Alex Pham 2023

Frobby

Last week Alex Pham came to my attention when he struck out 11 in 5 innings for Aberdeen.  Tonight, 4 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 3 BB, 6 K’s in 80 pitches.  He’s now thrown 22 consecutive scoreless innings dating back to April 18, when he allowed a single run in a 4 inning relief appearance.  

I understand he is a small guy with an underwhelming FB (topping out at 91-92) but good breaking stuff.  Arguably he’s not a prospect, but when someone throws 22 consecutive scoreless innings, I say he deserves a thread.  Also, 40 strikeouts in 27.1 IP is nothing to sneeze at.  

• Upvote 2

I watched a few IPs of the game yesterday.  Good life on his FB and a plus vertical break on his SL.  I couldn't tell if he had any other pitches.  He can hang a slider here/there.  And the command can get loose.  His built legs and quick stride to home reminds me a bit of Spenser Strider.  He should be on our radar now.  But I'll be really interested to see how he does against more advanced AA hitters.

He might be a pitcher who is mentioned when hitter teammates are interviewed/asked about which pitcher in Aberdeen do they not want to face.  

On a side note, Winston-Salem's camera coverage is great.  

• 4 weeks later...

Pham was promoted to Bowie this week, and debuted with 5 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB and 3 K’s.   He was in line for the win but the bullpen blew the game.  

Pham’s final line at Aberdeen: 12 games, 51.1 IP, 29 H, 17 R, 14 ER, 5 HR, 25 BB, 76 K’s, 2.45 ERA, 1.052 WHiP, 13.3 K/9, 3.04 K/BB.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I see he's not a real big guy, listed at 5'11 165 lbs...   He's 23 yrs old and was a 19th round pick.  Anyone know what kind of stuff he has?  He must have a decent swing-miss pitch if he has 80 K's in 50+ innings....

Just now, DocJJ said:

I see he's not a real big guy, listed at 5'11 165 lbs...   He's 23 yrs old and was a 19th round pick.  Anyone know what kind of stuff he has?  He must have a decent swing-miss pitch if he has 80 K's in 50+ innings....

Oh I just re-read Frobby's original post and see.   My guess is he may struggle at the highest levels with a 91 MPH FB.   I hope I'm wrong and he continues to get guys out....

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Roster Resource's new Minor League power rankings like his performance a lot.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/minor-league-power-rankings/orioles

When he’s on he can paint the outside corner with his fastball glove side but it seems like he generally tires after 4-5 and once he can’t pinpoint becomes much less effective.   Looks like he might be a serviceable or better reliever down the road.   

This is a little old, but I just came across this nugget on the insane vertical ride Pham is able to generate on his fastball.  From Melewski:

“It’s his stuff, the hoppy fastball that he has that gets up to 24 inches of vertical break. His curveball is tough to handle and then add the cutter and changeup. He has the full package there. If he continues to mix well, he’s a tough guy to face,” said Mercado.

24" IVB on a fastball is top shelf and extremely rare and has only happened 60 times this year.  23 pitchers have obtained that level at least once this year.  And only 3 pitchers have done so more than 5 times this season:

Colin Poche (14)

Felix Bautista (13)

Justin Verlander (5)

I know little else about Pham, but he definitely has a fastball that can play despite lower velo.  If he can package some good breaking stuff and build up his durability, there's something here.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

24" IVB on a fastball is top shelf and extremely rare and has only happened 60 times this year.  23 pitchers have obtained that level at least once this year.  And only 3 pitchers have done so more than 5 times this season:

Colin Poche (14)

Poche is distinctive for me as someone who at times has been a 1-pitch pitcher as much as anyone in MLB.

Savant sees Poche's slider up to 30% this year, but in 2019 before he got hurt he was 88% his special pitch.

4 hours ago, nvpacchi said:

This is a little old, but I just came across this nugget on the insane vertical ride Pham is able to generate on his fastball.  From Melewski:

Colin Poche (14)

Felix Bautista (13)

Justin Verlander (5)

I know little else about Pham, but he definitely has a fastball that can play despite lower velo.  If he can package some good breaking stuff and build up his durability, there's something here.

The 24 inch IVB does make him a bit more interesting for sure.

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

and a corollary to that.. I'm no scout so I'd default to you on his mechanics versus me watching only a few videos.  But his release point makes his IVB play up even more - given his height and delivery.  It makes sense that a guy like Bautista or Verlander can induce that sort of vertical break, but watching Pham do it from an arm slot probably a foot closer to the ground than those guys has to make the ride play up even more.