7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, that had to be a spiteful move because clearly he had an opportunity here to get back. Godoy is a guy they can add and then DFA if they need to just like Kolosvary, so maybe he felt like he was replaced anyways. It's worth noting though that Godoy has thrown out just one of 18 base runners this year in AAA under the new rules base stealing rules. 

Overall Godoy seems like an average defensive catcher if teams don't take advantage of his inability to stop the running game. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jose-godoy-608422?stats=statcast-r-catching-mlb

I watched him catch Graysons last game.  He did not inspire confidence.  I’ve always been a believer of the cliche that a good catcher goes unnoticed.   In the game I saw (granted 1 game so gonna give him a pass) there were a lot of “he should have made that play” moments.  Will be watching his next game with a keen eye.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Could it be that he has a better chance at playing time in another organization that doesn't have the #1 catcher in All Star votes? 

I doubt he would have a chance with any other team based on how bad he whiffed on that pop fly foul ball. He was way off line from tracking that ball.

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I doubt he would have a chance with any other team based on how bad he whiffed on that pop fly foul ball. He was way off line from tracking that ball.

Didn't it hit the screen?  Was tough to tell on TV.  Looked to me like the screen deflected it from where he was.

How many catchers have made the 26 this year but never gotten into a game?  It’s quite odd. Torrens and Godoy for sure. I think Koloszvary did catch one inning but he also got zero plate appearances. Lot of shuffling the cards for players who have been quite literally useless. 

1 hour ago, George Zuverink said:

Well, that didn’t last long. Benboom up, Godoy down.Sounds like a decision proceed where someone went into someone else’s office after the first move and said, “Did you realize that…”

I believe Kolozsvary and Godoy were both on the taxi squad when they got called up, so they were already nearby when the need arose.

21 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why do they need 3 catchers?

Because we could pinch hit for the 2nd catcher when Adley DH’s on Weds. 162. We need every advantage we can get. We could play a man short in the pen with the off day yesterday and Thursday. 

Fingers crossed. 

I know people hate three catchers, but it makes sense for Weds, but I guess that isn’t an option now since we all of a sudden have limited catcher depth. 

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because we could pinch hit for the 2nd catcher when Adley DH’s on Weds. 162. We need every advantage we can get. We could play a man short in the pen with the off day yesterday and Thursday. 

Fingers crossed. 

I know people hate three catchers, but it makes sense for Weds, but I guess that isn’t an option now since we all of a sudden have limited catcher depth. 

I know the catcher typically rests on a day game after a night game, but with off days on both Monday and Thursday, I think they would just play Adley both games in Tampa Bay. Assuming McCann comes back when he is eligible, I suspect Bemboom will get to play one game against Seattle, and he and Godoy will be subject to being optioned, with Godoy probably being DFAd for the next 40 man spot needed.

I hate having three catchers, but when two of them are AAA placeholders, it would be especially galling.