Bowden discusses the trade deadline

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

To "steal" someone off the waiver wire, they have to be not valuable to their own team right now, and then 26 or 27 other teams before we even get a crack at them.  I don't like the odds of that, or what that might tell us about the player if they did fall to us.

It was a lot easier to "steal" a guy off waivers when you are first on the waiver list. Not so much now. that strategy is not going to work so you will see more "trades" or cash consideration deals.

• Upvote 2

We are going to have to give up quality to get a decent starting pitcher. That means basically everybody except Holliday, Adley and Gunnar is potentially available. In theory, everybody is available for the right price. But I would not be opposed ot trading ANYBODY else in the organization for a 2nd or 3rd starter. A number 1 or borderline 1 won't be available unless one of the untouchables becomes available. 

Edited by Mr-splash

Bellinger and Stroman would be a splash move. Bellinger is still a great fielder and baserunner and has changed up his approach at the plate although that has come at the expense of some power. Even still, he'd be second to only Mullins in OPS. I don't trust O'Hearn to be a contributor as this season goes along and I'm not sure what the plan is with Cowser. Either of those guys solidifying themselves as reliable players might make it redundant but Elias has shown a preference for raising the floor of the team with veterans instead of relying on rookies. 

31 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I agree that we've gone overboard with the 4th OFer types.  Guys like Bradley, Strider, Smith-Shawver and plenty of others were 4th-10th rounders.  You mentioned TINSTAAPP, but the Rays have drafted quite a few SPs over the years really early over the years.  And many of them have not panned out resulting in a wasted pick.  They've covered those gaps with really good trades, good picks later on bats, and roster building (and shifting to a BP focus).  

I don't think the draft philosophy changes drastically.  But the past few years we've seen the first pitcher being taken a bit earlier.  I suspect that trend continues, but doubt it'll be at 1.17 still.

Exactly. It's all about scouting and certainly a little luck in them staying healthy. I just don't think long term they can continue to ignore pitching in the top five rounds. It gets real tough to find those gems after that and while the draft is filled with pitching prospects that didn't make it, you can say the same thing about hitters. 

Just think at some point they have to take some shots and get away from the Zach Watson, Hunter Haskin and John Rhodes types and start taking some shots at college arms that could move quickly and provide some starting pitching value.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Exactly. It's all about scouting and certainly a little luck in them staying healthy. I just don't think long term they can continue to ignore pitching in the top five rounds. It gets real tough to find those gems after that and while the draft is filled with pitching prospects that didn't make it, you can say the same thing about hitters. 

Just think at some point they have to take some shots and get away from the Zach Watson, Hunter Haskin and John Rhodes types and start taking some shots at college arms that could move quickly and provide some starting pitching value.

Yep. I’m all for the positional talent drafting but I do think it can go a little far at times.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There are a number of starters that make us better.

A guy like Aroldis Chapman makes the pen better and allows us to really shorten games. I would argue that making it a 6 inning game would be more important than adding a starter.

I also think another bat could definitely be needed but I do wish we would see some of these young kids up to see if they can help right now.

Aroldis Chapman is a hard thrower, but a bad guy. I wouldnt want him to infect my team .But thats just me. We already did the K-ROD experiment...it didnt work out.Bad guys often dont.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Aroldis Chapman is a hard thrower, but a bad guy. I wouldnt want him to infect my team .But thats just me. We already did the K-ROD experiment...it didnt work out.Bad guys often dont.

He’s working out just fine with KC.

We wouldn’t be getting married, just a quick date.

• Haha 1

I am prepared to be underwhelmed.  I think we get a bullpen piece or two and no rotation pieces.  

They're gonna hope that G-Rod has his issues ironed out, even then he's going to be on an innings limit so he'll be useless come September when it's time to shut him down.  I don't think of Hall in any conversation in regards to starting pitching anymore.

Elias is going to finally promote guys like Westburg and maybe even Kjerstad to see if the offense can get a boost, I don't think he'll trade for a bat.  He'll also say that if/when Means comes back in August, that's better than getting a starter at the deadline because we didn't have to give anything up.  

I'd be shocked if we got anyone of note, including Chapman.

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Didn't Duquette invest heavily in starting pitching with very little return? I believe Rodriguez and Hall was the last draft before Elias. First rounders the both of them. Have an estimated 90-95% chance of failing as an above average MLB starting pitcher. We've taken Adley, Kjerstad, Cowser and Holliday with top 5 picks. Which of those guys would you have liked to swapped out for an arm? Gunnar, Westburg, Norby. Haskin, Beavers all 2nd rounders. Not trying to be confrontational. But if didn't pick Holliday, Cowser, Adley, etc. then they wouldn't be Orioles. 

• Upvote 1

Gotta get a stud reliever. I'm less worried about a SP, because I don't think many will be available and the price will be exorbitant. But IMO if the deadline passes and we don't get someone who is 8th inning-worthy, it's a big fail. 

If Cano or Felix go down, the options to replace them internally are basically non-existent. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Mr-splash said:

We are going to have to give up quality to get a decent starting pitcher. That means basically everybody except Holliday, Adley and Gunnar is potentially available. In theory, everybody is available for the right price. But I would not be opposed ot trading ANYBODY else in the organization for a 2nd or 3rd starter. A number 1 or borderline 1 won't be available unless one of the untouchables becomes available. 

This is where I'm at too.  To part w/ any of our top prospects it would have to be a #2/#3 w/ multiple years of control. 

• Upvote 1