What do you think Ohtani gets next year?

Gurgi

With being a Unicorn it seems very hard to set a contract number for Ohtani.  I heard some people suggesting 700 million.  I personally can not see it.  I think I am more scared of an injury ruining the whole thing.  I guess some club is going to break the bank on him this off season.  

What do you think he gets?  10 years 500 million?  10 year 700 million?

What clubs can even afford that?  Maybe the LA teams.  The NY teams.  SF?  I know Seattle is interested.  

500+ million.

250 million for a great hitter, 250 million for a great pitcher.  Roll it all up into one.

Certainly there's concern with what would happen if he were to get hurt but he looks like he takes great care of himself.  He's a once in a lifetime player...only guy like that in baseball history.  He might spark off a two-way player revolution of sorts but it'll probably be awhile before we see anyone do it as good or better.  

Someone will give him that money and not have to think very hard to do it.  I bet there are teams that have been waiting 2+ years to figure out how to afford him and get themselves in a position to do so.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

500+ million.

250 million for a great hitter, 250 million for a great pitcher.  Roll it all up into one.

Certainly there's concern with what would happen if he were to get hurt but he looks like he takes great care of himself.  He's a once in a lifetime player...only guy like that in baseball history.  He might spark off a two-way player revolution of sorts but it'll probably be awhile before we see anyone do it as good or better.  

Someone will give him that money and not have to think very hard to do it.  I bet there are teams that have been waiting 2+ years to figure out how to afford him and get themselves in a position to do so.

Pretty stupid thinking if you ask me.  If anyone has proven that one superstar doesn’t make a great team, it’s Ohtani.  In fact, he’s proved that two superstars (him and Trout) don’t make a great team.  Bottom line, it’s a bad idea to wrap up 25% of your payroll for a decade into one player.   Now if you’re one of the 3-4 teams where $50 mm isn’t 25% of your payroll, maybe it’s okay.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Pretty stupid thinking if you ask me.  If anyone has proven that one superstar doesn’t make a great team, it’s Ohtani.  In fact, he’s proved that two superstars (him and Trout) don’t make a great team.  Bottom line, it’s a bad idea to wrap up 25% of your payroll for a decade into one player.   Now if you’re one of the 3-4 teams where $50 mm isn’t 25% of your payroll, maybe it’s okay.  

No one asked you. 😉

I think he’s going to get $600M. Teams gave out a few stupid 13 year contracts to players at or near 40 last offseason (Trea Turner, Bogaerts) and someone will do the same for Ohtani. 13/600 is about $46m per. Someone will do it. 

This assumes he goes max contract. It’s possible he takes less as someone above points out. But that doesn’t seem to happen very often (as far as we can know) so we’ll see. As OP noted he’s a true unicorn. 

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

I think he’s going to get $600M. Teams gave out a few stupid 13 year contracts to players at or near 40 last offseason (Trea Turner, Bogaerts) and someone will do the same for Ohtani. 13/600 is about $46m per. Someone will do it. 

This assumes he goes max contract. It’s possible he takes less as someone above points out. But that doesn’t seem to happen very often (as far as we can know) so we’ll see. As OP noted he’s a true unicorn. 

Edit: at or near 30 is of course what I meant. Not 40. 

I know he's a superstar, but I really don't think he gets much past $400mm over 10 years, maybe with some club options tacked on that in writing make it $500mm overall if they pick them up. I just really can't see it. The Mets and Padres are watching their teams full of superstars burn down, and Steve Cohen was probably the best shot at $500+ and he might be once-bitten, twice shy at this point. Shohei may be a year late to the paycheck party. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, Gurgi said:

With being a Unicorn it seems very hard to set a contract number for Ohtani.  I heard some people suggesting 700 million.  I personally can not see it.  I think I am more scared of an injury ruining the whole thing.  I guess some club is going to break the bank on him this off season.  

What do you think he gets?  10 years 500 million?  10 year 700 million?

What clubs can even afford that?  Maybe the LA teams.  The NY teams.  SF?  I know Seattle is interested.  

$700 mil ended up being right on the money. 

• Like 1