Last night's MASN broadcast was downright embarrassing

interloper

9 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Also, can someone give me some background on La Canfora. I’d never heard of him before the O’s hired him. What did he do to draw the ire of everyone? 

Just a sports talk blowhard. Completely unnecessary to have him in the booth with ALL THREE of Geoff, Jim, and Mike. Adds nothing but some extra boot-licking. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t dislike Devo as a broadcaster. My issue is that his voice is so soft for some reason, at least to my ears. They need to turn his microphone up, it’s hard to hear him. 

I’d rather listen to him than Bordick. 

JLC is annoying and I’m pretty sure he’s not in the broadcast booth last night without the KB drama. He only existed last night to try and remind everyone how good the Orioles are and to ignore the large elephant in the room. 

It sounded like Palmer was agitated most of the 6 innings I had a chance to watch. I don't expect him back next season unless he does actually need the job. I know he has a special needs son and that may have him in a position where he has to still work, but he really seemed different last night.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t dislike Devo as a broadcaster. My issue is that his voice is so soft for some reason, at least to my ears. They need to turn his microphone up, it’s hard to hear him. 

JLC is annoying and I’m pretty sure he’s not in the broadcast booth last night without the KB drama. He only existed last night to try and remind everyone how good the Orioles are and to ignore the large elephant in the room. 

So how big is the Seattle TV booth? Might need like 20 people in the booth if Kevin Brown really comes back. Maybe MASN mikes up every player and coach on and off the field.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

I turned it on MLB.tv and when I saw Mike Devereaux was in the booth I switched over to TBS. Greg Olson was outstanding in the booth earlier this year and they think Mike Devereaux is a better option. It's nuts.

Olson is scheduled to be back as the 3rd man in the booth from August 28 thru August 30.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This whole Kevin Brown situation may explain why Bordick was such a corporate tool and completely impersonal.

I'm not sure what the push is for Brian Roberts, Brad Brach, and Devo. Maybe they're all warming to the mic, but all three are timid, soft spoken and generally not interesting.

We've been spoiled by decades of Jim Palmer, who is a treasure, and Ben McDonald who is a legit rising supernova. The Orioles will be lucky if he sticks around as long as Palmer has.

JLC is annoying. Comes across as a cocky know it all.

Honestly, I thought the broadcast was fine.  Brown doesn’t do 100% of the games, and when he doesn’t do them, Arnold is a decent back-up.  I’m not a huge fan of a three man booth, and though I loved Devo as a player, he’s not very good at this and Palmer kind of had to force feed him with leading questions.  Brach is much more engaging.  La Conforta (or wherever his name is) was only in the booth a short while and didn’t bother me.  I thought it was pretty funny when they started comparing the crowd in the both to when Palmer was in The Naked Gun.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I thought the broadcast was fine.  Brown doesn’t do 100% of the games, and when he doesn’t do them, Arnold is a decent back-up.  I’m not a huge fan of a three man booth, and though I loved Devo as a player, he’s not very good at this and Palmer kind of had to force feed him with leading questions.  Brach is much more engaging.  La Conforta (or wherever his name is) was only in the booth a short while and didn’t bother me.  I thought it was pretty funny when they started comparing the crowd in the both to when Palmer was in The Naked Gun.  

How soon will one of them be suspended for making the Naked Gun joke??

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It sounded like Palmer was agitated most of the 6 innings I had a chance to watch. I don't expect him back next season unless he does actually need the job. I know he has a special needs son and that may have him in a position where he has to still work, but he really seemed different last night.

I didn't get agitation, but I did notice in the postgame he made an awkward reference to 2019, immediately caught himself, then walked it back. I had to think he had the KB situation in the back of his head at that moment. If Palmer retires from broadcasting that will be a sad day. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I have a feeling JA is going to be a little shy with the suspensions for a while.  

But you're looking at it from the perspective of a logical, empathetic, intelligent human being.  JA is none of those...