Rank our top needs:

DocJJ

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Hall and Grayson aren't ready who does that fall on?
First round picks, liked by industry sources, been in the system forever.  Why aren't they ready yet?

We know Elias has a bias toward drafting hitters, is he emphasizing hitting development?

The pitching development hard drive to Sig's computer was left in Houston. 

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The pitching development hard drive to Sig's computer was left in Houston. 

It's just kinda insane to me to blame Dan for Hall's issues.  If you know you can't develop him, trade him.  To have him just sitting there not making progress year after year, it's baffling.

15 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Pitching and more pitching.

Kremer, Wells, Bradish have pitched well for us and hope they continue to but I would imaging their on some kinda innings limit. 

Gibson and Irving are the only two starters that have pitched more than 125 innings. And Irving just isn’t going to make it. 

So the pitchers other than Gibson who are good are going to run into an innings limit and the other starters who have pitched have been terrible.  Some posters don't think we need help in the starting pitching department.

• Upvote 1

It's just kinda insane to me to blame Dan for Hall's issues.  If you know you can't develop him, trade him.  To have him just sitting there not making progress year after year, it's baffling.

No one is to blame. They were dominant until they got injured that is the problem. Hell where is that thread that’s called “they all break” If people want to blame something they should blame Elias for completely ignoring drafting pitchers and putting all the eggs in the Grayson and DL basket which was a problem form day 1.

we don’t sign pitchers except for the Gibsons of the world, we don’t draft pitchers, and we have yet to trade for any and I doubt we get some big time ace. No idea how they figure out the pitching issue, they just seem to want to kick the can down the road 

Edited by Orioles0615

Reactionary post, but we need two relievers. I would also trade GRod for a top flight Ace with 1.5+ years of control if that SP was a good move (I.e. Verlander to the Stros), if we included if depth and received a higher end SP prospect+

not a good long-term move, risk wise, except 2 years of a true ace and some gambling on our current record

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias is following the Astros approach to drafting and that approach required buying pitchers. The Orioles haven’t made a big splash when it comes to acquiring established pitchers yet. 

The following pitchers were picked in the first round during the period when Elias was in charge of the Astro draft (2013-2017)

Mark Appel

Brady Aiken

Forrest Whitley

J.B. Bukauskas

The O's have 4 starters in Gibson, Wells, Kremer and Bradish.   They don't need a 5th starter until June 27th.  GRod will get another start at Norfolk.  If he does well he probably gets that start on the 27th.

When the O's are winning Cano and Bautista pitch the 8th and 9th.   That works for two days.   Cano has a 1.50 ERA in June.  Yes he is giving up too many hits and walks.  He bents but he does not break so far.

The bridges from the starters to the 8th inning are Baker, Akin and Coulombe.     That is the O's best shot at winning 2 of 3 games.

The 3rd games has Irvin, Baumann, Garrett and Perez..... Or their replacements which could be Gillaspie, Hernandez or Bazardo until Tate and Givens are ready.

Then there is Hall.   I think he is making progress.  A year ago he was a thrower.   He has been working on becoming a pitcher by refining his control and command.   No timetable of that at this time.  But he could probably help the pen right now.

Means in August.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias is following the Astros approach to drafting and that approach required buying pitchers. The Orioles haven’t made a big splash when it comes to acquiring established pitchers yet. 

Is Justin Verlander or Garret Cole available this year? Because I don't see any pitcher of their talent available. The Astros got a bit lucky with the right player available.

Trading for Jordan Montgomery  at the trade deadline is not the same thing.

Edited by Orioles0615
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The O's have 4 starters in Gibson, Wells, Kremer and Bradish.   They don't need a 5th starter until June 27th.  GRod will get another start at Norfolk.  If he does well he probably gets that start on the 27th.

When the O's are winning Cano and Bautista pitch the 8th and 9th.   That works for two days.   Cano has a 1.50 ERA in June.  Yes he is giving up too many hits and walks.  He bents but he does not break so far.

The bridges from the starters to the 8th inning are Baker, Akin and Coulombe.     That is the O's best shot at winning 2 of 3 games.

The 3rd games has Irvin, Baumann, Garrett and Perez..... Or their replacements which could be Gillaspie, Hernandez or Bazardo until Tate and Givens are ready.

Then there is Hall.   I think he is making progress.  A year ago he was a thrower.   He has been working on becoming a pitcher by refining his control and command.   No timetable of that at this time.  But he could probably help the pen right now.

Means in August.

You also said Voth would have a 3.28 ERA

The following pitchers were picked in the first round during the period when Elias was in charge of the Astro draft (2013-2017)

Mark Appel

Brady Aiken

Forrest Whitley

J.B. Bukauskas

Right, and none of those guys have panned out.  I guess this is the cause of Elias' caution in drafting pitchers in the early rounds.  Makes some sense, but he'll have to get creative in acquiring one or two strong arms by other means. 

He has to be credited for trading for Bradish, but he doesn't have a Dylan Bundy to trade right now.   Sooner or later the O's are going to have to trade one or two of their higher level position prospects to get some good pitching.  

Longer term I think the O's are going to have to take some chances drafting some arms in the higher rounds.  There will be some busts, but if you never draft pitchers in the first round you lose out on Shane McLanahan, Gerrit Cole, Marcus Stroman, Sonny Gray and Kevin Gausman.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Means in August.

Hall losing velocity doesn't make him a pitcher, it makes him a thrower with worse stuff.

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

Right, and none of those guys have panned out.  I guess this is the cause of Elias' caution in drafting pitchers in the early rounds.  Makes some sense, but he'll have to get creative in acquiring one or two strong arms by other means. 

He has to be credited for trading for Bradish, but he doesn't have a Dylan Bundy to trade right now.   Sooner or later the O's are going to have to trade one or two of their higher level position prospects to get some good pitching.  

Longer term I think the O's are going to have to take some chances drafting some arms in the higher rounds.  There will be some busts, but if you never draft pitchers in the first round you lose out on Shane McLanahan, Gerrit Cole, Marcus Stroman, Sonny Gray and Kevin Gausman.

WHAT?

I showed evidence that the O's are not following the Astros plan and I get are, well sure they aren't.  Who would expect them to?

Folks here misrepresent what the Rays and Astros do and did all the time.

The Astros absolutely tried to draft and develop pitching, they still are.  You don't see them waiting until the 5th round to select pitchers year after year.

The Rays extend young players to team favorable deals.

The O's are *almost* exclusively drafting and developing hitters while emphasizing players on one and two year contracts.  Now maybe that works out, but it sure ain't what those other two teams are doing.

• Upvote 1