Did we just begin the most important 48 hour period in franchise history?

Sanfran327

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is this the most over the top hyperbolic post in message board history? Because I can't think of any more hyperbolic posts. Maybe my long term memory just isn't that good?

Message board history?  No of course not.

It could however be the the most over the top hyperbolic post on the OH this season, to date.

Well, either that or the Adam Frazier thread 😅

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I think that there will be a serious cost to not doing anything in terms of alienating a big segment of their potential customer/fanbase. 

Mostly everyone already has suspensions about John Angelos. And the Orioles do not enjoy the best reputation in the community. 

For some people who have put up with a lot of awfulness by this org, to get this close and then decide to pass/punt because of pure cheapness, it may do serious damage to a brand that was still trying to repair itself.

Please. The average fan isn't on orioles hangout. Personally, I hate the trade deadline. Just as I like my family, I like my orioles and don't want to see 3-4 of them sent into oblivion.

Here's the question I have for everyone. Can someone tell me the last 10 years, how often has the world series winner had a key member acquired by trade that was instrumental in them winning it? List the last 10 world series winners and show me what they did at the deadline and how critical it was. I have no idea what the stats are but my gut is it's way overrated.

Andy Miller was good but we would have been a lot better off as a franchise if we had EROD in the rotation for the next 5 years.

If we pass, it may not be because of cheapness. It may be because we are being smart. The mets aren't cheap and they suck. We weren't cheap when we signed chris davis and he sucked.

16 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

Please. The average fan isn't on orioles hangout. Personally, I hate the trade deadline. Just as I like my family, I like my orioles and don't want to see 3-4 of them sent into oblivion.

Here's the question I have for everyone. Can someone tell me the last 10 years, how often has the world series winner had a key member acquired by trade that was instrumental in them winning it? List the last 10 world series winners and show me what they did at the deadline and how critical it was. I have no idea what the stats are but my gut is it's way overrated.

Andy Miller was good but we would have been a lot better off as a franchise if we had EROD in the rotation for the next 5 years.

If we pass, it may not be because of cheapness. It may be because we are being smart. The mets aren't cheap and they suck. We weren't cheap when we signed chris davis and he sucked.

Most of them make moves that fill their weak areas with decent upgrades, some have made big moves, Verlander(Astros)... Cueto/Zobrist(Royals) but yes for the most part the past champs have been established teams and didn't need to go all out at the deadline anyways. Many teams have gone all out at the deadline and failed, obviously it fails more than it works because there can only be one winner. Last year the Astros filled some holes with Mancini/Will Smith... 2021 Braves got a bunch of outfielders to platoon no superstars(remember Acuna was out in 2021) -- In my opinion i think buying at the deadline is foolish for long term success unless your a big market that can make up for not having prospect after prospect coming up at low cost. I prefer the small calculated moves to fill holes over rental superstars. 

5 hours ago, Rojo13 said:

It’s in arguable that we made an extremely poor choice between paying Davis and Machado. We weren’t proactive and thus got pushed into a corner and made the wrong choice. It doesn’t look to me As has any interest in extending young budding stars this go round. So unfortunately we are facing a scenario where we are going to have to maximize a period of time when our best players are all together IMO.

Also, if you look at the last 10 winners of the World Series (the list isn’t hard to find) you will see that none looked like us. As a matter of fact, only had a starting staff comparable to ours (2015 KC Royals). And their bullpen possessed 4 lock down relievers (we have 1 maybe 2 if Cano can get back to his earlier season form). 

It takes an extremely biased/orange tinted perspective to confidently believe that Baker/Baumann/Perez/Coulombe/etc will consistently be able to bridge us to the back end successfully facing the best offenses in the league when we get to the tournament.

IMO whether you acquire the talent before the season or at the deadline is not really that relevant. What matters is that you have the pieces when you get to the playoffs to give yourself a reasonable chance for success. I don’t think that we have that right now.

But ultimately we shall see how it all turns out.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

What is this in response to?

Well the topic about "most important 48 hours", which is about the O's making a trade deal beore the deadline.  The posting is in response to that original posting.  That posting claimed we have to SO something, my response is that the situation at the signing deadline might mean that no good deal is possible and doing no deal is better than a bad deal. ... Please reset your thinking.  People are allow to make comments outside of your circle of friend's discussion and to bring up ideas you haven't thought about.

Edited by 2001OriolesFan
  • Upvote 1

This got me thinking: what WAS the most important 48 hours in franchise history?  A few that come to mind:

- The day the St. Louis Browns announced the team was moving to Baltimore.

- The final 2 days of the 1966, 1970 and 1983 World Seties.

- The final 2 days of the 1971 and 1979 World Series (in a negative way)

- The day the Orioles traded for Frank Robinson

- The days the Orioles signed Brooks Robinson and Jim Palmer

- The 48 hours in which the O’s drafted Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson

- The days on which the O’s drafted Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray

- The 48 hours in which Cal Ripken tied and broke Cal Ripken’s record

- The day on which the O’s fired Hank Bauer and hired Earl Weaver

- The day Peter Angelos bought the Orioles.

All of those dwarf whatever might happen in these 48 hours IMO.   And I’m sure there’s plenty of others.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This got me thinking: what WAS the most important 48 hours in franchise history?  A few that come to mind:

- The day the St. Louis Browns announced the team was moving to Baltimore.

- The final 2 days of the 1966, 1970 and 1983 World Seties.

- The final 2 days of the 1971 and 1979 World Series (in a negative way)

- The day the Orioles traded for Frank Robinson

- The days the Orioles signed Brooks Robinson and Jim Palmer

- The 48 hours in which the O’s drafted Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson

- The days on which the O’s drafted Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray

- The 48 hours in which Cal Ripken tied and broke Cal Ripken’s record

- The day on which the O’s fired Hank Bauer and hired Earl Weaver

- The day Peter Angelos bought the Orioles.

All of those dwarf whatever might happen in these 48 hours IMO.   And I’m sure there’s plenty of others.

Chris Davis contract extension. Instead of extending our window the team implodes, the team fell apart, wasted Manny's prime years, and forced multi-year rebuild.

Bedard trade. I doubt anything this week exceeds that.

Mike Mussina signs with the Yankees. Broke up the 97 team to begin 14 years of losing.

The only one I'd push back on was the Streak. It was a nice.moment but if we make some moves that help us make a deep run I would consider that more significant as I am way more.invested in the team than any individual accomplishments.

Well the obvious answer to your self aware hyperbolic statement is no.

Saying that, I would like to see the team acquire either a starter or impact reliever without giving up a top-8 prospect in the organization. 

Guys like Norby, Vavra, Stowers and Fabian/Wagner/Beavers should have value that could land someone that can help this team's depth. 

This is a big test for Elias. He's never been in this position as the chief decision maker and since he's in 1st place with a team doing well, does he decide to be like Pat Gillick and "stand Pat?"

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well the obvious answer to your self aware hyperbolic statement is no.

Saying that, I would like to see the team acquire either a starter or impact reliever without giving up a top-8 prospect in the organization. 

Guys like Norby, Vavra, Stowers and Fabian/Wagner/Beavers should have value that could land someone that can help this team's depth. 

This is a big test for Elias. He's never been in this position as the chief decision maker and since he's in 1st place with a team doing well, does he decide to be like Pat Gillick and "stand Pat?"

I’ll be shocked if nothing goes down.  There seem to still be multiple sellers.  Tigers and Cardinals plus more.  Elias talks like a man who wants to deal and he might actually be able to choose whose deal he likes better.