The season is 40% over and the O’s are on pace for 102 wins…

Frobby

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Of course it is fair to doubt how far they will or can go.  There are very few players on this team with actual playoff experience.  This team could flourish down the stretch and gain steam...or it could falter.

But I will simply leave your idea above to the discretion of the readers here on the board and respectfully disagree.

The OP is about a general negativity in spite of 40% of the season complete.  I like to look at the fact that since Adley came last year the Orioles have played like one of the best teams in baseball.

Could they use stronger pitching?  Sure.

Could they use a MOO slugger?  Sure.

Could they use another strong arm in the pen?  Of course.

Do they need some of the guys here to improve?  You betcha.

Do they need to figure out how to integrate more youth to the big club?  Of course.

None of that changes what they have done and are doing.  Its a pretty sweet spot to be in...regardless of what is available at the deadline.  

And everything you say we could use is exactly what everyone is saying and yet you are acting like they are saying they compete. Lol. You can’t make this up.

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

In other words, this team cant compete in the playoffs as constructed. Gotcha.

I don’t think you understand what the word compete means.

They aren’t going to go out and lose 10-0 and be completely outclassed. That’s what it means to be non competitive.

Zero people are saying that. People are saying we need to improve upon the roster to maximize our chances of winning in October, something you clearly agree with but want to argue about it anyway.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you are completely making this up, as I don’t recall one post where people have said they would be uncompetitive in the playoffs.

People doubt how far they will go as currently constructed and that is extremely fair to wonder but that is far different than saying they wouldn’t be competitive.

Our division is super competitive.  On top of that, the AL is superior to the NL.  I think most would agree they will likely not maintain that 102 win pace without making any significant additions to the roster.  We could have a good season (90 wins?) and still miss the playoffs or just eek into the last wild card spot, rather than getting home field advantage in a WC matchup.  The teams ahead of us and just behind us are not pretenders. 

I'm very happy with our record and performance to date, but there is potential to be even better by making some logical additions and subtractions and sending underperformers to the bench.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Our division is super competitive.  On top of that, the AL is superior to the NL.  I think most would agree they will likely not maintain that 102 win pace without making any significant additions to the roster.  We could have a good season (90 wins?) and still miss the playoffs or just eek into the last wild card spot, rather than getting home field advantage in a WC matchup.  The teams ahead of us and just behind us are not pretenders. 

I'm very happy with our record and performance to date, but there is potential to be even better by making some logical additions and subtractions and sending underperformers to the bench.  

Exactly right. This is just common sense. It’s not bashing the team or saying anyone is doing a bad job or that the team sucks. It’s just about making them the best version they possibly can be. 

The record is fantastic but they were, I believe, 16-14 since early May heading into the KC series. Now, we beat them up, which is great but they may be the worst team in the sport. So, things have “slowed down” since the April start and changes need to be made.

I listened to an interview with the DBacks GM the other day. They are similar to us. Young team, great record, etc…but he said we have to get better to win later. Feels they need to at least one and maybe 2 starters because the rotation is young.  Feels they need another BP arm.

Does that mean he thinks his team stinks or can’t be competitive?  Of course not. He just wants to maximize their chances.

• Upvote 1

Here here. It's not perfect. There are particular decisions we might not agree with and we can speculate on the reasons for them. Overall, Elias has succeeded in turning the team around. We have played winning baseball the last 1.5 years and we appear set up in a terrific position for the long haul. Yet it seems the majority of the posts are critical. Instead of trying to understand the strategies and tactics the immediate assumption is that Hyde is incompetent or Elias is being cheap. I know the ownership does not inspire confidence and critique is more interesting than cheerleading, but this should be a 1989/2012 type of moment. This is an exciting team that makes me want to watch every night. We have a talented roster and more coming. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Here here. It's not perfect. There are particular decisions we might not agree with and we can speculate on the reasons for them. Overall, Elias has succeeded in turning the team around. We have played winning baseball the last 1.5 years and we appear set up in a terrific position for the long haul. Yet it seems the majority of the posts are critical. Instead of trying to understand the strategies and tactics the immediate assumption is that Hyde is incompetent or Elias is being cheap. I know the ownership does not inspire confidence and critique is more interesting than cheerleading, but this should be a 1989/2012 type of moment. This is an exciting team that makes me want to watch every night. We have a talented roster and more coming. 

