Matthew Etzel 2023

ShoelesJoe

• 2 months later...

So, there is a lot of talk about our current CF and our possible future CF.   Bradfield is the logical heir.  Jud Fabian could lay claim if he can improve his rate of contact.  However, let’s take a look at Etzel.  He didn’t steal 25 bases in 27 games like Bradfield.  He only stole 21 in 30 games (3 CS).   What he also showed was a little pop, speed, and strong plate discipline numbers with good contact rates.  Bradfield got most of the CF time but Etzel did play there and can play there according to reports.   A .966 OPS overall.  He is slated to start at Aberdeen and although he’s not a 13th rounder like Cedric he’s definitely in the area where you’re surprised to get someone who looks like a legit prospect.   I’m rooting for Bradfield but so far Etzel looks pretty good too.

https://www.milb.com/player/matthew-etzel-803033

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Age/level. Already 21 for the full season, came out of the SEC and went to playing in Aberdeen. But 4 months younger than Bradfield!

I do like his season, but this level isn't great compared to his college pedigree. I look forward to seeing if he forces his way to Bowie at some point next year. 

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Age/level. Already 21 for the full season, came out of the SEC and went to playing in Aberdeen. But 4 months younger than Bradfield!

I do like his season, but this level isn't great compared to his college pedigree. I look forward to seeing if he forces his way to Bowie at some point next year. 

What does the line about this level and college pedigree mean?   The SEC on the whole is not nearly as good as high A ball.   There are a few elite college prospects who are better than that level at age 21.  Very few.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

What does the line about this level and college pedigree mean?   The SEC on the whole is not nearly as good as high A ball.   There are a few elite college prospects who are better than that level at age 21.  Very few.

I actually was putting Aberdeen in Low A, not high A. I forgot about the change.