Our Best "Touchable" Trade Bait is.........

Sanity Check

....in my opinion, it's Joey Ortiz.  If I'm another organization wanting a piece for the future, he could be highly valued.  Here's why - his defense is top notch and his offense is promising.  And when you look at him within our prospect pool, he's redundant to the pieces already on our major league team, and those on the way. 

Maybe DL Hall fits as well if another team wants to take a chance.  If we get a major league starter for our rotation now, maybe Cade Povich is someone other teams might have interest in.

I know many on here would like to see some combination of Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo and Frazier dealt at the deadline, but I don't think those guys, even if packaged together, would bring us anything to help the major league team, other than opening things up for our own prospects.  I just don't think a team building for their future wants or values any of these guys highly (and neither does the Hangout Community in general), and certainly won't give up a bona fide major league starter for any of them.

I also don't see us including Hays, Mullins or Santander in a deal, unless it's for a high-upside starter with several years of control, who is already performing respectably at the major league level.

Bottom line, I could see Joey Ortiz being a key piece for another team, but we'd even had to sweeten it further for what we need.

Agree?  Disagree?  (I've already learned that we all can't agree on any one thing......according to Moose and John Candy) 

• Upvote 1

Personally I really love the idea of a Henderson/Ortiz/Westburg infield for the next couple years til Holliday replaces Ortiz. I think if anyone is traded it should be the real fringe, yet still good, guys like Norby, Prieto, and Haskin. None of those guys have a real shot of getting enough playing time to even just prove they can take it to this level. 

Not sure who our best would be, that would be in the eye of the beholder.

I think either Ortiz or Westburg is the likely best guy, as one of them likely needs to be dealt, although that doesn’t necessarily have to happen now.

Im All for trading for a rental but I don’t want to deal Ortiz or Westburg for a rental.

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Personally I really love the idea of a Henderson/Ortiz/Westburg infield for the next couple years til Holliday replaces Ortiz. I think if anyone is traded it should be the real fringe, yet still good, guys like Norby, Prieto, and Haskin. None of those guys have a real shot of getting enough playing time to even just prove they can take it to this level. 

Holliday will be ready in a year or so..not “a couple of years”.

1 minute ago, oriole said:

I don't disagree with you about preferring to see those other guys traded instead, but if I'm the other team trading with the Orioles, I don't think I'd settle for those guys if I'm giving up someone to help the Orioles rotation or bullpen right now.....I'd want Joey if I can't have Jordan or Gunnar or Jackson.

I'm looking at it through their eyes, not ours.

It depends how we define "touchable." I think most players are touchable for the right deal, but as for the guys we would be offering in trade talks, I do think Ortiz is in the conversation. Hall has struggled this year so I'm not sure how much that's impacted his value, but he'd be in the conversation as well along with Norby. I generally think the Orioles will shy away from dealing someone from the MLB roster (aside from Urias/Frazier/Mateo--but none of those are better than the prospects). Ultimately, they may just acquire the best arm they can get for a package of something like Ortiz, Hall and a further away prospect like Estrada. 

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I don't disagree with you about preferring to see those other guys traded instead, but if I'm the other team trading with the Orioles, I don't think I'd settle for those guys if I'm giving up someone to help the Orioles rotation or bullpen right now.....I'd want Joey if I can't have Jordan or Gunnar or Jackson.

I'm looking at it through their eyes, not ours.

You take the best players you can. Getting top 100 prospects and very good prospects out of a deep farm system is likely better than what most teams will be offering, especially for rentals.

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

If he's considered touchable before the deadline, then I will agree with you.  We'd have to get a really good return, obviously.

I like Hays. He's been pretty lucky the first half of the season (.387 BABIP). Now, he's hitting the ball harder than he has historically so perhaps it's a mechanical adjustment that is driving this and perhaps it's even somewhat sustainable, but I think he is expendable given our riches and I further believe when packaged with a couple of minor leaguers could net a relatively significant return. He's also controllable, with 2 1/2 more years prior to FA. 

He's versatile, and when he's healthy he's pretty good. I think he could be an attractive piece.

• Upvote 1

I agree that it's Joey Ortiz and I think there's a good chance that he goes on to have a nice career. I think Urias has more value than others think and maybe he nets a MLB bullpen arm that the O's feel like they can improve. 

I don't see Elias in the market for a rental or a TOR guy so maybe Norby or Prieto brings back a guy who is a viable starting pitcher in a year or so. A Povich/McDermott/Seth Johnson type target. 

I'm hoping Houston sees their dumpster fire at first and short left field wall and sends young pitching for Mountcastle but the above seems more likely than this. At the same time, Mountcastle would fit vs LHP on the O's better if Urias is dealt. Hopefully Houston or Philly sees more in him than that. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure who our best would be, that would be in the eye of the beholder.

I think either Ortiz or Westburg is the likely best guy, as one of them likely needs to be dealt, although that doesn’t necessarily have to happen now.

Im All for trading for a rental but I don’t want to deal Ortiz or Westburg for a rental.

I agree with this, but think Westburg might not be touchable right now.

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I agree that it's Joey Ortiz and I think there's a good chance that he goes on to have a nice career. I think Urias has more value than others think and maybe he nets a MLB bullpen arm that the O's feel like they can improve. 

I don't see Elias in the market for a rental or a TOR guy so maybe Norby or Prieto brings back a guy who is a viable starting pitcher in a year or so. A Povich/McDermott/Seth Johnson type target. 

I'm hoping Houston sees their dumpster fire at first and short left field wall and sends young pitching for Mountcastle but the above seems more likely than this. At the same time, Mountcastle would fit vs LHP on the O's better if Urias is dealt. Hopefully Houston or Philly sees more in him than that. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Urias moved.   He's not getting enough ABs here and I think that has affected his play a bit.  If he could attract a solid BP arm, I'd be all for moving him.

• Upvote 1