Dodgers are getting desperate at SS

Sports Guy

Just now, wildcard said:

2.7m in late July.  Elias can find a way to work that in a trade.

If he’s allowed to.

And again, Frazier has to be good enough to warrant someone wanting to trade for him.

Its just not a scenario that should be considered right now and even if he is traded, you aren’t getting anything for him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Otter said:

I don't see Elias making any bold trades like this.  Based on his actions, or lack of actions, my guess is he plans to let things work themselves out regarding the logjam of infielders at AAA and the major league club.  I think he'll hold onto all the infielders and wait to see if there are injuries, poor individual performance, or poor team performance that pushes him to make moves before the trade deadline.  I'm not saying I agree, just that I think that's his M.O.  Personally, I'd prefer to trade players at deep positions at the height of their value rather than wait to see which players fail before deciding who's a keeper or not.

I agree in that the deadline would probably provide the better trade opportunities as opposed to April.

But if things hold as they are now, he is going to have to do something by then. Ortiz as an example, will be 26 next season and by then will have been at AAA for well over a year. There is a such thing as being too cautious and holding onto assets too long, where they start to lose value.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So if we cannot get value back from them in terms of prospects, why would we do it? Do they have something of worth to part with from their Major League team that can help us win?

I just view Ortiz as much more valuable in terms of a trade asset than Urias.

The fly in the punch is "What ML pitcher are you hoping to get from the Dodgers who will help the O's win this year?"  Beyond Gunnar/Jackson (if we're talking the whole org), none of the SS options in the org is a lock to return a current ML TOR SP.  Mateo is the only other potential SS who comes close at this point.

I'm already crossing off Julio Urias, Dustin May, CLayton Kershaw, and Walker Buehler off the list of SPs the LAD are willing to trade.  Do we really want Gonsolin when he's healthy?  Or Syndergaard (if so, why didn't we just sign him as an FA)?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not believing in a player's recent hot streak and hoping that another team willing to trade for him does believe is one of my favorite OH wet dreams of all time.  

Brewers fans saw that dream come true in 2015 with Gerardo Parra.   They got a starting pitcher who put up a 110 ERA+ for them in 111 starts.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If the Dodgers view Urias as a SS option that could work.  Can’t see the O’s trading the best SS in baseball right now.  Lol

This really isn’t that crazy. I don’t think there is anyway you can trade away Mateo right now. He’s a GG level SS, we’re trying to compete, speed alone might land him 80 steals, then has he put it all together?  

I think Urias would be the target for them, but we also need him against LHP. However, we could call use Westburg a replacement. 

I’m not saying Mateo is untouchable, but we’d have to get one MLB ready SP, an MLB ready reliever, and a SP prospect that is in at least AA. 

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Can we trade Mateo and not hurt the major league team greatly this season?

Gunnar would be the SS vs RHP. Westburg would come up to take Mateo’s roster spot and to rotate in. We would have to get a serious pitcher haul for that to be worth it. Sounds crazy but Pablo Lopez type value is what Mateo is worth right now. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar would be the SS vs RHP. Westburg would come up to take Mateo’s roster spot and to rotate in. We would have to get a serious pitcher haul for that to be worth it. Sounds crazy but Pablo Lopez type value is what Mateo is worth right now. 

I'm not saying I would never do it, but trading Mateo certainly weakens the major league team this year.

• Upvote 2