Rank our top needs:

DocJJ

13 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Cano has given up 19 hits in the last 12.4 IP he's pitched with only 9 Ks in that time.  I'm pretty sure the league has  started to figure him out. Even more of a reason for a bullpen arm to be the #1 priority.  And I don't think we have answer internally...at least not for this season. 

I dont think the league has figured him out, he just isn't making the same quality pitches and has very little movement with lot of his pitches.  You don't figure out a guy that is making pitches like he did when he came up.   You just have to hope he looses his release point and the ball stops moving as much so you can hit him.  

8 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I dont think the league has figured him out, he just isn't making the same quality pitches and has very little movement with lot of his pitches.  You don't figure out a guy that is making pitches like he did when he came up.   You just have to hope he looses his release point and the ball stops moving as much so you can hit him.  

Regardless of if their figuring  him out or not, seems another big BP arm will be a priority at the deadline.

Gimme relief help.

Once Cano gets over his struggles (hopefully he does) - the Os probably have the best 1-2 punch in baseball out of the pen.  But bridging to that is still scary.

No one likely has any faith in Cionel, Givens, or Voth.  And faith in Baker, Baumann, and Coulombe should be lukewarm at best.  Tate is the wildcard, but I'd throw him in the lukewarm bucket.

Keynan Middleton, Steven Okert would be cheaper guys who are having great years (Okert's quietly been excellent going on three years now).

The big splash would be getting Alexis Diaz (if we're willing to pay of course), but we can dream on that one.

2 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

Gimme relief help.

Once Cano gets over his struggles (hopefully he does) - the Os probably have the best 1-2 punch in baseball out of the pen.  But bridging to that is still scary.

No one likely has any faith in Cionel, Givens, or Voth.  And faith in Baker, Baumann, and Coulombe should be lukewarm at best.  Tate is the wildcard, but I'd throw him in the lukewarm bucket.

Keynan Middleton, Steven Okert would be cheaper guys who are having great years (Okert's quietly been excellent going on three years now).

The big splash would be getting Alexis Diaz (if we're willing to pay of course), but we can dream on that one.

I don’t think Tate is close to coming back right now. 

• Like 1

How about some Brad Hand? Lefty killer, struggles against RH but has a good track record overall all things considered. Team option for '24. I doubt we'd have to give up much. He'd immediately make Perez irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

I agree. Cano has been showing a dead arm recently. The movement has been off, and the stuff is not the same. He has been overused, out of necessity. We need Baker and Perez to really step it up, or find two more 7th/8th inning guys. 

I would say the SP are just fine. Gibson, Wells, Kremer and Bradish are a solid 4. The issue for me is the durability. For instance, Wells is at 81 innings already. With his history of shoulder issues, how confident are we that he’ll be healthy and effective in September and October? I feel optimistic about the health and durability of Gibson, Kremer and Bradish.

For those reasons, the middle and set-up relief is the main issue for me. If Mountcastle is out for long term, and I truly hope not, then we’ll need to replace him. A Goldschmidt deal makes sense, but the Cardinals do not sell usually. 

14 minutes ago, G54377 said:

How about some Brad Hand? Lefty killer, struggles against RH but has a good track record overall all things considered. Team option for '24. I doubt we'd have to give up much. He'd immediately make Perez irrelevant. 

I really like this idea. For me, the top needs are a TOR type starter and back-end LH reliever. 

I get that Cano hasn't been lights out lately, but he still had the stuff. I think he's getting a bit overexposed. If you add a LHP to the mix that can be a 7-8 inning reliever, that helps balance the pen. I would prefer someone with a bit more postseason experience/success, but he's still a veteran with closer experience that would help this team. 

Props to those who believe in Cano. I'm really glad he had an amazing run, but he's never been very good at any level and was certainly due to regress.  A guy with a career 1.33 WHIP in the minors where the majority of his innings have been pitched doesn't suddenly at near 30 become a 0.50 WHIP guy going forward that often. He's going to pitch himself out of high-leverage situations after costing us some losses, unfortunately, Hyde will stick with him for far too long.

Edited by Malike

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Props to those who believe in Cano. I'm really glad he had an amazing run, but he's never been very good at any level and was certainly due to regress.  A guy with a career 1.33 WHIP in the minors where the majority of his innings have been pitched doesn't suddenly at near 30 become a 0.50 WHIP guy going forward that often. He's going to pitch himself out of high-leverage situations after costing us some losses, unfortunately, Hyde will stick with him for far too long.

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

So I'll bite. If we have what we need, who are the SPs and RPs (in our organization) that will be ready to bolster our pitching staff this season. I'm not talking long term, I'm talking right now.  

You realize that the Orioles have the 2nd best record in baseball with the staff they have, and three or four promotable arms in AAA... right?

Middle relief won’t matter in the playoffs.

The Os have 3 needs..a starter, a back end reliever and another bat.  It’s possible that the “other bat” is already in the org.

They also have to be willing to go away from the vets who just aren’t quite good enough…or at the very least, take away a lot of their at bats.