Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

A bit of an update, since I know both guys have been talked about on here ad nauseam.  Jordan Montgomery is getting shelled today and Stroman is on the verge of not being on the trade market as the Cubs are getting close to playing themselves back into things.

If the Cubs are betting on a team 6.5 games out of first in a very mediocre Central division to beat the Braves or Dodgers come post season time, their GM should be fired on the spot.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

He's also had 17 walks in his last 21 innings pitched, so he's trending the wrong direction at the moment.  Additionally he has a 13% BB% when the MLB average is 8.4% so he's probably not going to turn his command issues around anytime soon.

Tryptamine's post was simply meant as an update to pitchers that have been discussed as Orioles trade targets before the deadline.  My post as well.

I wonder why no update was provided regarding Eduardo Rodriguez's last start?

56 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Ugh.  I liked the Fujinami trade but we don't need two more like it.  This team is in a great position.  Time to take some risks.  

Unfortunately, if the team strategy going forward is going to be “keep the payroll as low as remotely possible,” this adds up. Have to keep as much as the farm as possible because you’ll need those guys making the minimum.

4 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Unfortunately, if the team strategy going forward is going to be “keep the payroll as low as remotely possible,” this adds up. Have to keep as much as the farm as possible because you’ll need those guys making the minimum.

Not all of them can make the Orioles team. There's no place to put them all.

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Well I guess you can trade guys like Urias and Mateo for middle relievers to make more room.  

Well I’d say in the off-season it’d be guys like Hays and Santander that get sent packing for arms - in part because their salaries are due to go up in arbitration.

42 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If the Cubs are betting on a team 6.5 games out of first in a very mediocre Central division to beat the Braves or Dodgers come post season time, their GM should be fired on the spot.

As of right now you're correct, but with 7 more games before the deadline, if they take 3 of their next 4, it's certainly a possibility. 

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Not all of them can make the Orioles team. There's no place to put them all.

Oh I imagine some will get dealt… but in offseason deals to get other players  in positions of need who are under team control/making less money.

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Because I wasn't watching the game? It's not a conspiracy,  a Cub fan was watching a Cub game and so I thought I'd relay it. 

Wait what?

You are a Cub fan posting on an O's fan site? No problem, the more the merrier!

Are the O's your second favorite team? Or do you just love baseball that much?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Wait what?

You are a Cub fan posting on an O's fan site? No problem, the more the merrier!

Are the O's your second favorite team? Or do you just love baseball that much?

I started lurking during the Brian Robert's rumors and now I just periodically check in, mostly during the trade deadline and in free agency. God, what was that like 10+ years ago.....

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Oh I imagine some will get dealt… but in offseason deals to get other players  in positions of need who are under team control/making less money.

It would be a really poor decision to bypass an opportunity with a team this good with the best record in your league but a gaping sized hole in the roster that we all know will come back to bite you in order to hedge your bets for future seasons with unknowable outcomes. 

Starting pitchers get injured all of the time and eventually they all break at some point, if we were to sustain just two injuries to our starting staff next year in the form or Wells and Bradish or Bradish and Rodriguez, we would be royally screwed and would have next to no shot (given the degree of pitching talent in our entire org) to be positioned here again. Or if even Felix Bautista were to sustain any kind of injury next year, we would again be nowhere as good.

IMO it would be supreme arrogance or negligence to punt/pass up this season's chances to seriously compete for the World Series simply because you are afraid to (even worse) too cheap to make a meaningful trade.

If that's the mentality of the org, we are most likely doomed with that kind of dogma (refusal to spend at all cost no matter what).

35 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It would be a really poor decision to bypass an opportunity with a team this good with the best record in your league but a gaping sized hole in the roster that we all know will come back to bite you in order to hedge your bets for future seasons with unknowable outcomes. 

Starting pitchers get injured all of the time and eventually they all break at some point, if we were to sustain just two injuries to our starting staff next year in the form or Wells and Bradish or Bradish and Rodriguez, we would be royally screwed and would have next to no shot (given the degree of pitching talent in our entire org) to be positioned here again. Or if even Felix Bautista were to sustain any kind of injury next year, we would again be nowhere as good.

IMO it would be supreme arrogance or negligence to punt/pass up this season's chances to seriously compete for the World Series simply because you are afraid to (even worse) too cheap to make a meaningful trade.

If that's the mentality of the org, we are most likely doomed with that kind of dogma (refusal to spend at all cost no matter what).

I don’t disagree …. But, I think we should be after controllable assets, especially if they are some of our higher ranked guys. I don’t think you just trade off asset’s because they might not make your team. Also, I’m against trading them for 2 months of a player you have no intention of signing. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t disagree …. But, I think we should be after controllable assets, especially if they are some of our higher ranked guys. I don’t think you just trade off asset’s because they might not make your team. Also, I’m against trading them for 2 months of a player you have no intention of signing. 

If you want to keep acquisition costs down and still be able to obtain players that can make meaningful impact, rentals is the way to go. If we are after acquiring "controllable assets" we are going to have to be willing to give up more most likely to obtain those kind of players. i.e. - Dylan Cease will probably cost more than Eduardo Rodriguez or Blake Snell.