Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

I made the same mistake with Bobby Bonilla (287).

I’m learning to take no chances if I’m not 100% sure.  I went with Frank Howard in that square (382).   I like using former expansion Washington Senators for those Texas squares, as those teams were in DC during my childhood so I remember many obscure players from those teams.  

All I know is that in today's game (05-21-24), they marked me wrong for putting Bob Horner as a 3B for the Braves but I am 99.99% positive I am correct.   I had to use up a guess and go with Terry Pendleton.  I got cheated. 

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

All I know is that in today's game (05-21-24), they marked me wrong for putting Bob Horner as a 3B for the Braves but I am 99.99% positive I am correct.   I had to use up a guess and go with Terry Pendleton.  I got cheated. 

You were robbed.  Sure you put the answer in the right box?   Even their own list of 358 players who played 3B for the Braves lists Horner.  https://stathead.com/tiny/N5Lzd?utm_campaign=2023_07_ig_possible_answers&utm_source=ig&utm_medium=sr_xsite&__hstc=120318167.2ec401450aafa668d29fe44a2b3fcbb3.1715455705551.1716341857306.1716345191002.21&__hssc=120318167.1.1716345191002&__hsfp=1924208164

Also Hank Aaron!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It took awhile, but I managed to use only former Orioles for every answer today. 9/9 12 score for 5/30.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.5ea6d2040ee3dc680afe04d30360f617.png

Very nice! 

I had 9/9, 22, but could only come up with 8 former Orioles.   I couldn't come up with your upper right corner, and it appears he is the only Oriole answer fro that square..   I only had 3 in common with you.

Spoiler

Francisco Rodriguez 1%, Pete Harnish 0.7%, Gary Carter 3%

Fred Lynn 2%, Frank Robinson 5%, Bobby Grich 2%

Aurelio Rodriguez 0.4%, Jose Iglesias 1%, Cal Ripken 8%

Another of the holy grail for me.  9/9, 20 points, all Orioles.

My only regret is that I put an easy answer in the upper left for 15 points.  I could have used any number of guys for 1 or 2% and then I would have a score under 10.

Spoiler

image.png.58cdd47be910bb15d1bc702fe31f415c.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Twice in one week!   An all Oriole Grid, rarity score of 36 (even though there wasn't an Oriole category).   Can't grab screenshots on the work computer.

COLUMNS:   Cubs  /  Caught at least 1 game / Pitched at least 1 game

Yankee Row:   Rich Hill 0.7%  /  Rick Dempsey 0.4%  / Darren O'Day 0.1%

Rockies Row:  Jamie Moyer 3% / Austin Wynns 0.4% / Migel Cano 0.2%

White Sox Row:  Sammy Sosa 30% / Brook Fordyce 0.3% / Steve Stone 0.4%

Could have had a much lower score if I had used Steve Stone for White Sox/Cubs and used some rando like Kevin HIckey for White Sox pitcher.   But I used Stone for White Sox pitcher without thinking it through.

I have officially gone senile.  There was a box for a Rockies catcher the other day and I thought our backup catcher from 2022 (who was the starter until Adley was called up) also had played for the Rockies.  But for the life of me, I couldn’t think of his name.  I literally waited for 10 hours to fill that square hoping the name would come to me.  It never did.

Well, I looked it up and the player I was thinking of was Robinson Chirinos, of course.  And he never did play for the Rockies.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have officially gone senile.  There was a box for a Rockies catcher the other day and I thought our backup catcher from 2022 (who was the starter until Adley was called up) also had played for the Rockies.  But for the life of me, I couldn’t think of his name.  I literally waited for 10 hours to fill that square hoping the name would come to me.  It never did.

Well, I looked it up and the player I was thinking of was Robinson Chirinos, of course.  And he never did play for the Rockies.   

You might have been thinking of Austin Wynns.   That's who I used for that square.

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You might have been thinking of Austin Wynns.   That's who I used for that square.

No, he hadn’t occurred to me.  Though he’s getting around the block, for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another All Oriole Grid, this one with 23 rarity points.   (20 of the rarity points came on 2 playrs).   I think that might be my lowest rarity score for an all Oriole grid, especially for one where Orioles was not one of the categories.

COLUMNS:   Mets / played LF / Played RF

Red Sox Row:   Jose Iglesias 1% / Steve Pearce 0.4% / Dwight Evans 11%

Nationals (Expos) Row:  Ken Singleton 0.5% / Gary Roenicke 0.02% / Vlad Guerrero 9%

Pirates Row:  Joe Orsulak 0.2% / Jose Bautista 0.5% / Travis Snider 0.7%

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Another All Oriole Grid, this one with 23 rarity points.   (20 of the rarity points came on 2 playrs).   I think that might be my lowest rarity score for an all Oriole grid, especially for one where Orioles was not one of the categories.

COLUMNS:   Mets / played LF / Played RF

Red Sox Row:   Jose Iglesias 1% / Steve Pearce 0.4% / Dwight Evans 11%

Nationals (Expos) Row:  Ken Singleton 0.5% / Gary Roenicke 0.02% / Vlad Guerrero 9%

Pirates Row:  Joe Orsulak 0.2% / Jose Bautista 0.5% / Travis Snider 0.7%

I’m playing checkers, you’re playing 3-dimensional chess.   I was just happy to get 9/9 and a score of 58.   I did include Travis Snider though.  Proud of that one.  

Another all Oriole grid, for 18 rarity points.   But... I cheated.   For 3 of the squares I wasn't sure enough of my answer to just type it in the box and risk my perfect game, so I looked it up first.   In each case, the player DID fit in the box, so I COULD have done it on my own.   But I didn't. 

So I can't claim this triumph because I didn't have the balls to do it, but here are today's answers:

Columns:   Tampa / Detroit / .300 avg season

White Sox Row:  Ozzie Guillen 2%, George Kell 0.4%, Albert Belle 0.6%

Padres Row:  Nelson Cruz 6%, Aurelio Rodriguez 0.7%, Manny Machado 7%

Dodgers Row:  Evan Phillips 0.5%, Eric Davis 0.8%, Eddie Murray 0.3%