Two pitch sequences that annoyed me

Frobby

1 minute ago, survivedc said:

You should go watch that hit again, it isn't anything close to what you're describing. It is in a video highlighting Judge's 3 hits on mlb.com.

The expected batting average on the ball was just over .200. I don't need to see it again, I've watched it enough. An average CF makes that play, there would be no heroics involved.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

The expected batting average on the ball was just over .200. I don't need to see it again, I've watched it enough. An average CF makes that play, there would be no heroics involved.

He took 4 steps after the ball landed to get to it. It's not like he was right there. Expected batting average isn't perfect here of course--Cowser was deeper than average, and though the exit velocity wasn't too impressive it was cued off the end of the bat and tailing away. I think you're making way too much out of this play. 

Just now, survivedc said:

He took 4 steps after the ball landed to get to it. It's not like he was right there. Expected batting average isn't perfect here of course--Cowser was deeper than average, and though the exit velocity wasn't too impressive it was cued off the end of the bat and tailing away. I think you're making way too much out of this play. 

Okay.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Watching the 6th inning was so annoying.  First, as I mentioned elsewhere, Judge’s single had plenty of hang time and Cowser just let it plop in front of him.  

Then Rizzo comes up.  Ben McDonald had mentioned on Friday that he likes to dive into pitches down and in, and you need to get into his kitchen.  On a 1-strike pitch, Irvin throws one in there, and Rizzo is completely helpless against it for strike 2, with a very weak swing.  It’s obvious he needs to double up in that spot.  So where’s the next pitch?  Low and away, right where he likes it, and Rizzo strokes it for a single.  

Later in the inning, Baker in, bases loaded, Kiner-Falefa up.  They throw several pitches up and away and it’s clear he has them timed up and is homed in on that spot, as he keeps spoiling them.  The obvious move is to jam him, but instead, after a couple more fouls, they try to sucker him on a 2-2 changeup below the zone that’s too low to be tempting, and with the count now full and Baker afraid of walking in a run, the throws a cripple pitch that’s blasted for a bases-clearing double.  Game over.  

Bottom line, O’s pitchers can’t live on the outside corner all the time.  They need to use both sides of the plate.  And they need to pay attention to what the batter is handling or not.  

It was a horrible pitching performance throughout. I am surprised you were able to single out two sequences you didn't like.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Later in the inning, Baker in, bases loaded, Kiner-Falefa up.  They throw several pitches up and away and it’s clear he has them timed up and is homed in on that spot, as he keeps spoiling them.  The obvious move is to jam him, but instead, after a couple more fouls, they try to sucker him on a 2-2 changeup below the zone that’s too low to be tempting, and with the count now full and Baker afraid of walking in a run, the throws a cripple pitch that’s blasted for a bases-clearing double.  Game over.  

I hated this sequence. I think Adley has his cheatsheet telling him the hitters' weak zones and doesn't stray from it. Of course if we throw a pitch to a hitter's happy area then some fans won't be happy either, but a lot of hitters are able to adjust to the one-dimensional gameplan and Adley is not adjusting back and keeping them honest.

I didn't think Baker's stuff was that bad but 1) he is way too careful on 0-2 pitches and wastes them, and 2) not enough variety in location.

I didn't mind Irvin's approach to Rizzo... he did use both sides of the plate but his command was off. The pitch selection was okay.

I didn't like Tyler Well's approach to Rizzo in the first inning. Another case of sticking with the outside half when Rizzo was crowding the plate.

4 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I hated this sequence. I think Adley has his cheatsheet telling him the hitters' weak zones and doesn't stray from it. Of course if we throw a pitch to a hitter's happy area then some fans won't be happy either, but a lot of hitters are able to adjust to the one-dimensional gameplan and Adley is not adjusting back and keeping them honest.

I didn't think Baker's stuff was that bad but 1) he is way too careful on 0-2 pitches and wastes them, and 2) not enough variety in location.

I didn't mind Irvin's approach to Rizzo... he did use both sides of the plate but his command was off. The pitch selection was okay.

I didn't like Tyler Well's approach to Rizzo in the first inning. Another case of sticking with the outside half when Rizzo was crowding the plate.

With two strikes, hitters are in swing mode. Good pitchers know how to take an advantage of that, but it can be a disadvantage to so-so pitchers.

It has happened several times in the past few weeks where Adley has called for FB up and outside half. It is very frustrating for me as well as it is usually with two strikes. They are wasted pitches, often just flicked away as a foul ball. Most of these sequences have cost us, some home runs. And it doesn’t appear that these were cases of missing the target as Adley set up for these pitches. I have not seen McCann make these kinds of mistakes, but maybe it’s our analytical folks. IDK. 

With Wells, I just think he isn’t healthy. His breaking balls were poor last night. It makes me wonder if it hurts too much. Grayson, Bradish and Kremer are the only starters we have that should start a playoff game at this point. I like what Gibby has given us, but he is not a guy that will match up well in the playoffs. 

Agree that they stick with a plan to the point of overdoing it.  Ben McDonald, who I don’t always agree with, says you have to keep them honest inside.  You can’t continually pitch outside corner to hitters.  Guys like Judge can easily lift a knee high outside corner to RF for a homer.   It’s hard to argue with overall success but someone like Baker just makes a lot of dumb decisions.   He loves his changeup.  I would bet he throws it for a strike about 25% of the time which makes it useless.   He gets ahead of hitters 0-2 with the fastball and then finds himself 3-2 and having to throw a strike.