John Means pitching for Bowie tonight?

ace20251

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is definitely his last rehab start, because his 30-day rehab period expires before he could make another start.  So, the O’s must activate him or option him to the minors after this.  Means threw his first rehab game on August 10, so the decision on where he goes must be made by Sept. 9, this Saturday.  

This is worded correctly, but I'm not sure everyone quite picks up on the nuance. (Many probably won't care. :)  )

Means will start today as part of his rehab. The O's have to end his rehab by Saturday. At that point he can either be in Baltimore or he can be placed on the AAA team and continue to pitch there.

So yeah, his rehab has to end, but that doesn't mean he has to pitch for Baltimore when it's over. I assume he will. Just a chance of him being formally assigned to the minors instead.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

This is great info, Frobby.    I think you could see a case with having Rodriguez, Bradish, Means, and another added quality starter (which @The B&G suggested), you can picture Kremer as a #5.    And...that would be darn nice! 

Yes, I could see that if Means comes back strong next year.  Food for thought: Means has never thrown more than 157.2 innings in a season.  Kremer should easily sail past that this season (he’s at 154.2 now).   

• Upvote 1

Just now, theobird said:

So dreaming out loud here. If Means comes up this weekend and proceeds to pitch like the John Means we all love and miss, Would he be eligible to pitch in the postseason? Or just down the stretch?

Pretty sure yes to the postseason.  I think as long as you are on the 40-man OR the 60 day IL as of 8/31, you are eligible.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

Means is at 38P though 3 innings with 3H 1R, 1BB, 2K's. Run was a double then a single. FB 91-92.

Looks like he'll need an offseason to get his velocity back to where it was, if he does manage to do so.

I don't think Means at 91-92 is going to be much more than a Cole Irvin type or slightly better, tbh. The Means we know and love was sitting higher than that after his velocity increase in the minors. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Flash- bd said:

Looks like he'll need an offseason to get his velocity back to where it was, if he does manage to do so.

I don't think Means at 91-92 is going to be much more than a Cole Irvin type or slightly better, tbh. The Means we know and love was sitting higher than that after his velocity increase in the minors. 

Strugged a bit in the 4th, he's at 58P with 3R  2BB and 3K's. Fastball mostly 90 and the changeup is 79-81. He's not fooling a lot of people on Jax.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Where did you hear this?

https://x.com/afkostka/status/1699212706149208520?s=46&t=G3On-_LleGmZce-r3ClVZA

It has to happen at some point. Hard to imagine they are going to giving guys 5-6 days rest in between starts the rest of the year only to potentially ask them to come back on normal rest in the playoffs.

At some point, they will need to get back into a normal routine.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://x.com/afkostka/status/1699212706149208520?s=46&t=G3On-_LleGmZce-r3ClVZA

It has to happen at some point. Hard to imagine they are going to giving guys 5-6 days rest in between starts the rest of the year only to potentially ask them to come back on normal rest in the playoffs.

At some point, they will need to get back into a normal routine.

For sure.  What I have seen with a 6 man is it is really complicated re the bullpen. I can see how it could hurt the Angels a bit. 

I swear, MLB has the absolute worst designed and most buggy apps I have ever seen.  At least half the time when trying to watch minors with my overcharging MLB. TV app through their First Pass or whatever they are calling MiLB. tv then it just tells me to download the app (though it is already on my device) and doesn’t recognize my MLB. tV logon credentials.  You go to chat support .. nothing .. grrr bunch of 12 year olds running everything 

Edited by tntoriole