Sunday afternoon July 23: O's go for Series win vs. the Rays

FlaO'sFan

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

It’s useless, the game thread regulars hate them some Jorge Mateo and Ryan Mountcastle.

Yeah the sheer massive amount of suck we have seen from Mateo and Mountcastle probably does blind us to the good they might do.  Batting in the low .200's tend to turn people off. 

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Well Odor was good in the clubhouse....Hyde like that he was tough.  And he turned a good double play.  Other than that he should of been off the team.  But Hyde used him every possible chance.  Seems we do this as a team practice.  Get used to it. 

We sure do do it as a team practice.  I'll pass on getting used to it as it's foolish.  

Just now, Gurgi said:

Yeah the sheer massive amount of suck we have seen from Mateo and Mountcastle probably does blind us to the good they might do.  Batting in the low .200's tend to turn people off. 

I applaud when they do good, like yesterday.  But that doesn't offset all the bad they usually do.  Batting .200 will still get you a hit 20% of the time, but that doesn't offset the other 80% when it's a non-productive out.  Applaud the 20% when it helps the Os...but can still question if they should get the opportunities over all.  

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

We sure do do it as a team practice.  I'll pass on getting used to it as it's foolish.  

I am starting to think it is a pattern that revolves around respecting the older players.  Giving then much more chances than a Stowers or Vavra or Ortiz.   I dont like it but it might make hiring veterans in the offseason easier.  Because we can point out that we really let the vets have every last possible chance to play.  

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

So you’re claiming *that’s* what made you blind? I figured it happened many years ago.

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

I applaud when they do good, like yesterday.  But that doesn't offset all the bad they usually do.  Batting .200 will still get you a hit 20% of the time, but that doesn't offset the other 80% when it's a non-productive out.  Applaud the 20% when it helps the Os...but can still question if they should get the opportunities over all.  

But if he's hitting .300 vs lefries, isn't THAT  the opportunity he SHOULD get?

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Have you been introduced yet to the concept of matching hitters against pitchers (and vice versa)?

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I don’t think you remember Miller that well. He told many non-baseball stories and Brown could become a Miller.  There will never be another Scully

I remember him just fine. And I grew up listening to Scully. Brown has a good voice for broadcasting, but his cultural reference garbage is annoying.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

MANS's box must be off because that "strike" was outside according to the box.

I'm always skeptical of the TV box strike zones as they're overlayed the way they are. The defined strike zone from the rulebook, ie.

"
The official strike zone is the area over home plate from the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants-  when the batter is in his stance and prepared to swing at a pitched ball -- and a point just below the kneecaps"

is a few inches higher than what I've typically seen on TV sketched in boxes. With that in mind, anytime I see a high strike called, I don't quibble too much. For one thing, the top of the zone is closer to the ump's line of sight. It's the low strikes that are probably more in question as they're called.