Official Luis Torrens Appreciation Thread

Legend_Of_Joey

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Exactly. The front office wasted who knows how much money in "cash considerations" (probably around a million dollars) just to acquire the rights to put Torrens in the Orioles organization.

It's wasting Angelo's money and wasteful things like that are why he's going to be stingy and restricted with the budgets. 

So when people complain why they don't spend on big name free agents, it's things like this is why. Ownership doesn't want the front office to waste money just because Ownership made it available.

For all we know it was literally a dollar.  He wasn't a coveted commodity.

• Upvote 1

This is another classic Mike "smartest person in the room" Elias move that we all question at the time, like Brett Phillips and Jesus Aguilar. The thought is that maybe in a few weeks or months, it will all make sense, but come to find out, no, it didn't. It was a dumb move just like we thought. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How did he have the option to choose Free Agency?  I thought he hadn’t been DFA’d before. 

He was DFA'd and outrighted in 2022 also.

https://www.milb.com/player/luis-torrens-620443

August 14, 2022Seattle Mariners sent C Luis Torrens outright to Tacoma Rainiers.

August 11, 2022Seattle Mariners designated C Luis Torrens for assignment.

I know Elias is probably a genius and way smarter than me but some of his choices are just bizarre to me.  Staying with Odor last year.  Not playing Stowers much last year.  Getting this dude.  Getting the second base guy before the season.  

I would love to sit down with him and have him explain his thinking because some of this is very confusing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Exactly. The front office wasted who knows how much money in "cash considerations" (probably around a million dollars) just to acquire the rights to put Torrens in the Orioles organization.

It's wasting Angelo's money and wasteful things like that are why he's going to be stingy and restricted with the budgets. 

So when people complain why they don't spend on big name free agents, it's things like this is why. Ownership doesn't want the front office to waste money just because Ownership made it available.

I think you are wildly off base with how much you think we spent.  I think it is likely to be around 50k or less

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

This is another classic Mike "smartest person in the room" Elias move that we all question at the time, like Brett Phillips and Jesus Aguilar. The thought is that maybe in a few weeks or months, it will all make sense, but come to find out, no, it didn't. It was a dumb move just like we thought. 

I am starting to think most of these moves is to not start a players clock.  Just roster management of the prospects.  

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

It's not a dumb move unless it had a negative consequence. We have no idea how much money it cost other than a few days worth of his salary. We risked losing Krehbiel but he passed through so it's all good. Unnecessary? Maybe but that doesn't really make it dumb. I really don't think Elias is sitting around trying to think of ways to look smarter than everyone.