Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Why? They can rinse and repeat and entertain offers for him next season. And more importantly, maybe he gets to a better start next season. The only way the White Sox were trading Cease this season was if they were overwhelmed, and that was probably the correct approach to take. 

You need to reread what you replied to.

Why? They can rinse and repeat and entertain offers for him next season. And more importantly, maybe he gets to a better start next season. The only way the White Sox were trading Cease this season was if they were overwhelmed, and that was probably the correct approach to take. 

Unless he's badly hurt, he's almost sure to exercise his opt out.  He gone.

27 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That probably is a reference of the CHI SOX asking for Jackson Holliday to be included in a trade for Dylan Cease, which to me equates to the SOX never really being serious about trading Cease. Good luck to them for the next 2 seasons with him. 

Different GM, but they got  Moncoada as part of the Sale deal. Of course Sale was better than Cease.  But Moncoada was I think the #2 prospect in baseball. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Theoretically sure but in real life things don't always work that smoothly.

An extension is also likely cheaper than he would be on the open market.

Evidently you think DET did OK.  I don't.  All reasons have been stated by both of us.  We clearly won't agree.  Comment further if you need to, but I've said all I need to on the matter.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Or maybe they will once again choose not to do so.

Given the track record which do you think is more likely?

I also don't think, for a second, that there is a "very good chance" Flahery is just as good as ERod.  There is a chance sure, but a very good chance?

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (for now) because the trade deadline is not the time to make that type of trade / move. If they go into Spring Training 2024 without having made any improvements to their starting rotation then they'll lose the benefit of the doubt. 

As for E-Rod and Flaherty...

Jack Flaherty's Career ERA/WHIP - 3.58/1.18

Eduardo Rodriguez's Career ERA - 4.05/1.29

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (for now) because the trade deadline is not the time to make that type of trade / move. If they go into Spring Training 2024 without having made any improvements to their starting rotation then they'll lose the benefit of the doubt. 

Players can go from great to out of the game in three years.

I disagree that there is a "very good chance" that Flaherty has as much success over the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Players can go from great to out of the game in three years.

I disagree that there is a "very good chance" that Flaherty has as much success over the rest of the season.

Yet you're placing more emphasis on E-Rod's 2023 season (small sample size) versus his career (large sample size). Saying that Flaherty can pitch to E-Rod's career numbers for a 2 month span really doesn't seem like a very high bar to clear. Hopefully he can do better. 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Word is ERod likes it there and they might be working on an extension.

Interesting.  It’s August 1, and they apparently had a trade worked out with the Dodgers.   That’s plenty of time to work out an extension.   I Guess it’s possible he had a last minute change of heart.   Where did you see the bit about the extension?

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

Yet you're placing more emphasis on E-Rod's 2023 season (small sample size) versus his career (large sample size). Saying that Flaherty can pitch to E-Rod's career numbers for a 2 month span really doesn't seem like a very high bar to clear. Hopefully he can do better. 

I agree that he can.

I don't think he has a very good chance.

I think that's pure wishful thinking on your part.

There is a reason he got a 1yr/5.4M contract this year.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Interesting.  It’s August 1, and they apparently had a trade worked out with the Dodgers.   That’s plenty of time to work out an extension.   I Guess it’s possible he had a last minute change of heart.   Where did you see the bit about the extension?

I think it was r/baseball.  I don't have a link on hand.

10 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's all about health with Flaherty.  At his best, he's extremely good.  So, we'll just have to see if his July (3-1, 3.05 ERA, 26 K, 10 BB) is a trend in the right direction, or not.