Changes coming to the O's

Fan4Life

52 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I think that the O's are going to bring Mountcastle back up and implement a strict platoon between him and O'hearn at 1b.

Here is the player you get if you combine O'hearn's stats vs righties and Mounty's stats versus lefties this year:

Ryan O'Castle:

AB   Runs  Hits  2bs  3bs  HRs   RBIs  BBs  Ks   Avg   Obp   Slg   Ops

203   33     64    14     0     14      49    12   45   .315  .374  .591  .966

Hey now! That's an All-Star.

Here is the player you get if you combine their stats in Righty / Righty and Lefty / Left matchups:

Ryan MountHernia

168   22     33      7     1      4      17      8    54   .188  .233  .295  .528

O'hearn's only had 8 ABs versus lefties so SSS is in effect, and even if Mounty isn't with the team, Hyde can play other righties there as a part of a platoon (Urias, etc.).

But I have a feeling that given how Mountcastle has annihilated lefty pitchers this year (.676 slugging / 1.017 ops) that the O's will see him as an asset off the bench when opponents bring in relievers to match up against the O's left handed heavy hitting lineups.

The O's need a weapon on the bench to punish opponents that bring in a left handed reliever. Mountcastle is that weapon - so I don't see him going anywhere.

What is the combined production of Frazier and Santander/Urias? Whose spot would Mountcastle take? Frazier? With Hays back, we should have Hicks on the bench most days. Is Mountcastle off the bench going to pinch hit for anyone other than O'Hearn? I think this would be a good option when rosters expand but I'd rather have a more versatile guy than LHP-only/DH-only. Once rosters expand he can be our Geronimo Berroa lefty masher.

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

I think that the O's are going to bring Mountcastle back up and implement a strict platoon between him and O'hearn at 1b.

Here is the player you get if you combine O'hearn's stats vs righties and Mounty's stats versus lefties this year:

Ryan O'Castle:

203   33     64    14     0     14      49    12   45   .315  .374  .591  .966

Hey now! That's an All-Star.

Here is the player you get if you combine their stats in Righty / Righty and Lefty / Left matchups:

Ryan MountHernia

168   22     33      7     1      4      17      8    54   .188  .233  .295  .528

O'hearn's only had 8 ABs versus lefties so SSS is in effect, and even if Mounty isn't with the team, Hyde can play other righties there as a part of a platoon (Urias, etc.).

But I have a feeling that given how Mountcastle has annihilated lefty pitchers this year (.676 slugging / 1.017 ops) that the O's will see him as an asset off the bench when opponents bring in relievers to match up against the O's left handed heavy hitting lineups.

The O's need a weapon on the bench to punish opponents that bring in a left handed reliever. Mountcastle is that weapon - so I don't see him going anywhere.

I like this idea, but tell me who is off the 26 man for him

30 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I like this idea, but tell me who is off the 26 man for him

I think its time to trade Mateo, Frazier or Urias. Preferably all three of  them. I think Mounty stays in the minors until that happens.

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I think its time to trade Mateo, Frazier or Urias. Preferably all three of  them. I think Mounty stays in the minors until that happens.

Mounty has already been recalled this morning.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

What is the combined production of Frazier and Santander/Urias? Whose spot would Mountcastle take? Frazier? With Hays back, we should have Hicks on the bench most days. Is Mountcastle off the bench going to pinch hit for anyone other than O'Hearn? I think this would be a good option when rosters expand but I'd rather have a more versatile guy than LHP-only/DH-only. Once rosters expand he can be our Geronimo Berroa lefty masher.

He'll be playing ever time we face a LHP, so he's not pure bench PH fodder. And I think he'll PH for whichever left handed hitter is up (Cowser, Gunnar, Mullins, O'hearn) when we have a high leverage late inning situation and a lefty reliever is brought in.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you are wrong.  😛

You might want to stay up on the news before you make predictions.

I don't care what you think.

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Mounty has already been recalled this morning.

There it is then.

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

He'll be playing ever time we face a LHP, so he's not pure bench PH fodder. And I think he'll PH for whichever left handed hitter is up (Cowser, Gunnar, Mullins, O'hearn) when we have a high leverage late inning situation and a lefty reliever is brought in.

I think the only guy he pinch hits for is O'Hearn. Maybe Gunnar in an extreme situation and that would depending on having Mateo or Frazier left. But RM is probably taking one of their spots.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I think the only guy he pinch hits for is O'Hearn. Maybe Gunnar in an extreme situation and that would depending on having Mateo or Frazier left. But RM is probably taking one of their spots.

I could see him hitting for a number of guys in the 9th if they need a dong. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah I think your right. Mullins hits lefties well. Gunnar's .556 OPS is troubling. Hope he gets that up to the point where you don't need to even consider PHing for him.