Kolozsvary out, Ortiz back

interloper

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Urias-Mateo-Ortiz would be elite defensively and a decent amount of upside with the bats. DH Gunnar while he’s on a heater, otherwise the occasional day off vs LHP. Ortiz opens up a lot of options. I think he’s an exciting roster upgrade. 

I wouldn't want Gunnar DHing a ton now that he seems over his early-season fielding issues. Stick him at 3B and use Urias a supersub. I'll be shocked if Frazier loses a ton of playing time to Ortiz.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Urias-Mateo-Ortiz would be elite defensively and a decent amount of upside with the bats. DH Gunnar while he’s on a heater, otherwise the occasional day off vs LHP. Ortiz opens up a lot of options. I think he’s an exciting roster upgrade. 

I don't necessarily disagree with this but I also don't want to mess with Gunnar right now.  Just run him out to 3B everyday and keep him as comfortable as possible. Let. Him. Rake.

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not going to lie I didn't even know Kolozsvary was on the 26 man roster. I have been busy recently, but in my defense Kolozsvary only made one appearance in a game with zero at bats.

He was on the roster for about 19 hours.

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would too, although I have one eyebrow raised about Mateo's game yesterday. He hit a lot of balls hard and hit into some bad luck. I'm wondering if he's close to busting out again. 

He was overmatched his first time up but managed the swinging bunt.  He did hit two balls hard although he no longer has the home run power.   He still opens his front hip costing him power and ability to hit anything on the outside corner.  

Santander can play more 1B/DH with Mountcastle out, and Frazier can see more time in RF, freeing up some infield at bats for Ortiz.

But the bottom line is, they didn't think Ortiz was one of their best 26 or else he would already have been up.   So expecting him to come up and take  alot of ABs away from people they DO think are in their best 26, is probably not realistic.

I envision the long term goal would (maybe next summer- 14 months or -maybe spring 25')

Ortiz 2nd

Holliday SS

Henderson 3rd

I would like to see Ortiz get more and more reps at second this year 

So far this year

Games by Position: 2B (4) 3B (3) SS (3)

While I appreciate the value veterans bring- we can't expect to play all the rookies at once if we are competing year after year.  Getting Gunner and Ortiz up to speed this year would be huge.  I wish we could do the same with a Cowser/Westburg but that's a different thread.

Next summer you hope you add a Holliday (might be a stretch) 

2 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Is Ortiz out of options now? 

No.

In terms of being "out of options", you only use one option per year.   He had already been optioned this year so he has used his 2023 option.   Any times up and down this year all on the 2023 option.

Now there is a more recent rule that says you can only go down on options 5 times in a year.   Joey hasn't reached that point yet.

So he's fine.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Henderson vs righties - 912 OPS;   vs lefties 524 OPS

Urias vs righties - 865 OPS;  vs lefties  605 OPS

Frazier vs righties - 736 OPS; vs lefties 624 OPS

Mateo vs righties  - 573 OPS; vs lefties  762 OPS

Ortiz vs lefties - 728 OPS with the O's

Ortiz vs lefties - 1062  OPS at AAA

Ortiz vs righties - 909 OPS at AAA

Look like there is plenty of room for Ortiz vs lefties.   A little crowded vs righties.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm a bit perplexed as to what the point of ever calling Kolozsvary up in the first place was, if they only intended to keep him around for a day. 

Therein lies my confusion.  They took a player already on the Norfolk roster, put him on the 40-man for 1 game only to option him back to Norfolk....and at the expense of a pitcher that was protected from the Rule 5 last year.

Norfolk now has 4 catchers, Benboom (7-day IL), Godoy, Handley and Kolozsary.

I'm glad Kolozsvary was a one day thing on the 26-man, but I don't like him taking up a spot on the 40-man. I still don't understand why the Orioles DFA'd Denoyer. If it was to get Kolozzvary here for a day and then DFA him for Cowser or Westburg it makes some sense. I guess we could still see one (or both) of them sooner rather than later to replace Lester and McKenna on the roster.

50 minutes ago, interloper said:

I hope he gets a more extended stay this time. I really enjoy watching him play. Great in the field and takes good ABs. Hits the ball hard. We haven't even seen his whole game yet at the ML level, but he hasn't looked overmatched at all. 

The O’s will have to be a little judicious here because you can only send a player to the minors 5 times in one season, and Ortiz has been sent down twice this season already. (I am not sure whether the time that he was sent down during spring training counts. If so, then the team has already used 3 of its 5 for Ortiz.)

Edited by Frobby

7 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm glad Kolozsvary was a one day thing on the 26-man, but I don't like him taking up a spot on the 40-man. I still don't understand why the Orioles DFA'd Denoyer. If it was to get Kolozzvary here for a day and then DFA him for Cowser or Westburg it makes some sense. I guess we could still see one (or both) of them sooner rather than later to replace Lester and McKenna on the roster.

Someone made a point earlier that the decision on Mountcastle may have come so close to game time they had to pull someone from the taxi squad because they didn't have time to get anyone else here in time.  Seems to be the only thing that makes any sense.