MacPhail speaks @ 4:30 Phone Press Conference

bomp

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if Garrett Olson has a good 2008 season in the majors will it have mattered so much that we didn't get rid of Traschel so he could have a couple extra starts? I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice for Olson to be getting those starts, but it's not necessarilly the end of the world that he's not.

Maybe the experience he may lose will have mattered who knows? What we do know is that Trachsel adds nothing to the team right now. If we put him on the 60 day DL now and just never use him, or if we simply DFA him, I will be fine with that.

Yes, I just want to get past this dissapointment of a deadline and move on. MacPhail's got a lot of work to do, and he's getting a late start at doing it.

As far as I'm concerned the count is 0-1...

Wow. That was one long, irrational and somewhat abrasive strike one call.

Three days of nothing but "MacPhail is a joke" and "MacPhail is lying" and it's still only "strike one"?

For the last time, I don't care what we could have gotten back for these guys! I would have eaten half of their salaries and taken literally nothing in return! Are you saying the Mets wouldn't have taken Payton if we ate half his salary and they didn't have to give us anything? (If it's against baseball rules to trade someone for nothing, then we could trade him for a random PTBNL with no chance at future success).

You realize you want to get rid of him at all costs (because you think he is bad) .... to a team looking to upgrade for the playoffs. It's twisted logic to say that a fourth place team has little need for him, but that a first place team does.

Further, the playoff team you speak off is not going to make decisions worrying about $2M of salary.

You realize you want to get rid of him at all costs (because you think he is bad) .... to a team looking to upgrade for the playoffs. It's twisted logic to say that a fourth place team has little need for him, but that a first place team does.

Further, the playoff team you speak off is not going to make decisions worrying about $2M of salary.

I didn't say he was bad. He can add value to a team as a reserve. Let's say hypothetically he adds 1-2 wins this year over whoever would replace him in our organization. Since we are a 4th place team, those wins are not important this year. Meanwhile, teams with injuries like the Mets could use him as a stopgap and a reserve to help them get the push they need. Meanwhile, we avoid having to pay all of his salary when he declines even further next year. Also, while I think a guy like Knott could out-produce him, a team in playoff contention can not afford or may not want to take a risk like that.

Yes, I just want to get past this dissapointment of a deadline and move on. MacPhail's got a lot of work to do, and he's getting a late start at doing it.

As far as I'm concerned the count is 0-1...

No, as far as YOU'RE concerned he has struck out five times and dropped two easy fly balls to cost us the game in his first game with the team.

That's where the problem lies.

So what's going on? Has MacPhail started his press conference? What's he saying?

I'll try to sum it up in paraprhases...(although someone sent me a link a few minutes ago to Drew Forrester's blog at WNST.net where he quoted me/my question in his own transcript of sorts)...

MacPhail on...

1. O's fans being disappointed in not landing Tex...

If we gave up what Texas wanted in return, O's fans would have been even MORE disappointed

2. Trembley...

Obviously happy with the job he's done so far. Safe to say it's his job for this season. They'll (gasp) sit down and talk with Dave to evaluate during the off-season.

3. Did the O's even come close to a deal?

No. Plenty of deals were explored, but none came close to consummation.

4. (My question) Considering the team's un-official reputation for being difficult to deal with at the deadline and during the off-season. Did he find any difficulty when compared to previous experience in dealing with his current Major League counterparts in terms of getting a deal done? Did it contribute to ultimately no deals being made?

He didn't get that feeling at all. He didn't feel like anyone was reluctant or apprehensive toward him or the team over the last few days.

No, as far as YOU'RE concerned he has struck out five times and dropped two easy fly balls to cost us the game in his first game with the team.

That's where the problem lies.

I don't have a problem, just an opinion. MacPhail is going to have to convince me more than he has. Signing Wieters would be a good start.

Here's where my problem is:

There was some interest in outfielder Jay Payton, first baseman Kevin Millar and reliever Chad Bradford, but the Orioles apparently didn't feel that they would get enough in return to warrant moving a player that is occupying a key role.

link

Playing a key role in what? Our 10th straight losing season?

It'll probably be a generic talk about how the market didn't play out as they expected, they weren't getting what they thought were fair offers, and teams were asking unreasonable things. But don't worry. We're happy with the guys we have, and they are going to keep fighting while we continue the process of assembling a winner.

Yah, what I was expecting. Absolutely nothing.

And to think, I had actually been excited that one move would have been made. Not that I was expecting a major turnaround, but one move compared to the usually *nothing* was exciting.

Archived