Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

41, and a discovery for the future: seems like closers are a rarity hack for the All Star category. Chose Diaz, Kimbrel, and Chapman-- three of the most prominent closers of the last 5-10 years. Total of 4.7% for the three of them. 

Spoiler

image.png.a37932e9d5a92c0c28962c0ce34080f4.png

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Upvote 1

9/9, 40.   8 Orioles out of 9 (and the one non-Oriole, the only guy I could think of for that square, was 32 rarity points).

Spoiler

James Shields 32%, Tommy Hunter 0.5%, Nelson Cruz 5%

Matt Albers 0.3%, Pete Harnisch 0.3%, Miguel Tejada 0.4%

Kevin Hickey 0.05%, Kris Benson 0.2%, Jim Palmer 0.5%

Guys I could have used for CWS/TB that  played for the Orioles, if I had thought of them:  Brook Fordyce, Ozzie Guillen, Edwin Jackson, Charles Johnson, Dan Johnson, Chris Singleton.

9/9, 25, all 9 Orioles.

I believe this is only my 2nd 9/9, with all 9 Orioles, on a puzzle that did NOT have an Oriole row or column.   Even if I get nothing useful accomplished at work today, I will sleep proudly tonight.

Spoiler

Gausman 2%, Hammonds 0.9%, Will Clark 4%  

Crowley 0.09%, Harnisch 2%, Frank 2%

Ozzie Guillen 0.7%, JJ Hardy 8%, Cal 8%

• Held my breath when I hit enter on Will Clark, I wasn't 100% sure he hit 30 HRs.   Turns out he just did it once (35 in 1987), hit 29 on a couple other occasions.
  • Regretted using Gausman for SF/Atl, when I realized I could have used him for Cinc/Atl,  which was a struggle for me until I finally remembered The Crow.   If I had used Gausman for Cinc/Atl, I could have used Russ Ortiz for SF/Atl.
  • It never ceases to amaze me the low rarity scores that pop up whenever I use Frank Robinson in association with Cincinnati.   He is an inner circle Hall of Famer, he was rookie of the year and NL MVP for the Reds, also had 4 other NL MVP top 10 finishes there, and he is well known as the first guy to be MVP of both leagues.

• Upvote 1

haven't posted in awhile, good comeback today after foolishly thinking Roy Campanella would've played at least 1 game at 1B for the Dodgers yesterday.

Spoiler

my dad uses Felipe Alou any chance he gets, so needless to say I've pretty much memorized his bbref page.

image.thumb.png.4a890b7c8cddb5ad090e61866ea47ac3.png

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SteveA said:

9/9, 25, all 9 Orioles.

I believe this is only my 2nd 9/9, with all 9 Orioles, on a puzzle that did NOT have an Oriole row or column.   Even if I get nothing useful accomplished at work today, I will sleep proudly tonight.

Hide contents

Gausman 2%, Hammonds 0.9%, Will Clark 4%  

Crowley 0.09%, Harnisch 2%, Frank 2%

Ozzie Guillen 0.7%, JJ Hardy 8%, Cal 8%

• Held my breath when I hit enter on Will Clark, I wasn't 100% sure he hit 30 HRs.   Turns out he just did it once (35 in 1987), hit 29 on a couple other occasions.
  • Regretted using Gausman for SF/Atl, when I realized I could have used him for Cinc/Atl,  which was a struggle for me until I finally remembered The Crow.   If I had used Gausman for Cinc/Atl, I could have used Russ Ortiz for SF/Atl.
  • It never ceases to amaze me the low rarity scores that pop up whenever I use Frank Robinson in association with Cincinnati.   He is an inner circle Hall of Famer, he was rookie of the year and NL MVP for the Reds, also had 4 other NL MVP top 10 finishes there, and he is well known as the first guy to be MVP of both leagues.

RE Frank Robinson - it feels like he's one of the guys that automatically get avoided thinking that they'll kill the rarity score. Unless you remember the teams he played for post-peak with the O's.

Opposite guys like Jim Thome, where I find it amazing that everyone remembers the short stints he had with teams like the Twins and Orioles. Or Mike Piazza - completely forgot he played for the A's somehow he was the top vote getter for MIA - OAK for a bit on Sunday.

Edited by nvpacchi

I did it again!   9/9, all played for the Orioles.   36 points.

Spoiler

Columns:   A's / Nats-Expos / Born Outside US

Rocky Row:   Jay Payton 0.6%  /  Mark Reynolds 1%  /  Jose Iglesias 0.7%

Yankee Row:  Don Baylor 0.3%  /  Tim Raines 14%  /  Breyvic Valera 0.03%

6+ War Season Row:   Reggie Jackson 8% / Vladimir Guerrero 10% / Miguel Tejada 1%

It took me for ever to come up with Valera's name.   I knew who I was looking for, the last guy we got in the Machado deal who was a AAAA utility infielder already in his mid 20s, and he got a couple ABs for us and later surfaced with the Yankees for a cup of coffee.   But I couldn't remember the name.   Finally I kind of felt that it started with V so I started typing various combinations of V-VOWEL-CONSONANT into the selector window until I saw his name in the pulldown.    Wouldn't have taken as long if I had just thought of good ol' Rougie Odor.

9/9, 54, 7 Orioles.

A little hack for under 3.00 ERA is there is no minimum inning requirement so if you can think of a good reliever who played for a team, chances are they had one year where their ERA was under 3.   I filled two spots with Orioles using that.

Couldn't come up with Orioles off the top of my head for two Twin spots, so rather than guess and risk a 9/9, I just put two obvious answers that wound up giving me 45 of my 54 rarity points.

Spoiler

Todd Cruz 0.7%, Nelson Cruz 0.5%, George Sherrill 0.1%

Rick Dempsey 2%, Rod Carew 12%, Johan Santana 33%

Doug DeCinces 5%, Bobby Grich 1%, Don Aase 2%