Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Westburg ….not happening 

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d be okay ….but, we need to sign him to an extension. I’m not overly protective of Povich after looking at his ERA, HRs, BB/9 the last 2 years. But, Norby is going to be a player for someone. 1.2 seasons is better than 2 months. 

Thanks for posting these.

• Like 1

Fangraphs chimes in with a Cease proposal:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-deals-2023-trade-deadline-edition/

The Baltimore Orioles acquire P Dylan Cease from the Chicago White Sox for INF Jordan Westburg, CF Jud Fabian, SS Joey Ortiz, and P Justin Armbruester

The Orioles have churned out an impressive assortment of hitting prospects the last few years, but the farm system hasn’t been able to come up with starting pitching anywhere near as well. Even assuming that Grayson Rodriguez works out, the Orioles likely need more rotation help and it’s probably going to have to come from outside the organization. That might mean trading away some of their young hitters and watching them succeed elsewhere. The team is contending, but I don’t think the front office is suddenly full of wild gamblers, so I doubt we’ll start seeing names like Coby Mayo or Heston Kjerstad move for short-term rentals.

Dylan Cease, however, is not a short-term rental; the Orioles would get to keep him until the end of the 2025 season. This may be blasphemy to some, but given their respective contract situations, I’d happily give up more for Cease than I would for Ohtani. Westburg’s stock has shot up this year, and with ZiPS seeing him as an above-average starter in the majors right now, the White Sox could reap the benefits of having him on the team very quickly. Since Cease represents significant value, the Pale Hose are going to need to offer more than just Westburg, so I included two interesting offensive prospects in Fabian and Ortiz who could help shore up the organization’s lackluster depth. I also included Armbruester, a little talked-about pitching prospect who probably has a good shot at fitting in the back of the rotation in the not-too-distant future.

The big question is just how available Cease actually is. The White Sox are a mess at the moment, but they’ve given every indication that they think they’ll be contenders in 2024. That might make it difficult to get them to part with Cease without a ridiculously lopsided offer. I don’t think the Orioles would go that far, but it’s certainly worth asking.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The Baltimore Orioles acquire P Dylan Cease from the Chicago White Sox for INF Jordan Westburg, CF Jud Fabian, SS Joey Ortiz, and P Justin Armbruester

The Orioles have churned out an impressive assortment of hitting prospects the last few years, but the farm system hasn’t been able to come up with starting pitching anywhere near as well. Even assuming that Grayson Rodriguez works out, the Orioles likely need more rotation help and it’s probably going to have to come from outside the organization. That might mean trading away some of their young hitters and watching them succeed elsewhere. The team is contending, but I don’t think the front office is suddenly full of wild gamblers, so I doubt we’ll start seeing names like Coby Mayo or Heston Kjerstad move for short-term rentals.

Dylan Cease, however, is not a short-term rental; the Orioles would get to keep him until the end of the 2025 season. This may be blasphemy to some, but given their respective contract situations, I’d happily give up more for Cease than I would for Ohtani. Westburg’s stock has shot up this year, and with ZiPS seeing him as an above-average starter in the majors right now, the White Sox could reap the benefits of having him on the team very quickly. Since Cease represents significant value, the Pale Hose are going to need to offer more than just Westburg, so I included two interesting offensive prospects in Fabian and Ortiz who could help shore up the organization’s lackluster depth. I also included Armbruester, a little talked-about pitching prospect who probably has a good shot at fitting in the back of the rotation in the not-too-distant future.

The big question is just how available Cease actually is. The White Sox are a mess at the moment, but they’ve given every indication that they think they’ll be contenders in 2024. That might make it difficult to get them to part with Cease without a ridiculously lopsided offer. I don’t think the Orioles would go that far, but it’s certainly worth asking.

Man, that's a tough one. I'd rather keep one of Westburg/Ortiz.

Civale is fine, but it’s a little odd that he’s so satisfactory to a board that has been ardently seeking an *ace*, not just another mid-rotation guy. 

On some level, I get it, because at least Civale is under team control for a couple more years — which makes him a more desirable target than a mid-rotation rental, for sure. I’d probably rather do that package for Civale than Jordan Montgomery, for example, for that reason. 

However, I have more than a little concern that we’d be buying at the very apex of value on a guy who’s put up 71 very successful innings this year — but is outpitching all his metrics by over a run and has never been anything more than JAG before this season. It’s a nice shiny ERA, but is there any reason to think it continues to be anything like that? Everything in his profile says you’re acquiring a guy who’s likely to be a high 3s to low 4s ERA pitcher moving forward. 

Acquiring a pitcher like Lorenzon would allow the Orioles to move Tyler Wells back to the pen.  This allows them to manage Wells innings for the rest of the season since already surpassed his career high, gives them a reliever that can pitch in both middle and late innings, and adds a starting pitcher having a solid year.  Now would I like Cease?  Sure, but the cost in prospects will be much higher.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I agree, but I think I'd do it given you're hanging onto all of the tippy top guys. 

Honestly it's tough for me to pick between this & the proposed Civale deal. I have absolutely not even a smidge of certainty but Elias & Sig strike me as the types to find an underperforming, controllable starting pitcher they think they can tweak on the fly for a much cheaper price.

But if there is a team that has the thump to acquire a guy like Cease, it's the O's. 

I'd also try real hard to work a deal for Jordan Hicks. Real, real hard.

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Westburg/Ortiz could be an all star up the middle combination. Dylan Cease is not worth both Westburg and Ortiz. I would do one but not both

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yes, your potentially giving up six years of starting 2b/SS combo+.  I like Cease, but he’s only had one really good season. With that said,  his stuff is great.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’d do that trade all day. Probably gotta swap Povich for Ambruester. It’s tough to give up an entire middle of the field, but I’d do that trade.  We drafted over Fabian and Ortiz the last two drafts.  Mayo can likely play an MLB level 3B for the early part of his career. Also, we’d still have Urias. We underrate him on this board. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I agree, but I think I'd do it given you're hanging onto all of the tippy top guys. 

Honestly it's tough for me to pick between this & the proposed Civale deal. I have absolutely not even a smidge of certainty but Elias & Sig strike me as the types to find an underperforming, controllable starting pitcher they think they can tweak on the fly for a much cheaper price.

But if there is a team that has the thump to acquire a guy like Cease, it's the O's. 

I'd also try real hard to work a deal for Jordan Hicks. Real, real hard.

Generally speaking, if you feel like a trade is too much as a fan, it's probably a fair deal. I'd love Hicks as well.