What can be done to fix the Bullpen?

casadeozo

9 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Stroman+Merryweather. Despite Merryweather's just ok, 3.47 ERA, he's been absolutely dominant outside of a couple outings this year. 8 of his 14 ER have come in 2 of his 37 appearances. Since his first appearance of the year he's posted a 2.27 ERA, 2.65  FIP, 12.62 K/9 spanning 35 2/3 IP

Merryweather is interesting. You stated the bull case. The bear case would be 4.7 BB/9 and 1.41 WHIP combined with career 4.75 ERA. Agree with Stroman, very interesting target and could be available. 

20 minutes ago, Answerman said:

Perhaps we take another look within the system, but expand the scope to include current starters at Norfolk and Bowie. Any reason Grayson or some other starter can't finish out the season in the big league bullpen?

Trade low prospect for Hunter Harvey and start converting Hall, McDermott.

Just now, Just Regular said:

Bradish or Wells will probably get the same shot to be their own 7th inning guy if they are good enough with the All-Star break on deck.

Sure, if they’ve only thrown 85 pitches through 6, as Kremer had.  

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Detroit is only 5.5 GB in the Central.  The White Sox are 7 GB and came into the season with expectations.  I don't see those two selling right now.  The Padres aren't selling.  They are in the same place as the Mets.  The Mariners only "sold" to dump $5 Million in salary.  I just don't see a market right now.  Definitely not a savior.  Chapman fit the bill, but he's gone.  Elias missed an opportunity there.  

I think you are over estimating teams that actually are still in it.  You still have to get to a number to make the playoffs.  The Wild card teams will still have to win about 87 games to make it and the division winners at least 83.   The Mets will have to go 48-29 or play .623 baseball the rest of the way.  2 teams played over .600 the first half of the season.  The Padres same boat have to be 47-29.    The Tigers and White Sox are in same boat with having to play over .600 baseball second half of the year to get to the number of wins they will need.  Another week or so of playing at or below .500 and these teams will be forced to make a decision they might not want to make.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Answerman said:

Perhaps we take another look within the system, but expand the scope to include current starters at Norfolk and Bowie. Any reason Grayson or some other starter can't finish out the season in the big league bullpen?

I don't know if Elias is willing to do it, but DL Hall could be a very good bullpen pitcher with his arm. Hall could crank up his velocity knowing he's only going to pitch a couple innings per outing.

A lot of teams need to go 12-4. 

I think Elias' due diligence is going to end up involving holding the A package he means to invest until information which rentals from better teams become clearer in the last 48 hours.     

Its going to be insanity here that Monday Tuesday.

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't know if Elias is willing to do it, but DL Hall could be a very good bullpen pitcher with his arm. Hall could crank up his velocity knowing he's only going to pitch a couple innings per outing.

Have you been following what’s going on with him?  He was being limited to 3 innings and was still having trouble generating his usual velocity.  Now he’s in Sarasota working on his conditioning.  He might be an asset later this summer, but he’s not going to be in Baltimore anytime this month, for sure.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Complete speculation but I feel like if Hyde and Elias liked Harvey they would not have given up on him. We could very easily have kept him on the roster but we didn't. I don't see them reversing course.

7 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I like the idea of converting some of our SP in the minors to relievers for this season. Let’s see what we can get out of the system too. A month or two of relieving isn’t going to stunt their development. 

If only there were a Ben Joyce type in the draft I’m this year. 

I would call Cleveland and see if they are willing to move James Karinchak. They sent him to AAA despite decent numbers this year (he has an issue giving up HRs and has a couple of really bad outings). His command has been worse than  usual, leading to the HRs and a 6.48 walk rate. The K rate is still about 12.4 per 9. Last year the K rate was over 14 and the FIP was a 2.29.

Karinchak is under team control until 2027. They need hitters (particularly in the OF). I think there could be a match, but I don’t think Cleveland would give him away.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Have you been following what’s going on with him?  He was being limited to 3 innings and was still having trouble generating his usual velocity.  Now he’s in Sarasota working on his conditioning.  He might be an asset later this summer, but he’s not going to be in Baltimore anytime this month, for sure.  

Well scratch that idea. Elias is likely going to have to look outside the organization to bolster the bullpen.

I was thinking today how I actually kind of miss Austin Voth. Since he went down with elbow soreness, the Orioles have started a middle relief parade that featured guys like Reed Garrett (DFA'd and claimed), Gillaspie (optioned after yet another failed stint), and Chris Vallimont (DFA'd and traded). 

And since then, two more relievers have gone down - Perez (elbow) and Akin (back). 

Those 3 guys kind of represented our middle/mop-up relief options and as mediocre as they've been this year, it's been a struggle to replace them. However, I'm hopeful that the current trio of Bazardo, Vespi, and Zimmermann can kind of solidify things enough before we make some trades. 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

I was thinking today how I actually kind of miss Austin Voth. Since he went down with elbow soreness, the Orioles have started a middle relief parade that featured guys like Reed Garrett (DFA'd and claimed), Gillaspie (optioned after yet another failed stint), and Chris Vallimont (DFA'd and traded). 

And since then, two more relievers have gone down - Perez (elbow) and Akin (back). 

Those 3 guys kind of represented our middle/mop-up relief options and as mediocre as they've been this year, it's been a struggle to replace them. However, I'm hopeful that the current trio of Bazardo, Vespi, and Zimmermann can kind of solidify things enough before we make some trades. 

If Irvin in MLB and Grayson in AAA can string together a couple more good starts, I'd like to see Grayson take Irvin's spot and then Irvin take a bulk role rather than start in AAA. He has been pretty good since getting recalled and would probably be an improvement over what we were getting from Voth.