Jordan Westburg 2023

interloper

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Ever since the summer of last season I started paying attention to him in AAA. And in that time I knew he had some excellent power thanks to a few games where he hit 2 home runs inside those games. (Which reminded me of how often Mark McGuire used to do that.) That and his consistency was enough to make me a fan of his and get me excited about his impending arrival.

I think he's at least a 25+ home run guy. With potential to join the 30/30 Club.

Now that he's here, I am pleasantly surprised to see how excellent of a fielder he is and how fast of a runner he is on top of that.

I think he could become one of our cornerstone pieces for a World Series team. Coincidentally, during his 1st game in the Big Leagues during his Major League debut, I was watching him on the TV and I got daydreaming visions of him hoisting a World Series trophy in an Orioles uniform.

Maybe that sounds like Hyporbole to some, but I believe it.

I really really like this guy!

30/30 as in 30 home runs and 30 stolen bases? 

Man! You are really high (like sky high) on Jordan Westburg! That’s superstar stuff. 

If you believe that about Westburg, what do you project for Gunnar?

8 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

He's more talented than both Frazier and Urias. Hope he starts playing every day soon. Platooning Westburg is bad management by both Elias and Hyde. But they've gotten away with it because this team is so talented.

DFA Mateo already, and start getting Westburg in the lineup as much as possible.

Mateo’s ABs are not effecting/limiting Westburg’s. It’s Urias, who is not as good of a hitter but a better fielder.

29 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Man! You are really high (like sky high) on Jordan Westburg! That’s superstar stuff. 

Does Westburg has really good eyesight? 

Glad to see Jordan flashing his power in game at the ML level. I was looking at that 2020 draft, we got Kjerstad and Westburg in the first round and checked Torklesons' numbers as a 1:1, and man, I'd be teetering as a Tigers fan about that pick. He's young, but with 407 ABs this season to an OPS+ of 93 and a -.3 WAR and a -1.4 combined over the past two seasons I don't know if that was the right choice for the Tigers to build their team around.

6 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Doubtful that Westburg ever runs enough to steal 30 bases and probably not even 20.   As for the power,  he had 18 homers in 67 games at AAA this year so 30 over a full 140-150 games seems realistic.  He can go deep to any part of the park and even though Waltimore will rob him of some, he’ll get some cheapies to RF and RCF and still be able to clear the deepest sections in LF.  

55 minutes ago, Malike said:

Glad to see Jordan flashing his power in game at the ML level. I was looking at that 2020 draft, we got Kjerstad and Westburg in the first round and checked Torklesons' numbers as a 1:1, and man, I'd be teetering as a Tigers fan about that pick. He's young, but with 407 ABs this season to an OPS+ of 93 and a -.3 WAR and a -1.4 combined over the past two seasons I don't know if that was the right choice for the Tigers to build their team around.

He’s been extremely disappointing, but I wouldn’t dismiss him just yet. He’s still only 23.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s been extremely disappointing, but I wouldn’t dismiss him just yet. He’s still only 23.   

Agreed, he was terrible in April but has been a bit better since.  His issue is he provides negative defensive value so he is going to have to really turn into a .900+ OPS guy to be particularly valuable. 

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Doubtful that Westburg ever runs enough to steal 30 bases and probably not even 20.   As for the power,  he had 18 homers in 67 games at AAA this year so 30 over a full 140-150 games seems realistic.  He can go deep to any part of the park and even though Waltimore will rob him of some, he’ll get some cheapies to RF and RCF and still be able to clear the deepest sections in LF.  

I did say "potential". Perhaps a 20/20 is more realistic?

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Definitely not writing him off just yet, but he's been a horrendous defender and for a 1:1 out of college, just has some concerning things going on.

15 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Agreed, he was terrible in April but has been a bit better since.  His issue is he provides negative defensive value so he is going to have to really turn into a .900+ OPS guy to be particularly valuable. 

Yeah, that’s fair.  Nobody from that class has really emerged as a big star yet.  Westburg is 5th in rWAR among the first-rounders at 0.9 rWAR.

I wanted to see who else the Tigers might have drafted instead of Torkelson. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Major_League_Baseball_draft

It looks like the only All Stars so far from that draft were Spencer Strider (P) at #126 (Braves) and Bryce Elder (P) at #156 (Braves). Pretty good results for Atlanta for 4th and 5th round picks.