Hicks and Mullins back this week…what happens with the roster?

Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't think it's going to be as easy as it sounds. His last PA's were August 5th. He's not better than Mullins/Hays/Santander/Hicks, I doubt they DH him, I just don't see where the ABs are going to come from. He's had 7 PA's the entire month of August so far, if this is how they are going to use him he needs to be in AAA playing every day both at the plate and in the field.

He’s better than Hicks and Hays isn’t hitting at all, so giving him some time off is perfectly fine.

They may also want to give Mullins some days off to keep the groin rested.

I do agree if they are going to continue to use him as stupidly as they are that they should send him down.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s better than Hicks and Hays isn’t hitting at all, so giving him some time off is perfectly fine.

I do agree if they are going to continue to use him as stupidly as they are that they should send him down.

He certainly may be better than Hicks in the future, but I have infinitely more trust in a good AB from Hicks than I do Cowser at this point in both of their careers.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

They aren't getting rid of Irvin or Baumann, I'd say almost 0 chance on Irvin and absolutely no chance on Baumann going down. Webb will be given a real chance to fail and Perez has been coming around a bit.

I agree, although both Cano and Baumann have had heavy workloads this season and I could see them considering a Wells/Baker AA stint to give them some rest. But I don’t think that will be seriously considered unless their performance declines like with Wells & Baker (or for Cano, declines further than it has…). 

Irvin they won’t send down because they would need somebody in pen who can provide length anyway. 

I’m not sure they will give Webb a chance to fail. They could have just scooped him off waivers because they like his arm, and why not when it just means sending down Krehbiel. It’s a different equation if they’re facing a harder call for roster space. 

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

He certainly may be better than Hicks in the future, but I have infinitely more trust in a good AB from Hicks than I do Cowser at this point in both of their careers.

Hicks May be the guy you take in a pinch hitting role or a single key at bat, ala Frazier, but not everyday.

Hicks is 15 for his last 78. He had a sub 640 OPs in July and ended June 2-21.  He was still getting some walks but overall, since he came here and was hot, he hasn’t hit well at all.  He also isn’t a good CFer anymore.

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I agree, although both Cano and Baumann have had heavy workloads this season and I could see them considering a Wells/Baker AA stint to give them some rest. But I don’t think that will be seriously considered unless their performance declines like with Wells & Baker (or for Cano, declines further than it has…). 

Irvin they won’t send down because they would need somebody in pen who can provide length anyway. 

I’m not sure they will give Webb a chance to fail. They could have just scooped him off waivers because they like his arm, and why not when it just means sending down Krehbiel. It’s a different equation if they’re facing a harder call for roster space. 

Yeah, Webb has no options so I think they are going to give him enough time to either sink or swim. We'll see how it plays out, they are fishing right now to salvage the pen.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hicks is also better against LHP than RHP on his career, on his career and even moreso this season (130 v 85 wRC+). Hicks should be in the lineup against LHP but not in the lineup at all vs RHP, regardless of whether Cowser is around. 

So Cowser would need to take starts against RHP away from Hays or Mountcastle, plus however many off days for Santander/Mullins. I’d like to see that, particularly with Hays, but I don’t think the Orioles will do that with Mountcastle hitting so well lately. They could make it work but I don’t see them DFA’ing Mateo or going short a pitcher to make it happen.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do too..I just think it’s a foolish decision.

🤷‍♂️ if he’d played as well as Westburg, the decision would be easy.  I do think that with another 100 PA at pretty regular intervals his numbers would swing around, but the O’s probably will go with the sure, mediocre thing in Hicks for now.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

Why would you want to lose a player just so Cowser gets a handful of at bats before September 1? 

Well, I think Mateo needs to go anyway, so losing him(we will be able to trade him) means nothing to me.

And Cowser should be getting significant at bats. I agree if they are going to continue to be idiotic with his playing time that he should go down to play everyday but they shouldn’t be doing that.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hicks May be the guy you take in a pinch hitting role or a single key at bat, ala Frazier, but not everyday.

Hicks is 15 for his last 78. He had a sub 640 OPs in July and ended June 2-21.  He was still getting some walks but overall, since he came here and was hot, he hasn’t hit well at all.  He also isn’t a good CFer anymore.

I'd rather see Cowser playing the majority of the time, but I'm also in the minority in thinking the O's are not going to win the world series this year and I'd rather get Cowser the time he needs to show he's going to be a real piece next season. I'm not concerned about the wins/losses.

Cowser had a nice Cup of Coffee but unless he miraculously goes on a hot streak tonight and tomorrow,  he's going back to school in Norfolk once Mullins comes back. 

Of course, this can change under one other (unlikely) condition: That Mateo gets DFA.

The answer is: You're swapping 2 outfielders for 2 outfielders. McKenna and Cowser for Mullins and Hicks.