Bullpen for the stretch run

RVAOsFan

Baker vs Baumann is the big question for me.

Baker in July didn't have an awful month in terms of his own ERA, but allowed 8 of 10 inherited runners to score, which is why there seems to be such a correlation between his appearances and screaming at the TV set at my house.

Baumann, OTOH, has pitched in some high-leverage situations and despite similar erratic control, has allowed just 6 of his last 20 inherited runners to score since 6/1.

Baumann is a guy I trust more in the all-important runner on 2nd/0 outs situation.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I still think some number of Baumann, Perez, and Baker are in the mix, in that order. For now I think it's pretty much what we have now.

Bautista, Cano, Fuji, Baumann, Coulombe, Perez, Baker, Krehbiel

Pick between Wells and Hall if they are performing well. 

I am not really expecting anything out of Means this year. If he is back, best guess is it would be as a starter. 

Perez is at least most of the eay back.  I was someone who advocated for DFAing him.  He:s probably 3rd most reliable setup guy after Coulombe and Cano.

7 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I was a little confused and frustrated after 6pm today when there wasn’t a trade announced for a good bullpen arm.  There were plenty of relievers who were traded for reasonable asking prices so what happened?

After thinking on it for a bit I think I have made some sense of it. This afternoon it was announced DL Hall was headed back to Norfolk. I think Hall must have shown enough in Florida for the team to view him as the best bullpen option they could add today. When Means and Wells come back we should have some solid options.

So what do you view as our ideal bullpen for the stretch run?

Bautista, Wells, Hall, Cano, Coulombe, Fuji, Means/ a current starter

You think Hall is better than the bullpen arms that were traded?I believe you are impaired from the Orange Koolaid. He has a 1.4 WHP this year and last in the minors. That includes a 5.5 BB per 9. I understand that everyone is blown away by his High K9. But, I don’t think he can be counted on  for anything other than a mop up role.

Bullpen: Bautista, Cano, Fuji, Perez, Coulombe, Baker or Baumann, and Krehbiel. We obviously have room for 1 more if we have a 5 man rotation. I’m guessing that it’s Wells (Swing man). As I mentioned, I’d count on Means for next year and am way more confident in Krehbiel’s ability to throw strikes than Hall.  The Rotation is Bradish, Kremer, Flaherty, Gibson, Rodriguez. Maybe this changes if Wells comes back strong after a 2 week break.

Edited by Roll Tide

Here's my best case scenario for the playoffs. That is if everyone is healthy and performing

Rotation: Bradish, GRod, Gibson, Flaherty

Bullpen: Bautista, Fuji, Cano, Coulombe, Baumann, Hall, Means, Wells, Kremer

You only need 4 starters in the playoffs, which gives 9 relievers. Means, Wells and Kremer will also be available to give some length from the pen if a starter is shaky. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

You think Hall is better than the bullpen arms that were traded?I believe you are impaired from the Orange Koolaid. He has a 1.4 WHP this year and last in the minors. That includes a 5.5 BB per 9. I understand that everyone is blown away by his High K9. But, I don’t think he can be counted on  for anything other than a mop up role.

Bullpen: Bautista, Cano, Fuji, Perez, Coulombe, Baker or Baumann, and Krehbiel. We obviously have room for 1 more if we have a 5 man rotation. I’m guessing that it’s Wells (Swing man). As I mentioned, I’d count on Means for next year and am way more confident in Krehbiel’s ability to throw strikes than Hall.  The Rotation is Bradish, Kremer, Flaherty, Gibson, Rodriguez. Maybe this changes if Wells comes back strong after a 2 week break.

I don’t think any of Halls numbers from earlier this year should be considered relevant at this point. He was clearly not himself and spent a considerable amount of time in Florida getting his strength back and working with the staff down there. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do at Norfolk. If he is right I don’t think there is any reason he can’t replicate what he did in the pen for us at the end of last year. 

12 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Here's my best case scenario for the playoffs. That is if everyone is healthy and performing

You only need 4 starters in the playoffs, which gives 9 relievers. Means, Wells and Kremer will also be available to give some length from the pen if a starter is shaky. 

I’m gonna say best case Means is in the rotation but who knows how he will look when he comes back. 

6 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Baker vs Baumann is the big question for me.

Baker in July didn't have an awful month in terms of his own ERA, but allowed 8 of 10 inherited runners to score, which is why there seems to be such a correlation between his appearances and screaming at the TV set at my house.

Baumann, OTOH, has pitched in some high-leverage situations and despite similar erratic control, has allowed just 6 of his last 20 inherited runners to score since 6/1.

Baumann is a guy I trust more in the all-important runner on 2nd/0 outs situation.

At this moment, I’d agree. But that’s just as likely to change over the next few weeks. Overall, they’re both mediocre middle RP with some potential for more. 

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I’m gonna say best case Means is in the rotation but who knows how he will look when he comes back. 

It would be great for sure, but I'm skeptical that he is going to be ready to provide consistent length in the rotation.

17 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

This looks good, assuming best case scenario of course.  Might flip Flaherty and Gibson for games 3/4.

Again assuming best case scenario, that's a good staff.  That means GRod is up to standards, Gibson is getting his double plays, Flaherty is his best self, Fuji is maintaining his second half pace, Cano and Wells are not tired, and Means is back to 100%.  Not likely all these things happen; hopefully most of them do.

12 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don’t think any of Halls numbers from earlier this year should be considered relevant at this point. He was clearly not himself and spent a considerable amount of time in Florida getting his strength back and working with the staff down there. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do at Norfolk. If he is right I don’t think there is any reason he can’t replicate what he did in the pen for us at the end of last year. 

I don’t care either … the numbers I quoted were his AAA numbers. Even last year, high ERA, way too many pitches, struggles to go five innings. High walk rates 5+ per 9. He hasn’t proven he can do it in the minors the last few years. He struck out a ton of guys granted. So you put him in the pen, that will be a high wire act as well. 

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't remember him being all that good in '22 either. Not a disaster but not someone better than we have in Coulombe/Fuji.