Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think I would give up Ortiz for Gioloto.  Too much imo.

Hold up, so you’d give up Westburg, Hall, and Wagner for Burnes but Ortiz for Giolito is too much? Giolito has outperformed Burnes this year. I know there’s an extra year of control for Burnes, but he’s also he’s also having one of the worst seasons of his career. 

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

I get that and was struggling with just offering Norby instead, but I think it may take that kind of value to outbid others.  

Then don't do it. Acquiring Gioloto isn't going to push this team over the edge and win the WS. No player is going to do that. This is a good/fun team, but they're still in the process of coming into their own.

If it was just about money, then sure, go ahead and overpay. But not with non-fungible prospects.

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I get that and was struggling with just offering Norby instead, but I think it may take that kind of value to outbid others.  

It's going to be a seller's market.  The AL only has 4 teams out of the wild card race.  NL has a few more teams probably selling, but there will be more buyers than sellers.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Definitely not an ace but better than Kremer, Gibson, and Irvin. I would give up something for that 

Keller is still young-ish, has been making strides and is under control for two more seasons beyond 2023. He will cost more than any other names available, in all likelihood. 

5 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Keller is still young-ish, has been making strides and is under control for two more seasons beyond 2023. He will cost more than any other names available, in all likelihood. 

Ortiz is a top 100 prospect hitting close to 1.000 in AAA with elite defense at any position. Kremer would fill their rotation spot with more years of control. You think it takes more than that? You think he costs more than Cease? He does not have nearly the track record.

25 minutes ago, oriole said:

Hold up, so you’d give up Westburg, Hall, and Wagner for Burnes but Ortiz for Giolito is too much? Giolito has outperformed Burnes this year. I know there’s an extra year of control for Burnes, but he’s also he’s also having one of the worst seasons of his career. 

At this point, losing Hall is no biggie and the other 2 are pretty easy to replace. It really is about losing Westburg for 1.5 years of Burnes or .5 year of Gioloto. 

I would probably rather acquire Gio but in this scenario, I would take Burnes. But I think we can get Gio for less than Ortiz.

Here’s the thing….one of Westburg or Ortiz has to go sometime in the next 18 months. Are you going to get a better player than Burnes back for either of them?

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Ortiz is a top 100 prospect hitting close to 1.000 in AAA with elite defense at any position. Kremer would fill their rotation spot with more years of control. You think it takes more than that? You think he costs more than Cease? He does not have nearly the track record.

Cease is the reason I ended with “in all likelihood,” as he’s the only guy that *may* command a higher price.

And, yes, I think Mitch Keller would cost more than No. 64 and a pitcher that we’re actively trying to replace.

The O’s should be able to get rentals without touching the guys that most folks here consider “top tier,” but if you want someone with years of control you’re looking at moving someone from the Cowser, Westburg, Kjerstad camp.

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

When Cease is on, he's right there with the best pitchers in the game.  I don't think that Keller has ever shown that ability.  You would have to think Elias would kick the tires on trading for both of them in the offseason.  I wouldn't be surprised if it would take 2 top 100 prospects for either. 

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Tigers need a lot and lose ERod after this year when he undoubtedly opts out.  You could expand it into a Foley or Alex Lange deal.   

Joey Ortiz plus to Detroit

I love an E Rod and Foley (ground balls and not HR-prone) combo deal. Their top two prospects are 3B/2B and 2B so perhaps they’d like to trick out 4/5/6 for the next few years but it makes it harder to come up with the “plus” - OF maybe.