Tuesday, May 16: Orioles vs Angels

SteveA

I remember about five or more years ago listening to Tom Davis say on MASN he does not bring up minor league players when discussing the Orioles because he thought it wasnt appropriate.  The Orioles were Major Leaguers and he wanted to keep it to that.   

Obviously when the Orioles began sucking so hard the last five years that idea was tossed out the window.  Now they love bringing up the kids in the minors.  I think it is a much better idea.  I  like them hyping the kids.  Before the internet it was nearly impossible to know how your minor leagues were doing.  Never was able to follow them till this site began.  

• Upvote 1

What do we do in the 9th with a 4+ run lead?

• Cionel for a 3rd inning?   Seems unlikely, he's thrown 19 pitches
  • Cole Irvin?   Doesn't seem like a 1 inning guy.
  • Coulombe?   Threw 16 pitches last nigt, if e goes tonight he's on the shelf tomorrow.
  • Only other choices are Bautista or Cano, who I'm sure we would like to avoid with two games in a 20 hour period coming up tomorrow night/Thursday afternoon.

TV guys haven't told us who is up.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

What do we do in the 9th with a 4+ run lead?

• Cionel for a 3rd inning?   Seems unlikely, he's thrown 19 pitches
  • Cole Irvin?   Doesn't seem like a 1 inning guy.
  • Coulombe?   Threw 16 pitches last nigt, if e goes tonight he's on the shelf tomorrow.
  • Only other choices are Bautista or Cano, who I'm sure we would like to avoid with two games in a 20 hour period coming up tomorrow night/Thursday afternoon.

TV guys haven't told us who is up.

Ben says Cano.

Guess he would still be available for Wednesday as long as he doesn't throw a lot of pitches.

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Please don’t bring in cano for the 9th Hyde. You can make sure someone is ready, just in case, but bring in Irvin or voth etc 

No way Voth was going to go 3 days in a row.  I was surpirsed he went two days in a row, being a converted starter who I don't think has gone back to back very much before.

And I guess Irvin is still being saved for a long relief outing if a starter gets knocked out early.

From a purely “people management” standpoint, I think you let Pérez go out on that positive note. Don’t try to get more out of him and end up deflating him if he struggles in search of 9 outs. He’s such a confidence-driven guy, and he was fantastic tonight — let him go home feeling fantastic.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't know about blowout.   But we have had a grand total of TWO games all year where we have:

• Led by 4 runs or more going into the 7th
  • Stayed up by at least 4 runs for the rest of the game

April 4 (7-2 win at Texas) and April 22 (5-1 win vs Detroit).   Both were Gibson starts.

And there is the 3rd!!!

10 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I remember about five or more years ago listening to Tom Davis say on MASN he does not bring up minor league players when discussing the Orioles because he thought it wasnt appropriate.  The Orioles were Major Leaguers and he wanted to keep it to that.   

Obviously when the Orioles began sucking so hard the last five years that idea was tossed out the window.  Now they love bringing up the kids in the minors.  I think it is a much better idea.  I  like them hyping the kids.  Before the internet it was nearly impossible to know how your minor leagues were doing.  Never was able to follow them till this site began.  

I love a lot of the players we have on the major league team, but I think it is good for them to know someone is gunning for their job.