Monday, July 31: Orioles finish July in Canada

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Won’t be following that website anymore. I followed 3 straight games and looked the next day and they were so off. Literally pitches that looked 6 inches off plate didn’t register. 

Interesting.  I don’t follow it closely enough to notice. 

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

Cowser has had 47 at bats, Gunnar was hitting 150 with about the same at bats this year.  Adley about 140 at the same time.   We are winning anyway so he isn’t hurting the team.  

This is what seems to be lost in the grumbling. If he gets hot late in the year… that is a huge balance in the scale. We re winning now. Let’s get him adjusted and hot for the stretch run.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

Interesting.  I don’t follow it closely enough to notice. 

I didn’t most of the year. I periodically checked in. But I watched 3-4 full games… I wish I remember which ones they were … the umpire was atrocious for us. I then looked back and it somehow showed worse for the other team in 2 of the 3 games. None of the pitches that looked 6 inches off the plate even showed. I can understand missing 1-2 inches… but there were clear misses. A lot. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, yark14 said:

Running 90ft isn't going to fully deplete Mateo's ATP reserves. Not even close.  The timing of the jump (or lacktherof) made a bigger difference than fatigue.

Yes, full ATP regeneration takes a couple minutes.  But most of the regeneration takes place in the first 30 seconds.  The rest ("top off") takes up the rest of the time. Kind of like when you charge your phone when the battery is empty.  0-80% happens really fast, the topping off occurs slowly.  

80% ATP capacity isn't going to make a difference in an athlete running 90ft.  300ft (100 meters) absolutely.  Just ask any professional running back.

Love nerding out on exercise science.  That is what my degree is in and what I've been doing for 12 years of my career.

You're more of an expert than I. But even taking everything you said as true, the difference between out and safe is milliseconds and is almost entirely dependent on speed. Even if most of the ATP is regenerated within 30 seconds, if he could get another portion back by just waiting one more pitch, I would think that's more than worth it. It's not like other sports where the competition is just as tired as you are; you're just running against the clock/yourself.

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

This is what seems to be lost in the grumbling. If he gets hot late in the year… that is a huge balance in the scale. We re winning now. Let’s get him adjusted and hot for the stretch run.

With Mullins and Hicks out, I'm ok with Cowser getting time now (helps that the team is winning) with no other great options to play CF. Now in the unlikely event the Orioles trade for Cody Bellinger, but I have a better chance at winning Powerball.