A look at July Rookie of the Month candidates

Moose Milligan

Gunnar:  .256/.344/.513 - .857 OPS, 5 homers, 13 RBI, 90 plate appearances

Jung:  .276/.321/.474 - .795 OPS,  3 homers, 12 RBI, 81 plate appearances

Yoshida:  .375/.394/.578 .972 OPS, 2 homers, 11 RBI, 66 plate appearances

It's gonna be hard to not give it to Yoshida even though he's got 24 less plate appearances heading into the final week.

In the overall race for the Rookie of the Year, these last two months are going to be really telling.  Gunnar is up to 2.8 bWAR, Jung has 2.6 and Yoshida is at 1.9.  If this is really going to be a WAR race, Gunnar has a great shot.  If they're going to look at slash lines and OPS+, it's going to be tricky for him.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar:  .256/.344/.513 - .857 OPS, 5 homers, 13 RBI, 90 plate appearances

Jung:  .276/.321/.474 - .795 OPS,  3 homers, 12 RBI, 81 plate appearances

Yoshida:  .375/.394/.578 .972 OPS, 2 homers, 11 RBI, 66 plate appearances

It's gonna be hard to not give it to Yoshida even though he's got 24 less plate appearances heading into the final week.

In the overall race for the Rookie of the Year, these last two months are going to be really telling.  Gunnar is up to 2.8 bWAR, Jung has 2.6 and Yoshida is at 1.9.  If this is really going to be a WAR race, Gunnar has a great shot.  If they're going to look at slash lines and OPS+, it's going to be tricky for him.

Doesn't Triston Casas still qualify as a rookie? If he does, I'd say he pretty much has it locked up for July. 

.348 AVG / 5 HRs / 9 RBIs / 13 Runs / .444 OBP / 1,2777 OPS in 46 ABs

13 minutes ago, Spakman said:

He’s a very cocky player but he’s finally backing up his mouth with his hitting.

Dear god, I made the mistake of looking at his Twitter page. This guy (Casas) and Verdugo could easily star in a remake of Night at the Roxbury. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Spakman said:

He’s a very cocky player but he’s finally backing up his mouth with his hitting.

It's weird, it's like if you give talented guys an opportunity to settle in playing every day, then they often figure things out after a while. I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth around here if he was an O's rookie hitting .133 at the end of April.

1 minute ago, deward said:

It's weird, it's like if you give talented guys an opportunity to settle in playing every day, then they often figure things out after a while. I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth around here if he was an O's rookie hitting .133 at the end of April.

I'm sure that an educated and rational fanbase such as the one we have here would have understood that it's a process and been the epitome of patience.