Colton Cowser 2023

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Cowser's got a cannon.  Top throwing velocity is 99.5.

But every is convinced that he’s a turrible outfielder 🙄

He walked again tonight in addition to the single. He’s hitting .125 but his .286 OBP is higher than Jorge’s and is less than 25 points less than McKenna’s (.303) and Mounty’s (.308) and less than 40 points less than Ramon’s (.323). 

9 minutes ago, banks703 said:

But every is convinced that he’s a turrible outfielder 🙄

He walked again tonight in addition to the single. He’s hitting .125 but his .286 OBP is higher than Jorge’s and is less than 25 points less than McKenna’s (.303) and Mounty’s (.308) and less than 40 points less than Ramon’s (.323). 

A little (more like a lot) concerned that his terrible jumps and average sprint speed aren't playing well in the outfield.   He certainly doesn't have the range for center, and I worry about left as well because it's so spacious in OPACY.  Range is usually a bigger concern for outfield defense anyway.  He's probably fine, maybe slightly above average, in either corner, but he definitely doesn't seem like he can play CF adequately, and IMO he needs to be able to if we're going to justify carrying his scuffling bat in a playoff race.

6 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Cowser did have a bad hammy injury this year and those tend to linger even after players come back from them. Possibly he’s only recently started to feel better with the more off days?

I mentioned this earlier today. It was the quad though not the hammy. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think Cowser is a natural CF, but he sure looked comfortable in LF tonight. Forward thinking has me wondering what the long term plan is. LF is also Kjerstad's most experienced position. Right field requires less range than LF, but also a stronger arm to gun down runners trying to go from 1st to 3rd.

Excellent all-around game for Cowser.  The assist at 2B was excellent, as was the throw he made to 3B after catching the line drive in deep LF.  Those are the best two throws I’ve seen from him.   

I have not noticed him looking overly tense at any point.  He’s a relaxed guy and I’m sure he’s a lot of fun in the clubhouse.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

Excellent all-around game for Cowser.  The assist at 2B was excellent, as was the throw he made to 3B after catching the line drive in deep LF.  Those are the best two throws I’ve seen from him.   

I have not noticed him looking overly tense at any point.  He’s a relaxed guy and I’m sure he’s a lot of fun in the clubhouse.  

Did you see his interview with Gunnar, Adley, and Jordan Westburg while they were sitting in the stands at Oriole Park before the game? It was quite clear he was the jokester of the bunch and said he tries to keep it loose.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Did you see his interview with Gunnar, Adley, and Jordan Westburg while they were sitting in the stands at Oriole Park before the game? It was quite clear he was the jokester of the bunch and said he tries to keep it loose.

Cowser is the Jokester, I mean.

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

BaseballSavant has Cowser 99th percentile in arm strength with a 99.7 mph throw  

And yet, I’ve seen him make two really poor throws because he didn’t put himself into position to get his momentum going in the right direction.  So, having a strong arm and making good throws are not necessarily the same thing.  

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And yet, I’ve seen him make two really poor throws because he didn’t put himself into position to get his momentum going in the right direction.  So, having a strong arm and making good throws are not necessarily the same thing.  

Poor how? Genuinely asking because I don't remember every one.

My impression is that he normally throws it on target even if it's low/skips. But if the OF velo is there, a bounce isn't the end of the world, infielders are used to making picks.