What if Mateo and Urias are part of the future?

TommyPickles

36 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, Mateo had an old Mateo at bat last night and it scared me.  Swings at slider outside.  Fouls slider on outside half.  Check swing on high fastball way up for strike three.   Seemed like he was trying to do too much last night.  Don’t go homer hunting, Jorge!

And it was immediately after Santander’s 16 pitch AB.  I think often after an AB like that, the pitcher is tired and anxious for a quick out and throws something the next batter can hammer.  I think Mateo was anticipating that and got overly anxious, and swung at three pitches outside the zone.  Terrible at bat and hopefully we won’t see that too often in upcoming games.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, Mateo had an old Mateo at bat last night and it scared me.  Swings at slider outside.  Fouls slider on outside half.  Check swing on high fastball way up for strike three.   Seemed like he was trying to do too much last night.  Don’t go homer hunting, Jorge!

Which is why I hate the idea of moving him up to higher stress position in the batting order because he is hot. Leave him at 8th, let this reworked approach become muscle memory, the sky is the limit.

• Upvote 2

With Elias' approach to building the farm system we all knew this day was approaching. At some point the Orioles will need to trade their surplus of position player talent to fill in other holes (starting pitching) on the team.

Mateo and Elias haven't been held in the same regard as Gunnar and Westburg, but maybe one or both are guys the Orioles should keep even though they weren't top rated prospects.

We have to trust in Elias and the front office to make the right decisions that hopefully turn the Orioles into a consistent playoff team. When it comes to trading besides pitching a plus bat that could play DH/1B or corner outfield might be a good addition.

Mostly, I'm interested in pitching though the offense will continue to improve over the next couple years as prospects make it to MLB.

4 hours ago, backdoorslider said:

Bobby Witt Jr. and his -22 runs saved was suppose to be a legit MLB Shortstop. Fact is man, it's very hard to find an MLB caliber shortstop. Not even Manny could cut it.

I know I repped you, but I just wanted to say these are excellent posts. I haven’t seen Holliday play, so I can’t comment on him, but there is a giant leap from high school, college, or minor league shortstop to MLB shortstop. The idea that we have 3  or more no doubt MLB shortstops in the system strikes me as crazy.

• Upvote 1