Bullpen for the stretch run

RVAOsFan

Before the Toronto series, our last 14 wins were from the bullpen. 

That’s unusual. However, with the Wall, and how good we are, we’re going to play a lot of close games. We also started the season out unexpectedly really good.  We also narrowly missed the playoffs last year. So I don’t think we’ve wanted to give away any games. 

My prediction is that we grind through August, then the extra pitcher we can carry in September will help us. 

Next year, I see Elias remaking the pen a little bit so that we have more guys with options. Carrying Perez all year has been hard. 

GRod is a big ? here.

What role does he play? How many innings are they ok with?

I think it’s definite, barring injury,  that Bautista, Cano, Wells and Coloumbe are in the pen.

Fuji will be too but his ability to throw strikes will determine how big of a part he plays and if he’s on the playoff roster.

That leaves 3 spots…is Grayson out there? What does Hall look like? Is Perez, who is throwing it better, getting back to 2022 Perez? 

Baumann will likely keep a spot. Baker has options and he’s been in inconsistent, so nothing is promised to him.

Means could be either in the rotation or used as a long man. Either way, he factors into this if he’s healthy.

Dont overlook McDermott. As soon as he was called up, I said to watch out for him as a member of the pen coming Down the stretch and you can probably say the same thing about Povich.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

The bullpen tends not be a problem when the O's score 13 runs.

Well yeah, but we mostly play close games.  We played 26 games in July and 8 were decided by one run.  

We have several options for which way to go and the Flaherty acquisition improves our flexibility.  

• Upvote 1

The Orioles aren’t going to shut any of their pitchers down, but it’s impossible to know now which starters end up in the rotation vs the bullpen in a playoff series. I don’t think the Orioles know themselves and they are going to take things as they come. I believe Elias when he says they are not going to adhere to a strict IP cap because the analytics don’t support that, but they will adapt as they go using common sense and the metrics available to them. 

Bradish, Kremer or Grayson could fall off like Wells. Grayson is certainly at the highest risk of that happening and/or the Orioles just being more cautious with him, plus him profiling as a dominant RP. Gibson and Flaherty might not pitch well enough to deserve a playoff start. Means could come back and get stretched out enough for 4 IP starts, which works just fine in September/playoffs with the extra pen arm(s).  Irvin or Povich or even Hall/McDermott could be needed as SP or openers. 

No way of predicting how it shakes out right now. They are going to roll with their current starting 5 until they need to adapt. But the addition of Flaherty certainly gives them more insurance and flexibility. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well yeah, but we mostly play close games.  We played 26 games in July and 8 were decided by one run.  

We have several options for which way to go and the Flaherty acquisition improves our flexibility.  

We're 45-34 against teams over .500.  By far we have the best record in MLB there.  There's only a handful of teams even over .500.  Meaning that we're playing a lot of good teams, winning, and we have the wall.  We're going to play a ton of close games.  

We'll make it to 9/1.  Then we'll get to add an extra arm in the pen.  

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Givens and Akin starting their rehab assignments for what it is worth. Not sure what either will bring to the table if and when they  get called up.

No update on Means yet but hoping around the middle of September for the majors.. That gives him maybe four or so starts or a few bullpen games. 

Apparently Hyde was on MLB radio today and said that he is about to start rehabbing and they hope for Sept 1.

• Upvote 1