Alex Cobb

sevastras

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I firmly believe that if the O's had not forfeited their second round pick in the 2018 draft they would have picked Grenier in the second round instead of the first.

Today's Mateo and Gunnar does give me a little bit of a Hardy and Machado do over feeling.     The 15% of Manny's career defensive games started at SS still feel to me like a waste, but of course the end of the line Duquette-Buck teams had nothing anywhere.      Another 1.5 prime seasons there could have helped him in eventual barstool debates vs. Schmidt.

I'd guess Cobb enjoyed Renato Nunez about as much as the short wall.

Cobb's LA allowed is -1.3 (career 5.5, MLB avg 12.1). 

GB% is 64.4% (career is 54.2, 2022 was 61.9, MLB avg is 44.8)

Hammer CB - plus vertical break.

Sweeper/Slider - plus vertical and plus horizontal break.  New for him in 2023.  Looks like it's getting hit pretty hard but is probably a show-me pitch.

EV allowed is over 90 MPH compared to 88.4 league average.  

IMO, he's doing something right to get that GB%.  1.70 ERA isn't sustainable, but a 3.20-3.50 is feasible.

I feel burned by Cobb from the last go-around. 

He was a good starter before we signed him.  Injured and mediocre while healthy for the three years he was here. 

Went back to being good when he left Baltimore.  Frustrating. 

Edited by ChuckS

7 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Cobb is solid and would probably perform much better than last time with the new wall and the 2023 defense. 

But we should be in a position where we're targeting the elite assets on the market, not the decent ones. 

Not many elite assets on non-contenders/likely sellers to target.

That said, I highly doubt we would target Cobb, even though we are currently paying him.

Edited by DirtyBird

4 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

What did we get for Cobb when we traded him?  I can’t remember which trade he was. I was barely paying attention back then. 

Jahmai Jones, who graced us with -0.6 WAR in 2021 and now plays in AAA for the Dodgers after being passed on the depth chart by about 17 of our homegrown prospects. 

59 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Jahmai Jones, who graced us with -0.6 WAR in 2021 and now plays in AAA for the Dodgers after being passed on the depth chart by about 17 of our homegrown prospects. 

Thanks.  That probably helps explain why I didn't remember, LOL.  That's about the quality player I'd give up for Cobb now, in fact.  Godspeed to him and glad he's doing well, but zero interest in bringing him back.

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I had about that same reaction when I heard it on a broadcast recently.     

Its one of the reasons anytime I think about the need to trade a player who may be QO good or acquire a player who is QO good, I start with Jordan Westburg as a baseline concept.     Not necessarily him precisely, but you get the idea.

I already wonder if Mullins' career may be evolving to a Goldilocks zone where 1/24 (or whatever it will be up to for 2026) might be viable.

Mike Elias will be dispassionate and evaluate Cobb with all the rest as is his job, but man will it be weird if that is the play.

It could be that is why Elias has been very tentative about trading anyone in the Santander/Hays/Urias group. It's reasonable to think they might end up with better resumes than Trumbo/Conforto/Castellanos.

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It could be that is why Elias has been very tentative about trading anyone in the Santander/Hays/Urias group. It's reasonable to think they might end up with better resumes than Trumbo/Conforto/Castellanos.

Maybe, but I think Mullins is a cut above.    

I might take one of them there Draft Kings parlays they so desperately want if they'd give me one on will Mike Elias not issue qualifying offers to Santander, Hays or Urias :)      The house would probably make me lose if they don't get all the way to FA with BAL.

They are all good supporting cast members on a winning team to enjoy for a good while longer first.    Santander is best DH even if Colton Cowser builds a Lego prison for all of Santander's fielding gloves!

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Thanks.  That probably helps explain why I didn't remember, LOL.  That's about the quality player I'd give up for Cobb now, in fact.  Godspeed to him and glad he's doing well, but zero interest in bringing him back.

Cobb is pitching better now than he was then, he costs less than he costed then, and our team and stadium are better suited to him now than they were then.  If he was still pitching well in July, I wouldn’t be against a reunion if we had the need.  

• Upvote 1