Friday June 2: Orioles vs Giants to begin a new month

SteveA

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

Melanie cannot read the ball off of the bat whatsoever. It's not easy for anyone, but she has no sense for it and leaves the audience guessing until it comes into view on TV.

One issue here is that TV broadcasts still only give us the one angle. And half of the time is spent zooming in on players/coaches/fans faces. Like I don't need a close-up of Brandon Hyde, let me see the positioning of the right fielder in real time.

It's the same in any sport. Football might be the worst when you literally can't see the receivers/secondary beyond 10 yards.

The key is watching the outfielders. It's not really that hard. Ball get hits, watch how the outfielders react. Gives you best indication of distance from TV or in the stands from a lot of angles.

I'm not sure she does that.

The thing that bugs me most about Melanie is that she uses odd phrasing to describe things.

After the first batter just made an out, she said "a lot of early jumps for the Giants tonight".   After thinking about it, I think she was attempting to point out they were going after the first pitch a lot (Wade's HR was on the first pitch, the out to start this inning was on the first pitch).

But she said "a lot of early jumps".   No one uses that term to describe swinging at the first pitch.

And as I have said before, it is ten times more frustrating on the radio because you are dependent on her to tell you what is happening, and she says weird stuff like that.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think we are going to see O'Hearn get about 2 - 3 starts a week vs RH pitchers, mostly at the expense of Mountcastle, but he might DH once in a while too.

I'd take O'Hearn over Mountcastle 

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

It was the 100th.  They had a little in-game celebration between innings.  Bonds has 35 of them.

Has an Oriole ever done it?   I know we have played very few games there over the years.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

The key is watching the outfielders. It's not really that hard. Ball get hits, watch how the outfielders react. Gives you best indication of distance from TV or in the stands from a lot of angles.

I'm not sure she does that.

Someone needs to gently suggest this to her haha. I bet she's watching the ball and getting lost because of that.

I don't want to pile on Melanie too much because she seems like a nice person and valued talent at MASN, but fly balls are one of the few areas where a play-by-play announcer is relied on by the audience, and her calls are really bad.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

The thing that bugs me most about Melanie is that she uses odd phrasing to describe things.

After the first batter just made an out, she said "a lot of early jumps for the Giants tonight".   After thinking about it, I think she was attempting to point out they were going after the first pitch a lot (Wade's HR was on the first pitch, the out to start this inning was on the first pitch).

But she said "a lot of early jumps".   No one uses that term to describe swinging at the first pitch.

And as I have said before, it is ten times more frustrating on the radio because you are dependent on her to tell you what is happening, and she says weird stuff like that.

FSU should win the ACC this season.