Ortiz looks like the right man for the job right now.

wildcard

One of the biggest problems with bringing up a prospect is finding  enough playing time for them to be productive.  Stowers did not get that level of PT this season. 

With Mateo not hitting,  Frazier not hitting great and Urias out for at least 12 more days, there are enough at bats at SS/2B/DH to play Ortiz about 3/4 of the time. ( I have not seen enough of Ortiz playing SS to see how much of a downgrade he is there)

Hays, Mullins and Santander are going to play most of the time.   And McKenna is hitting for a 892 OPS vs lefties which puts him in the lineup vs lefties and Santander at DH.

Mountcastle is going to play most games and the O's seem committed to Gunnar at 3B for at least a month more.   If he does not hit after that they might have to rethink things.

Adley is in the lineup at C/DH most days.  And so far this year it does not seem to matter if McCann plays against lefties or righties. He does not hit either very well.  So McCann should not be DHing at all.

While Cowser does not reach the 200 PA level this season for another week that means Elias will probably wait that long to declare he has mastered AAA.   But there are not enough at bats to call up Cowser or Westburg  and give them the PT they deserve for a good trial.  Not until there are more injuries.  Unless you think Westburg is a better SS/2B than Ortiz.   Both require a  40 man roster addition.  Ortiz is already on the 40 man.

So I think Elias has promoted his prospect addition in Ortiz until Urias is back.  But he may prove me wrong.    Let see how Ortis hits.  There does not seem to be much doubt he can play defense at a high level.

JMO

Edited by wildcard

7 minutes ago, bublooo said:

Westburg is the guy they need he has a beter bat than Ortiz and isn't that far behind defensivley. He is tearing up AAA

From what I can tell, the defensive gap is significant.  Not because Westburg is bad, but because Ortiz is really, really good.  I do think Westburg is the better offensive player.  Overall, I see them as about equal, it’s just a matter of whether offense or defense is needed more.  And, the fact that Ortiz is on the 40-man roster is a tie-breaker.   

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From what I can tell, the defensive gap is significant.  Not because Westburg is bad, but because Ortiz is really, really good.  I do think Westburg is the better offensive player.  Overall, I see them as about equal, it’s just a matter of whether offense or defense is needed more.  And, the fact that Ortiz is on the 40-man roster is a tie-breaker.   

I’ve seen them both several times in Norfolk, and I personally don’t think the offensive gap between Westburg in Ortiz us as significant as it is made out to be. Ortiz doesn’t have as much pop, but makes more contact. I think it’s more of a question as to what you prefer, but I’m a big fan of Ortiz and think he’d give the team exceptional defense at second and give the team consistent professional ABs with a low strikeout rate.

Based on Elias's last interview it doesn't look like Cowser is going to come up any time soon. Elias said despite Cowser having good numbers in AAA, Cowser hasn't really spent that much time there and hasn't graduated from AAA yet.

Just now, cheecks said:

Based on Elias's last interview it doesn't look like Cowser is going to come up any time soon. Elias said despite Cowser having good numbers in AAA, Cowser hasn't really spent that much time there and hasn't graduated from AAA yet.

Yes, but as someone pointed out, he has more PA than either Adley or Gunnsr did in AAA, and he has a higher OPS there than either of them did.   So, if it’s just a matter of counting games, at bats and OPS, he’s ready to graduate.  What we don’t know is, are there specific things such as hitting breaking stuff or pitches in certain locations that Elias is looking at, beyond the numbers.  And then there’s just the fact that we have 3 outfielders doing well and can afford to be patient with Cowser, regardless of whether he’s ready.  

The only spot that's available for a OF prospect to play is RF, and that's only because Santander can DH and play first base. Part of me thinks that is why he's started to play first base now. They probably want to create a spot where some of the Baby Birds can get some playing time. But at the same time, that doesn't do much for lineup strength because it means you would have to bump Mountcastle out of the lineup from 1st base, and the lineup is weaker without him.

I really am going to have a bag of popcorn the day of the trade deadline, because I can only imagine what Elias might be working on in the months leading up. So much talent, so few places to play.

Cowser could be here right now and getting regular reps and at bats in RF with Santander becoming the primary DH and occasional 1Bman.  But, I don't see regular opportunities for Ortiz and Westburg until one or both of Mateo and Frazier are moved.  And, I don't see that happening soon.  Neither of them has many, if any, reps in the outfield and the only place for them would be LF which Hays occupies.  I would love to see a Henderson (3B), Ortiz (SS), Westburg (2B) infield until Holliday arrives.  But, I just don't see it happening this year.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 11:58 AM, Frobby said:

Yes, but as someone pointed out, he has more PA than either Adley or Gunnsr did in AAA, and he has a higher OPS there than either of them did.   So, if it’s just a matter of counting games, at bats and OPS, he’s ready to graduate.  What we don’t know is, are there specific things such as hitting breaking stuff or pitches in certain locations that Elias is looking at, beyond the numbers.  And then there’s just the fact that we have 3 outfielders doing well and can afford to be patient with Cowser, regardless of whether he’s ready.  

This is a little apples-oranges IMO. Adley and Gunnar were uber-prospects that were a level above Cowser, and they also lost the COVID year in what would have been their first full MiLB season, so their trajectories aren't 100% generalizable.