at pitches outside the strike zone.  A slider 4 inches off the plate on an 0-2 count is a very good pitch; a slider a foot off the plate on a 0-0 count is terrible.  Grayson was throwing a lot of the latter during his April/May stint; now he’s throwing the former and it’s very effective.  Povich looks like he was all over the place yesterday. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to watch him for the first time in several weeks.  He looked really good today, lost some control in the 6th with pitch count creeping towards 100.  I think he had 2 walks in the 6th otherwise this was a rock solid outing.  

Fastball velo held 93-94 in the 5th, which it didn't do a year ago.  

1 hour ago, HuskerFan said:

Finally got to watch him for the first time in several weeks.  He looked really good today, lost some control in the 6th with pitch count creeping towards 100.  I think he had 2 walks in the 6th otherwise this was a rock solid outing.  

Fastball velo held 93-94 in the 5th, which it didn't do a year ago.  

Giving off some Cliff Lee vibes with his delivery/pitching motion. 

• Upvote 2

It feels like Povich and McDermott will continue to develop and push their way into our staff at some point next season. I'm excited about both of them.

It's ok that neither are elite prospects. Both can be very good ML pitchers, IMO. They give me Bradish vibes in terms of under the radar prospect status with the potential to be very good at the next level. It just takes a little time and consistent work.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:12 AM, Frobby said:

Not sure where you got that 42% number from, but according to statcast for pitches in 2023, 49.1 % of the 632,981 were in the zone.

20 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Needs to get stronger, maintain that 93-94 mph (hopefully more) from start to start and get more consistent command.   He’s got potential but I don’t think he reaches it unless he becomes a workout warrior and puts on 10-20 good pounds.

Just checking his bios from junior college to Nebraska to current and adding 20 pounds doesn't seem likely.  He's been listed as 185 pounds since his first year at Nebraska in 2020 and is currently listed at 185 pounds with the O's.  Felt weird doing it but I did search google images for him at junior college and with Norfolk, he looks more physical now than he did 4 years ago.  93-94 with his secondary pitches will work at the next level.  His control at Norfolk has been way too inconsistent though.    

He's had 8 starts in Norfolk:

5 starts = 27.2 IP, 1.95 ERA.  

3 starts = 6.2 IP, 21.62 ERA.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

It feels like Povich and McDermott will continue to develop and push their way into our staff at some point next season. I'm excited about both of them.

It's ok that neither are elite prospects. Both can be very good ML pitchers, IMO. They give me Bradish vibes in terms of under the radar prospect status with the potential to be very good at the next level. It just takes a little time and consistent work.

I'd call McDermott's season quite encouraging, and Povich's somewhat disappointing.   Simply put, both have a lot of talent, but McDermott has been way more consistent.   Povich is dazzling one game and terrible the next.   Doesn't necesarily mean that McDermott is the better prospect, but Povich has more work to do to maximize his talent IMO.   It should be noted that Povich is about 20 months younger.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'd call McDermott's season quite encouraging, and Povich's somewhat disappointing.   Simply put, both have a lot of talent, but McDermott has been way more consistent.   Povich is dazzling one game and terrible the next.   Doesn't necesarily mean that McDermott is the better prospect, but Povich has more work to do to maximize his talent IMO.   It should be noted that Povich is about 20 months younger.

I agree with all of this. For those reasons, I'd rate McDermott above Povich, but the LH profile with really good stuff and 20 month age difference makes it close for me.