Rank our top needs:

DocJJ

2 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I don't know but one would think the NL MVP is going to cost more than  DL Hall or Connor Norby or other prospects people just want to give away 

My point is that he ain't coming here unless he agrees to it.

I'd expect to have to add some years onto the contract.

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

I think you have to give up Cowser or Westburg to get Goldschmidt  

Cowser is too much, he's a top 20 prospect.  I would have to consider Westburg if it's part of package to bring back Montgomery too.  Of course this is just for fun, our owner would never approve adding large amount of payroll at the trade deadline. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Cowser is too much, he's a top 20 prospect.  I would have to consider Westburg if it's part of package to bring back Montgomery too.  Of course this is just for fun, our owner would never approve adding large amount of payroll at the trade deadline. 

Got to love it.

Defending NL MVP, putting up a 5.7 WAR season with another year of team control and Cowser is an overpay.

So you would *consider* a lesser prospect if you got more than just Goldschmidt?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Got to love it.

Defending NL MVP, putting up a 5.7 WAR season with another year of team control and Cowser is an overpay.

So you would *consider* a lesser prospect if you got more than just Goldschmidt?

I don't think anyone is giving up a top 20 prospect for Goldschmidt.  He's a great hitter, but near the end of his career.  I'm not sure what recent trades would be comparable.  Like I said I would be willing to give up Westburg with a package of other prospects to also add on Montgomery. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't think anyone is giving up a top 20 prospect for Goldschmidt.  He's a great hitter, but near the end of his career.  I'm not sure what recent trades would be comparable.  Like I said I would be willing to give up Westburg with a package of other prospects to also add on Montgomery. 

You are only getting him for 1 1/2 seasons.  Do you have a reason to think he's falling off a cliff next year?

Teixeira was only 27 but he was a rental and having a similar season when the Braves gave up Elvis Andrus, starter Matt Harrison and reliever Neftali Feliz. 

12 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

What is the market value for a nearly 36 year old MVP who is at the end of his career? What would be a good deal for the Orioles and the Cardinals together?

https://www.mlb.com/video/paul-goldschmidt-homers-12-on-a-line-drive-to-right-field-brendan-donovan?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think Goldschmidt would be rated more highly around here if he was in the AL and we'd had to face him 6+ times a year. The guy has been a metronome of excellence for 10 years. I don't think he's winning another MVP but there no evidence suggesting he's about to fall off, and it's definitely too soon to say he's at the "end of his career."

Age comes for everyone so you never know, but he profiles as the type of guy who can continue succeeding in his late 30s. (Strong batting eye and OBP skills, not reliant on defense or speed for value.) 

Seeing this topic/and this specific name coming up more and more should O's kick the tires on this ? >>>>> (Meneses is a 1B/RF/ DH currently batting .300   2 HR   35RBI ) From Spotrac >>>>> "Joey Meneses signed a 1 year / $723,300 contract with the Washington Nationals,  "

MLB rumors: These could be 10 players on the move at the MLB trade deadline

10. Joey Meneses                                                                                   

5 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Seeing this topic/and this specific name coming up more and more should O's kick the tires on this ? >>>>> (Meneses is a 1B/RF/ DH currently batting .300   2 HR   35RBI ) From Spotrac >>>>> "Joey Meneses signed a 1 year / $723,300 contract with the Washington Nationals,  "

MLB rumors: These could be 10 players on the move at the MLB trade deadline

10. Joey Meneses                                                                                   

Per baseball reference Meneses has had 70 at bats RISP and his current BAT. AVG .for this season in those 70 at bats is  .441 with RISP .

On 6/18/2023 at 12:18 PM, Can_of_corn said:

He put up a .317/.404/.615 line after the trade.

I'd say that got what they wanted out of him.

Maybe, but they missed the playoffs both years he played for them, and Andrus had 30 WAR over 11 years for Texas, while the other guys they traded produced about 23 WAR.  And a year after trading for him, they traded Teixeira for Casey Kotchman.  I’d call the trade for Tex a strategic disaster for Atlanta, even though he performed extremely well for them.