Friday, July 7: Orioles at Twins, televised exclusively by AppleTV+

SteveA

1 hour ago, deward said:

Cano should be available tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

You don't think Felix can come back for Sunday?  I'd send him out there.

Tangent, but I think a team like the Orioles who have 2 elite relievers should send them out for 2 inning saves on alternating days.  They would cover many more innings that way.  I know that in some circumstances you need to get them in for work, so there might be occasional days you can't do this.  But you still get 95-105 high leverage innings in 50-55 appearances.

Bautista and Cano have the All Star game on Tuesday. If there's any opportunity to rest them, we need to do it. This is why C_O_C made the good point about not liking our pitchers going to the All Star game. Because it complicates their rest.

Cano could possibly close the game tomorrow but I'm not pitching Felix for days after extending him as much as he was extended the past couple of outings. He's not a cyborg. He's a human athlete.

So what I would do is bump Baker to a leverage position for the next 2 games, with the possibility that we might have to count on him to close Sunday.

If the offense shows up and scores alot of runs, then none of this is a big concern. But Minnesota has the best pitching staff in the majors and our bats have been inconsistent, so it's something that needs to be discussed by the coaching staff ahead of these games because we are no strangers to close games.