The 1989/2012 moment was last year.

A lot of the posts are critical because that's the very nature of a sports message board.  Sitting here and agreeing with everything they do isn't fun, nor is it interesting.  

I think a lot of us understand the strategies, we just disagree with them from time to time.  But yes, a lot of people jump to the conclusion that Hyde is incompetent (for whatever reason, I think this is one of the sillier takes on here, but armchair managers are always right when something the real manager does goes wrong) and that Elias won't spend because the Angelos family won't let him.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think you understand what the word compete means.

They aren’t going to go out and lose 10-0 and be completely outclassed. That’s what it means to be non competitive.

Zero people are saying that. People are saying we need to improve upon the roster to maximize our chances of winning in October, something you clearly agree with but want to argue about it anyway.

Every team needs to improve or will be looking to improve their roster.

• Upvote 1

My issue is NY and Toronoto are up our butt and Houston and even Angels right behind us in the WC standings. 2-3 teams are going to fall eventually and when the AAAA guys go back to playing like AAAA players  I am worried they will be too infatued with them to cut them loose. You can only ride out the Tim Beckams and Alejandro de Aza's so far. 

Imagine we win 90 games but miss the playoffs like the Jays did a few years ago. At this point missing the playoffs is a huge dissapointment. 

Edited by Orioles0615

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Elias won't spend because the Angelos family won't let him.

It's more than that. I have seen stuff like Elias makes moves solely to prove he is the "smartest guy in the room".  Then there is "Elias can draft but we don't know if he can evaluate major league talent." While I think "Elias won't spend because the family won't let him" is valid, that implies we should be mostly praising Elias within those constraints, but instead what I see is mostly second guessing.

Last year is an interesting point. We started out bad but got red hot around June 15. Still, at the trade deadline we were basically a .500 team with a 2% chance of making the playoffs. I don't think it is fair to compare '22 to '89 but you are right, we had higher expectations this year so now it seems more like Elias is just doing his job rather than doing well enough to deserve some credit. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly right. This is just common sense. It’s not bashing the team or saying anyone is doing a bad job or that the team sucks. It’s just about making them the best version they possibly can be. 

The record is fantastic but they were, I believe, 16-14 since early May heading into the KC series. Now, we beat them up, which is great but they may be the worst team in the sport. So, things have “slowed down” since the April start and changes need to be made.

I listened to an interview with the DBacks GM the other day. They are similar to us. Young team, great record, etc…but he said we have to get better to win later. Feels they need to at least one and maybe 2 starters because the rotation is young.  Feels they need another BP arm.

Does that mean he thinks his team stinks or can’t be competitive?  Of course not. He just wants to maximize their chances.

There are some changes I'd like to see, but they went 16-14 against a rough stretch of schedule against nothing but contenders (I know Cleveland is only a contender due to being in the AL Central, but still). Isn't holding serve against the other good teams and beating up on the KCs of the league what you want to see? They obviously weren't going to win 115 games.

This team is been fun to watch and I expect slow and continued improvement throughout the season.  There will be some talent infused and the kids will continue to improve.  I expect them to play better as the season moves along.   I imagine there will be some minor trades to bolster the roster.  A major trade isn’t out of the question, but I’m not expecting anything approaching blockbuster at this point.  Doesn’t seem to be their MO.  I think they continue to slowly and methodically improve the roster mostly internally with a couple outside additions.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, deward said:

There are some changes I'd like to see, but they went 16-14 against a rough stretch of schedule against nothing but contenders (I know Cleveland is only a contender due to being in the AL Central, but still). Isn't holding serve against the other good teams and beating up on the KCs of the league what you want to see? They obviously weren't going to win 115 games.

Yea it is..but it goes to show you that against the better team, things are a lot closer and that is before you talk about the mental edge experienced playoff teams will have come October.

Again, zero people are saying this is a bad team just that they can and need to be upgraded in large part because they don’t have a large margin for error.