Padres series

Frobby

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Now the real question will Orioles announcers just refer to Manny Machado as "that guy" at third base all series?

Maybe it will be like Tecmo Bowl when they didn't have the license to use Randall Cunnungham's name and he was just called QB Eagles in the game.

1_WlcoGVxfO2Z2Pmg7V44p2Q.0.jpeg

If Manny is "QB Eagles", then here's to Gunnar being our Bo Jackson!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I suspect this is part of the reason the Padres underperform, though certainly not the only reason.

They have star pitchers and hitters, but how many of those stars are great defenders, or good at manufacturing runs, moving runners over, etc.?

It feels like a team that if you keep the ball in the park and grind out a few runs, you have a sold chance to win.

Yea I don’t know how athletic they are. I never watch them and while all of these guys are great athletes, different players excel differently in various types of parks.

That’s why I like what the Os are now and what they will be. They have a range of guys that can do different things and allows them to play different ways.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t know how athletic they are. I never watch them and while all of these guys are great athletes, different players excel differently in various types of parks.

That’s why I like what the Os are now and what they will be. They have a range of guys that can do different things and allows them to play different ways.

They are 3rd in the league in DRS. We are better at SS, LF, and P, they are better everywhere else in DRS.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Rodriguez (2-3, 5.84 ERA) vs. Darvish (8-7, 4.19)

Flaherty (8-7, 4.33$ vs. Wacha (8-2, 2.84) 

Kremer (11-4, 4.50) vs. Snell (9-8, 2.63)

On paper, the Padres have a big edge in all three pitching matchups, but the Padres have been far less than the sum of their parts.   Their Pythagorean record, at 65-53, is 9 games worse than their actual record.  Meanwhile the O’s have the identical Pythag to the Padres, but have exceeded it by 8 games.   

Darvish has pitched well of late, 2.55 ERA in his last 6 starts, with 5 of those starts being very good.  Shockingly, he’s only faced the Orioles once in his career, all the way back in 2016.   Wacha is coming off the IL, having last pitched a major league game on July 1.  The Padres are wasting no time reinserting him into the rotation, as he pitched only one rehab game, for 2 innings.  So, we can expect a short start for Wacha on Tuesday.  He has not fared well against the Orioles in the past, posting a 5.87 ERA against them in 9 starts.  Snell has been on fire, posting an incredible 1.16 ERA over his last 15 starts, though averaging only 5.67 IP in those starts.  The O’s have had pretty decent success against Snell in the past (4.58 ERA in 7 starts), but haven’t seen him since 2020.

The Padres rank 14th in runs/game at 4.58, whereas the Orioles average 4.87, 6th in MLB.  Both teams, however, have a 105 OPS+.   I think it’s fair to say that all the Padres’ key hitters (Soto, Machado, Tatis, Bogaerts) are having disappointing seasons, though for Soto, .915 OPS is his idea of “disappointing,” given his .944 career mark    The Padres are certainly a team capable of exploding at any time.

The Padres’ bullpen is a respectable 12th in MLB in ERA at 3.98, but they’ve been remarkably unclutch, sporting a 14-25 record.  They’ve allowed 39% on inherited runners to score, 2nd worst in MLB, and their 56% save rate is 7th worst.  The O’s pen, meanwhile, is 33-15, with a 3.62 ERA, 6th best in MLB.  Their inherited runner percentage is 37%, 7th worst in MLB, and their 60% save rate is 13th worst in MLB.  So, the O’s have the better bullpen in almost every respect, though our pen certainly has its flaws.  Hader is still very dominant at the back end (0.86 ERA) if they can get to him with the lead.

So, as often seems to be the case, the O’s goal should be to work the count and get the Padres’ starters out of the game as early as possible, and take advantage of their shaky middle relievers.   The Pads will look to do the same.  Should be a good series.  

The Pythag differential is in one run games.  The O's really put it to Pythag this weekend.