Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

Godoy was the obvious DFA choice.  Ortiz goes down to get everyday ABs.  Westburg likely gets a larger role than Ortiz ever got.  Also, don't bury Ortiz.  Bradish went down last year, then there was an injury, and he came right back up as a different dude.  There's nothing wrong with Ortiz tweaking some things in AAA.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Godoy was the obvious DFA choice.  Ortiz goes down to get everyday ABs.  Westburg likely gets a larger role than Ortiz ever got.  Also, don't bury Ortiz.  Bradish went down last year, then there was an injury, and he came right back up as a different dude.  There's nothing wrong with Ortiz tweaking some things in AAA.  

He doesn't even need to tweak things, IMO. He never played more than 5 games in a row, and didn't even start in all 5. For perspective, those 5 games account for 39% of his 33 ABs. 

He didn't "struggle" up here or even slump, he just didn't play enough to do anything of note in a tiny sample. He's going to go right back down and mash in AAA like he's been doing all year. If they gave him consistent starts, he would have hit. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, TheWall said:

It's totally possible we look to trade Santander this offseason, but I would be absolutely shocked if any team gave him a 5 year contract. 

Prepare to be shocked.   Santander will be 29 next season.   I can see some term trading for him and signing my for his 29-33 years.   He hit 33 homers last year and is on a pace to hit 30 this year.   He has an 836 OPS which show he is still improving.

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

They've been decent, but no one considers them as a true number one pitcher.  Maybe that opinion changes by September, but the starting rotation would benefit from adding a quality arm.

I don't like the idea of Irvin starting every fifth day even if you're satisfied with a top three of Well, Kremer and Bradish. The trade market doesn't seem great, but that's on Elias to identify any potential trade partners.

So do you think Elias is going to trade for someone better than those 3 starters?

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Didn't Bradish go down due to injury in the 1st place?  I could be misremembering but I thought that's why he was sent down in the 1st place.  

22 minutes ago, deward said:

They are definitely milking it. 

Gunnar Henderson - designated lead celebration guy!

A lot about Frazier and Ortiz here, but the other way this could spin is the arrival pushes Mateo's team low OBP into a much smaller role, or even DFA like @Sports Guysaid in his thread on that subject.   

In part that depends on Gunnar's capability as a "everyday SS", something the job sharing all the way up the chain left unclear for me what the Club really believes.    

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

So do you think Elias is going to trade for someone better than those 3 starters?

I hope so.

The opening round of the playoffs is a quick 3 game series. When I look at the Astros, Rangers, Twins, and Yankees (when fully healthy) I see teams with much better starting pitching than what we have. It will be an uphill battle if we go in as is. Don't get me wrong I like what Bradish and Wells have done this season. But Wells is very homer prone and if you send him out there against the other teams #1, we could be down 0-1 in a hurry. Kremer I wouldn't trust int the playoffs at all.

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

They've been decent, but no one considers them as a true number one pitcher.  Maybe that opinion changes by September, but the starting rotation would benefit from adding a quality arm.

I don't like the idea of Irvin starting every fifth day even if you're satisfied with a top three of Well, Kremer and Bradish. The trade market doesn't seem great, but that's on Elias to identify any potential trade partners.

If what you're looking for is a "true number one" starting pitcher on the level of a Gerrit Cole, there isn't anyone available.

Rates and Barrels guys starting at 4:30 do about 10 minutes on JW.      Bo Naylor, Matt Chapman a couple loose comps trying to ballpark a guy with some strikeouts but that also can sting it.     Chapman has Westburg 115-110 on maxEV - Eugenio Suarez a slightly lower powered guy (by EV, has had some big HR years in good parks) we just saw.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Westburg better be in the lineup tomorrow night. 1 for 4 with one RBI and one run scored plus a walk and good defense at 2B.

It's time for Frazier to transition into a part time player.

You have another left handed starter so he is a lock to be in the lineup.  It will be interesting to see if he starts against a right hander on Wednesday.

Edited by accinfo

3 minutes ago, accinfo said:

You have another left handed starter so he is a lock to be in the lineup.  It will be interesting to see if he starts against a right hander on Wednesday.

The last two years Westburg has been consistently better against RHP with a 1.033 OPS this year and an .886 OPS in 2022.

That's compared to a .674 OPS this season and a .767 OPS in 2022 against LHP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=westbu000jor&type=bgl&year=2023

• Thanks 1