OT- Ohtani

DocJJ

Just saw video highlight of HR #30 last night.  Superhuman- I mean we might be seeing one of the best to ever play the game....

Which spoiled brat owner is going to break the bank for him at the end of this year?   If he ends up a freakin Yankee that may just end my MLB following days....    

34 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Just saw video highlight of HR #30 last night.  Superhuman- I mean we might be seeing one of the best to ever play the game....

Which spoiled brat owner is going to break the bank for him at the end of this year?   If he ends up a freakin Yankee that may just end my MLB following days....    

Might be seeing one of the best to play the game?  Definitely seeing one of the best -- at least if he can avoid serious injury again.  This season he looks like the best player since Babe Ruth.

I can't see him with the Yankees.  He seems like he's rather stay on the West Coast -- Dodgers, Giants or Mariners.  Slim chance he'll stay in Anaheim but maybe.  Even if he did come east, if it's about the money the Mets might be the biggest spenders in NY these days.  

It's always a good day when CoC whines about where a thread should be placed.

In regards to Ohtani, I do believe he's the best baseball player ever.

I didn't say he's the most accomplished.  That's not the argument.

He's just the best.  The most talented, doing the craziest things that none of us have ever seen before and no one thought was possible.  15 years ago if I told you that one day there'd be a baseball player imported from Japan who was 6'4", could throw 100 mph fastballs and then hit 100 mph fastballs over 450 feet routinely AND ALSO run like a gazelle and steal 20+ bases AND lead the league in triples, no one would believe it.  

Yes, Ruth pitched and hit, but he wasn't a full time hitter AND a full time pitcher for long at all, if ever.   From 1914 to 1917 he only averaged 102 plate appearances per year.  In 1918 he threw about half the innings he did in the previous year, his plate appearances went up to 382.  And then in 1919, his plate appearances went up to 543, while his innings pitched went down to 133.1.

Even if you want to argue that Ruth was better, that's fine, you can certainly make a case.  But no one's going to bring Ruth's speed on the bases into the equation.  And I'm not, I mean I am NOT getting into the predictable debates of the level of competition Ruth faced vs. what Ohtani is facing and other factors, (training or lack of it, travel, blah blah blah).  

Baseball fans haven't seen anything like Ohtani since Ruth at the very least.  And that, IMO, puts him squarely in the conversation as the best baseball player ever.

Not the most accomplished.  Not the most records, not the most hardware, not the most WAR, that's not the argument.  So don't try to make it that argument.

Just the best.  

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 4

Ohtani might be the Greatest Of All Time as an all around player. For that reason he will get more money than any other player, and sadly, we don't have an owner or the fan base that could sign him to a deal. As far as community, the nearest significant Japanese-American population to the Orioles is in Washington D.C.

I think the most teams that might be most likely in contention to sign him are...

Dodgers

Angels

Mariners

Padres

Mets

Giants

Yankees

Rangers (Dark Horse candidate, because they got money and they'll spend it on Pitchers.)

I like Moose Milligan's arguments....   I think we are seeing of the legendary All-Time greats... and people 100 years from now will talk about him the way we talk about Ruth today....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I like Moose Milligan's arguments....   I think we are seeing of the legendary All-Time greats... and people 100 years from now will talk about him the way we talk about Ruth today....

100 years from now, they’ll probably be talking about him the way we talk about great boxers and racehorses from the 1920’s today.   Baseball will have faded from relevance.  

Man, that Jack Dempsey was awesome!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

100 years from now, they’ll probably be talking about him the way we talk about great boxers and racehorses from the 1920’s today.   Baseball will have faded from relevance.  

Man, that Jack Dempsey was awesome!

Wonder what the new thing will be.  I see organized sports fading from relevance.  Already starting to see it a little bit.  Young kids don't care as much about following their favorite sports heroes, they're far more interested in Youtubers.