Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, that’s the other part of this equation..,Hyde just needs to play Cowser. I don’t mind him sitting vs the best lefties and I don’t even mind pinch hitting for him late in the game if a tough lefty reliever is out there.

But he should be starting 2/3-3/4 of the games and that is plenty for him And as he starts to hit and get more comfortable in the field, he can play more.

Totally disagree here. This is not the time or place for "on the job training".

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, that’s the other part of this equation..,Hyde just needs to play Cowser. I don’t mind him sitting vs the best lefties and I don’t even mind pinch hitting for him late in the game if a tough lefty reliever is out there.

But he should be starting 2/3-3/4 of the games and that is plenty for him And as he starts to hit and get more comfortable in the field, he can play more.

Why would we start a guy who doesn’t even belong on the roster 66-75% of the games?

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem is he's hitting .115, and is not playing great defense. It could very well end up costing us. He will get his big league at bats. Relax.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s all a SSS and means very little.

I don’t disagree that he isn’t driving the ball. I also don’t care and don’t feel it’s something he can’t get past.

You are all hanging onto this concept that Hicks provides value.  He really doesn’t, not for us. We have guys to fill the role that he can.

Even if you want to still send down Cowser, which I disagree with, you bring up Ortiz or Kjerstad. 

Everything this team is doing now has zero to do with winning tonight or tomorrow. It’s about winning in October, thus why Mateo is still here.

Come October, with another 7 weeks full of regular at bats, Cowser makes us a better team than Hicks does.

In the longer term, I agree on Cowser. Absolutely. He just isn’t close to the guy he should eventually be, right now. I do not see progress, if anything there has been a regression. 

Hicks is not much better, and he’ll probably get hurt again soon. He will give us a better and longer at bat while he is in there. Hicks swing is actually quite flawed lately, but was a little better and more compact when he first came over. He disengages his back side and gets long, and on both sides too. I’m not much of a fan of Hicks, but credit to the guy for giving us a spark.

I agree it’s about October. Hicks will give us better at bats then too, if he is actually healthy enough. And, I trust him to make plays in the OF much more so. 

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know what this means.

I personally don't think Cowser should have been sent down.  But I bet they're hoping that Hicks can catch lightning in a bottle again after being activated...similar to how he started here when we picked him up.  

Cowser's going to have his day in the sun, possibly in a few weeks again after rosters expand.  I believe he was a bit unlucky even though I hate the unlucky argument.  

It was a little humor, describing a whipped puppy who puddles when he is scared. It’s over the top, but he does look over whelmed and timid right now.

Cowser has a ways to go to make the adjustments he needs in all phases. The game is moving too fast for him right now. I’m a believer in the guy, just not there for him yet. They need guys who are not easy to pitch to. He is an easy out right now. It is that simple for me. Hicks will run into one now and then against quality pitching. 

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

That "teflon" he's made of... scored the go ahead run yesterday because of his speed and base running skills...that aint nothin'...

And how many games has his non-existent bat and poor late inning defense helped lose?

29 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

But does he have 50,000 message board posts?

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, but 49,500 of them says he doesn’t care what the counter argument is saying.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pft Rookie numbers.

You guys are quite entertaining. LOL This page is great. 😅

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

It was a little humor, describing a whipped puppy who puddles when he is scared. It’s over the top, but he does look over whelmed and timid right now.

Cowser has a ways to go to make the adjustments he needs in all phases. The game is moving too fast for him right now. I’m a believer in the guy, just not there for him yet. They need guys who are not easy to pitch to. He is an easy out right now. It is that simple for me. Hicks will run into one now and then against quality pitching. 

I get that, I just don't think he looks that overwhelmed or timid.

I also think he's hit the ball hard, he's just drilled it right at fielders.  His patience at the plate is fantastic and I think overall he's pretty good.