Changes coming to the O's

Fan4Life

3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I was mentioning this to a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. And iirc, we’ve only had 1 rainout that we have to make up. Really weird. 

I think the Rays have to do a “circus” road trip every year because they can’t play at the trop because the Circus is in town. Like the Chicago Bulls have had to do in basketball for years. I’m not sure this is the reason but they could’ve jammed in a bunch of road games the 1st half of the season to accommodate that. 

36 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I just don’t see who you drop for Mountcastle right now barring an injury. All the guys you would theoretically drop are playing pretty well. If you drop Mateo, you’ve lost speed and defense at a key position. I’m sure we’d all love to see Frazier gone, but that’s just not happening.

Mateo is a great defender at SS. The problem is, we don’t need it because Henderson appears more than capable of playing the position. The speed I agree with though.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Mateo is a great defender at SS. The problem is, we don’t need it because Henderson appears more than capable of playing the position. The speed I agree with though.

When you trot out Irvin you need all the defense you have. I think that’s why Mateo played last night. As long as the other 4 keep hitting, we’ll see Mateo in a strictly reserve role with an occasional start. 

Mateo would be great as a Terrance Gore type. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve made 3-4 big moves the last two weeks. Called up Westburg and Cowser. Activated Mullins. “Benched” Mateo. 

Mountcastle is an easy one. Just option him to AAA. He hasn’t proven enough for us to alter our 26 man roster. We’re not desperate. 

It looks like Tate is done and Givens is just a mess. Maybe Givens tries to come back before the deadline, just so we can see what we have. 

I think Gonzalez is coming up soon. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When you trot out Irvin you need all the defense you have. I think that’s why Mateo played last night. As long as the other 4 keep hitting, we’ll see Mateo in a strictly reserve role with an occasional start. 

Mateo would be great as a Terrance Gore type. 

That makes no sense. Irvin is a FB pitcher. 

The right decision is to option Mountcastle. If you need to make a move, Frazier is a good guy to go, but that probably isn’t happening. As unpopular as this would be, next guy to go would have to be Urias. He’s completely blocked at this point and playing out of position and it’s not like he’s a good enough hitter that he absolutely has to be in the lineup. Though, you could also make a good argument for Mateo but I feel like his speed and defense are too important. 

Anyways, it’ll be interesting to see if they pick the obvious answer. They seem to have been hung up on Mountcastle in the past but hopefully that’s behind us. 

Rodriguez has already eclipsed his IP from last year. It’ll be interesting to see how far they let him go. Best guess would be a move to the bullpen, which if he can translate his starting success at Norfolk to the bullpen in Baltimore would be a huge help.

GRod to the rotation.   Irvin to mid/long relief in the pen.  Zimmermann optioned to AAA.

Mountcastle optioned to AAA.   He still needs time to improve his plate discipline.  No walks in the last week and a .290 OBP.   That kind of performance at AAA does not translate well to the majors.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think the Orioles make a trade over the all star break. Urias, Mateo, or Hicks would be my guess. 

Urias is the only one of those three with any kind of trade value and he’s valuable to us as a contact bat who can play all over the infield. Hicks is more valuable to us than any return he would bring back. 

I would salary dump Frazier to any team willing. He’s been okay, so maybe you get a C prospect if willing to eat a couple mil. 

I do agree Mateo is the one who is most likely to go, but it may have to be a DFA. 

Edited by ChuckS

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

You have to bring Rodriguez up and remove Irvin from the rotation even though he’s pitched so well as of late.

I am not naive to anoint Irvin as a fixture in the rotation or that he’s “figured it out” based off of a couple of starts but I think the O’s have the luxury of going with the hot hand just about everywhere. If Gibson continues to get mauled then it may make more sense to plug GrayRod into his turn in the rotation to give him a break. “Tired Arm” is an ILable thing. 

I want the best 9 on the field every game. Period. If Irvin is pitching better than Gibson, then Irvin should get the starts. 

Edited by banks703

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Urias is the only one of those three with any kind of trade value and he’s valuable to us as a contact bat who can play all over the infield. Hicks is more valuable to us than any return he would bring back. 

I would salary dump Frazier to any team willing. He’s been okay, so maybe you get a C prospect if willing to eat a couple mil. 

I do agree Mateo is the one who is most likely to go, but it may have to be a DFA. 

Unless an unexpected trade happens I think it’s gotta be Mountcastle being optioned.  I just can’t see them giving away depth (Mateo, Frazier) when an option is available.

I’ll also be interested to see what they do with Grayson’s next start.  Wouldn’t mind a shorter start to save some innings but get him some work.  Then bring him up after the break.

34 minutes ago, waroriole said:

That makes no sense. Irvin is a FB pitcher. 

He had 9 ground outs and 3 fly balls. I guess he didn’t get the memo that he’s only a fly ball pitcher. My point was Irvin relies on his defense. So Mateo was playing last night because of that. It was a good spot of Hyde to get him in, if he is only going to start 2-3 times a week. 

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He had 9 ground outs and 3 fly balls. I guess he didn’t get the memo that he’s only a fly ball pitcher. My point was Irvin relies on his defense. So Mateo was playing last night because of that. It was a good spot of Hyde to get him in, if he is only going to start 2-3 times a week. 

Well, if Hyde is omnipotent and knows the GB:FB ratio in every game, I’m gonna need to have much higher standards for him. Don’t we need to score more runs for pitchers who give up a lot of runs too?

10 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Do we know whether Hicks strained his Achilles due to stepping in a pothole?

Doubt it--optioning McKenna created space and Hicks did play in the OF bottom of the 10th inning.

Edited by LA2