Cedric Mullins

boothdos

46 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

These are the same people that didn’t want him called up in the first place so of course they’re going to gloat while he’s OPSing .500. 

And people were gloating that Westburg had a 190 OPS+ (Or something like that) after approximately 25 at bats. People love small sample sizes when they support their belief(s).

I have seen them both play in Norfolk, have my own opinions about them, think my opinions are relatively meaningless, and I prefer to just see how they do over the next year and a half. Unfortunately, that probably makes me a boring message board poster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Right and he should stay up and learn at the big league level. Sounds like some posters are already.ready to send him back down 

He should stay up...  take his lumps... adjust to the game, and prosper.

And it should have been the same for Ortiz and Stowers.

I think it's potentially damaging to a player to whisk them back to the minors if they scuffle a little.

Eventually, these guys have to learn to swim. Stop taking them out of the pool.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Where is it documented?  

Palmer talks about it all the time.  Every single time we play in Boston he mentions how Fenway plays different than the rest of the stadiums (due to height) and OFers have to get used to that field.  

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

He should stay up...  take his lumps... adjust to the game, and prosper.

And it should have been the same for Ortiz and Stowers.

I think it's potentially damaging to a player to whisk them back to the minors if they scuffle a little.

Eventually, these guys have to learn to swim. Stop taking them out of the pool.

But what about those that never learn to swim? Regardless of how highly regarded prospects are, some never figure it out. (I’m not talking about Cowser; I’m of the opinion that he’ll figure it out at the plate, but I’ve never believed that he was a CF.) How long do you stay with them? I think these questions are more complicated for a team that is 22 games over .500. I honestly think management has done a good job promoting players, and I am glad they stuck with Gunnar.

7 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

C'mon Can, that's far from well documented.  I guess that explains why Cowser looks awful.  My thinking more along the lines of rookie jitters.  

I was providing a data point.

That's it.

I didn't make any claims, just passing along information.

Just now, Sydnor said:

But what about those that never learn to swim? Regardless of how highly regarded prospects are, some never figure it out. (I’m not talking about Cowser; I’m of the opinion that he’ll figure it out at the plate, but I’ve never believed that he was a CF.) How long do you stay with them? I think these questions are more complicated for a team that is 22 games over .500. I honestly think management has done a good job promoting players, and I am glad they stuck with Gunnar.

You give them as much rope as you can spare and then send them off to a team that is willing to give them a further opportunity.  Eventually they will either improve or run out of chances.

• Upvote 1

Some of you are tiring. “Send Gunnar down”. “Cowser is over matched, send him down”.  When you are always wrong on your opinions, why don’t you learn to not voice those anymore?  You continue to spew dumb things without ever looking back and admitting you were wrong or learning from the stupid stuff you post. 
I fully expect down votes from this post, but when you click that button, think long and hard about how emotional and stupid you actually are. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sydnor said:

They are complicated questions. And exacerbated by the teams tendency to hang on to poor to middling veterans instead of playing their emerging talent.

you can make a credible argument that over late last season and early this..  Odor, Phillips, Owings, Aguilar, and Mateo kept us from finding out what we really have in Vavra, Stowers, Ortiz and even Norby.

I think this front office drafts exceptionally well... but sometimes I question their strategic roster management.

Cowser is fine. If he’s eight times through the rotation and his ERA is 7+ (obviously I’m referencing GrayRod) then you send him back to Norfolk to figure things out. 

Some players take longer to adjust. He’s eight games (five of which he’s started if I’m not mistaken) into his major league career. GTFOH with this nonsense. 

Go to OPACY in July for an afternoon game to see where the sun is positioned. Yes, the second deck can be a challenge to outfielders who haven’t played there. All the griping about why the statcast stuff says Hays is slow and gets poor jumps, he explained that he breaks late on balls on purpose because of the way the stadium plays and he wants to be sure of his route to the ball.

If Cowser is hitting .143 on August 16, 30 games into his career then let’s panic a little then. He hasn’t even played in a week’s equivalent of games yet. LOL. 

Good grief. I thought I was bad at overreacting.