Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

This topic clearly has some people hot under the collar, and I am a fan of Kevin Brown's work, but....isn't this the type of drama that we would use when we were 30 games out of the pennant race in August back in the day, just to keep things interesting?  This is not a major issue in the grand scheme of things, and certainly isn't in any way keeping me from enjoying our team.  On my FC feed its post after post from Hangout members saying we should boycott and start chants and on and on.  For what purpose?  Do you think Angelos cares?  Nope.  Do you think anything would change?  Nope.  Could it possibly be a distraction for our team wondering why people are cheering against their boss rather than FOR them?  Yup.  

My two cents...let it go and root on the Birds.  

You don't think the Orioles acting-Owner behaving in this manner is an area of major concern to fans of the team? I don't think anyone here is deluded into thinking our actions or voices can bring meaningful change, we're just discussing how much it sucks and what it means for the O's. All of us here are perfectly capable of doing two things at one time... cheering for the team and being vehemently opposed to the ownership group.

It's actually pretty common in sports.

1 hour ago, Low Country Bird said:

Well, JA did hire Elias and likely approve the hiring of Hyde.  And it appears he has mostly stayed out of Elias's way and let him and Sig do their thing.  He also (and long overdue) authorized us to have a presence in Latin America, which should pay huge dividends in the next few years.   So while this KB story is certainly ridiculous and makes him look like a petulant child, it's not as if he hasn't done numerous good things during his brief tenure.  

All tha this true but it it too much to ask that the owner of your favorite team not be a douchebag and a national public disgrace?  Is that too much?  Can we not have an owner suspend a guy for telling the truth all while letting his drunk ass wife take a selfie on a live broadcast with the guys who are giving us the telecast?   

Why cant we a quietly respectful and competent owner?  

16 minutes ago, LA2 said:

My guess is that the direct effect will be minor. I haven't seen signs of their being a particularly close relationship or rapport between KB and the players & Hyde and most of the players and Brown haven't been around long enough to have built such up. Managers and coaches are much closer to players than a kid announcer is and so many times a team do will do just as well or even better after a well-liked manager or coach is canned (or a team leader-type of player like Mancini last year is traded).

Agree, but its another black eye for ownership. If you are a player, coach, or front office staff member, you have to think, money being equal pick someone other than the Orioles. Ownership continues to set themselves up to have to overpay for talent. Why would you work for this organization if the money is close to the same someplace else? 

59 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Thanks for sharing your insights here, Roy. One question on the bolded, though. I get that you're confirming it is indeed about the comments regarding the series in Tampa, but is there anything else re: the logical chain on how that's suspension-worthy (or any sort of action, to frank) from JA's perspective? What about that completely innocuous seeming segment was at issue?

This is my guess.   Keep in mind that I am NOT defending the ridiculous move by Angelos or his thin skin.   I am just looking, like we all are, with a microscope to try to see what could possibly have annoyed Angelos in the seemingly innocuous broadcast clip.

But if I were to guess what he objected to, it would be the sarcastic little comment where Kevin said  "yeah it's been a minute" referring to 2016 or 2017 or whenever we last won a series there.

Once again I say don't shoot the messenger.   I think Angelos' thin-skinned reaction is ridiculous and over the top just like everyone else here.   But I'm just pointing out that the [slight] use of sarcasm to make fun of how bad the Orioles were is probably what pushed Johnny A over the edge.   It's one thing to acknowledge how bad the team is, but when you get [slightly] snarky/sarcastic it could come off as making fun of how bad the team was rather than just reporting it.

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

You don't think the Orioles acting-Owner behaving in this manner is an area of major concern to fans of the team? I don't think anyone here is deluded into thinking our actions or voices can bring meaningful change, we're just discussing how much it sucks and what it means for the O's. All of us here are perfectly capable of doing two things at one time... cheering for the team and being vehemently opposed to the ownership group.

