When is the best time to call up rookies?

Sports Guy

Read and learn about Prospect Promotion Incentives and it may give you a clue on Elias's strategy on promoting top 100 prospects.....ROY = 29th draft pick and bonus pool money or a draft pick if they finish in the top three in MVP or CY before they are arbitration eligible....but they need 172 days of service time as a rookie to qualify for any compensation  

27 minutes ago, PsychoBird68 said:

Read and learn about Prospect Promotion Incentives and it may give you a clue on Elias's strategy on promoting top 100 prospects.....ROY = 29th draft pick and bonus pool money or a draft pick if they finish in the top three in MVP or CY before they are arbitration eligible....but they need 172 days of service time as a rookie to qualify for any compensation  

Correction:

Not sure of draft pick order however Seattle got the 29th pick last year and 2.5 million in bonus pool money

I don't consider Westburg as probable a RoY candidate as our very best guys but it is also true that managing him to 129 or fewer 2023 at-bats and keeping him as a 2024 Rookie of the Year candidate does incrementally increase his expected future value to any Club holding his rights.

For sure, you can increase a guy like Westburg's award probability relative to say Matt McLain or Elly de la Cruz by managing the time such that the player candidate gets 650 not 400 plate appearances in pursuit of an asset.   As @Moose Milligansaid, its a WAR competition, and WAR is a counting stat.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't consider Westburg as probable a RoY candidate as our very best guys but it is also true that managing him to 129 or fewer 2023 at-bats and keeping him as a 2024 Rookie of the Year candidate does incrementally increase his expected future value to any Club holding his rights.

For sure, you can increase a guy like Westburg's award probability relative to say Matt McLain or Elly de la Cruz by managing the time such that the player candidate gets 650 not 400 plate appearances in pursuit of an asset.   As @Moose Milligansaid, it’s a WAR competition, and WAR is a counting stat.

That may play a role but I think they have a number of at bats they want to achieve plus the MLB roster impacting things. 

Elias has to juggle multiple things. Competent at worst MLB roster, 40 man roster limits, depth due to potential injuries, trade deadline etc. 

I just think over time the timing of the moves will work themselves out. When will there be a time when he deals a productive MLB player or legit prospect is the question? I guess Mateo could be defined as a productive player. The fact he only has 2 more years of service impacts this. I think the next question revolves around Mountcastle who after this year has 3 years left. 

Trading players early may increase their value but it also exposes a greater risk factor to the club. We have already seen more injuries this year for position players than all of last year. My guess is we don’t see Elias deal significant prospects unless it’s for a significant arm. 

30 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That may play a role but I think they have a number of at bats they want to achieve plus the MLB roster impacting things. 

Elias has to juggle multiple things. Competent at worst MLB roster, 40 man roster limits, depth due to potential injuries, trade deadline etc. 

I just think over time the timing of the moves will work themselves out. When will there be a time when he deals a productive MLB player or legit prospect is the question? I guess Mateo could be defined as a productive player. The fact he only has 2 more years of service impacts this. I think the next question revolves around Mountcastle who after this year has 3 years left. 

Trading players early may increase their value but it also exposes a greater risk factor to the club. We have already seen more injuries this year for position players than all of last year. My guess is we don’t see Elias deal significant prospects unless it’s for a significant arm. 

Just wondering if you still think it’s crazy that Frazier plays most of the year despite poor production?

I think the answer depends on 3 things:

1.  How bad is the person the prospect is replacing playing, and how long has that been going on?

2.  How confident are you that the prospect will play better than the guy he’s replacing?

3.  How is the team doing the way things are?

If the current player has been playing very poorly for a long time, you are very confident that the prospect will be better, and the team is losing, then it’s a pretty easy decision to bring up the prospect to replace the other player.  It’s gets more complicated in any other combination of these three factors and it’s a matter of degree and weighing them.

• Upvote 1