I'm gonna go the back in my day route, but in this case its kinda true.  For 20 years I was a very active member on here, and all we had were losing teams.  So naturally the conversations were geared towards negativity, complaining, and Angelos bashing.  Not that there is anything wrong with any of that, but I guess now that I'm older and we have an actual winning team to discuss, my concerns are more geared towards the on field product and not what the terrible ownership group is doing behind the scenes.  Its just not worth my energy to wonder why John Angelos would give any feeling whatsoever to what Brown said, much less suspend him for it.  But hey, to each their own.  I'm just tired of hearing about it and seeing every "news" story in my feed being a different complaint about the same thing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

This is my guess.   Keep in mind that I am NOT defending the ridiculous move by Angelos or his thin skin.   I am just looking, like we all are, with a microscope to try to see what could possibly have annoyed Angelos in the seemingly innocuous broadcast clip.

But if I were to guess what he objected to, it would be the sarcastic little comment where Kevin said  "yeah it's been a minute" referring to 2016 or 2017 or whenever we last won a series there.

Once again I say don't shoot the messenger.   I think Angelos' thin-skinned reaction is ridiculous and over the top just like everyone else here.   But I'm just pointing out that the [slight] use of sarcasm to make fun of how bad the Orioles were is probably what pushed Johnny A over the edge.   It's one thing to acknowledge how bad the team is, but when you get [slightly] snarky/sarcastic it could come off as making fun of how bad the team was rather than just reporting it.

"It's been a minute" isn't snarky or sarcastic in any way. Just another way of saying it's been a while. If Angelos really took offense to that, he's seriously unstable.

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

I'm gonna go the back in my day route, but in this case its kinda true.  For 20 years I was a very active member on here, and all we had were losing teams.  So naturally the conversations were geared towards negativity, complaining, and Angelos bashing.  Not that there is anything wrong with any of that, but I guess now that I'm older and we have an actual winning team to discuss, my concerns are more geared towards the on field product and not what the terrible ownership group is doing behind the scenes.  Its just not worth my energy to wonder why John Angelos would give any feeling whatsoever to what Brown said, much less suspend him for it.  But hey, to each their own.  I'm just tired of hearing about it and seeing every "news" story in my feed being a different complaint about the same thing.

It's fine if you don't want to spend energy on it, but that doesn't mean it's unimportant. When the top of your org is a poop-show comedy of errors, you it's generally hard to attract and retain talent. There are lots of examples of this playing out over the course of O's ownership, including examples that impact the on-field product (GM and Manager hirings).

For instance, it's reasonable to wonder if Elias is annoyed with ownership to the point of immediately bailing whenever his contract is up. We seem to have struck gold that the O's hired him and gave him room to operate, but Mike's stock has never been higher now that he's effectively turned the O's around 180 degrees, and he could go work anywhere he wants now once his time is up. I strongly disagree that it's not worth discussing or worrying about.

Nestor Aparicio just totally dropped the bomb on John Angelos in this post:

https://baltimorepositive.com/dear-john-angelos-youre-a-civic-disgrace-just-like-your-father-now-sign-the-lease/

I had my run-ins with Nestor many years ago, but this well-written piece gives a lot of history of how this petty family has treated people across the board. And yes, I do find it ironic that this was posted on a site called Baltimorepositive.com. :D

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Agree, but its another black eye for ownership. If you are a player, coach, or front office staff member, you have to think, money being equal pick someone other than the Orioles. Ownership continues to set themselves up to have to overpay for talent. Why would you work for this organization if the money is close to the same someplace else? 

Ok, but that's all a long way off. Let's see what happens if the O's go deep into the post-season. I remember even PA himself coming down into the clubhouse after the 2012 run and committing to team continuity and ample funding.

14 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I think this whole thing is stupid.  I think JA is wrong, I think KB is being punished unfairly.  And he seems like a good, humble guy.  I am sure he is embarrassed by all of this.

I also don't think this is that huge of a deal.  I'm a Redskins/WFT/Commies fan.  We just got rid of Dan Snyder...and there's nothing that JA has done that compares to what Dan Snyder did over the years.  When JA starts suing his own season-ticket holders, call me.  This is tiddlywinks in comparison.

That said, I agree....we can love the team, hate the owner.  

• Upvote 2